Re: [midatlanticretro] MAC SE used for art projects

  • Ryan Harvey
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007
      First off, I poked through the instructions. Turns they used an SE for insructional purposes. I also came to realize that was a mouse on the back.

      Now, to answer where I am:

      I moved to Texas from West Virginia. So, I am way down in Texas. This summe, I am moving BACK to WV. I came to here from the VC forums, of which I believe you are a member.

      --Ryan
      (Yzzerdd)

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007
        "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

        > Take a look at this:

        [Mac Classic painted orange and screen displays a Jack O Lantern]

        > I don't know how many of you have a MAC with this chassis design,
        but if
        > you to, chances are it no longer works. They just take up space.
        These
        > are very hard to restore and the newer SE's are not worth much even
        if they
        > do work. You all know me as someone who avoids destroying an old
        computer
        > for art's sake, but personally I waive this rule for the less-rare MAC
        > SE's...anyone second that opinion? I am tempted to try something
        like this
        > myself, someone tell me I am making a mistake :-)

        1) Bill, people have turned old "compact" Macs into acquariums,
        terrariums, and doorstops for years. Artists have used "found art",
        common objects as art elements, since the Dada movement in the early
        20th century. Nothing you or I will say, will change that.

        2) The Mac SE/30 is quite popular in Japan and among other collectors.
        I have a business in which I sell parts for these "compact" Macs. Many
        are still in use by individuals. Yes, someone buys a computer and uses
        it for years and years and YEARS. As old computers go, they have a
        surprising working lifetime.

        3) Of course, these turn up for free or nearly so. It's hard to tell
        someone what they should do, with a free item.

        My Web site for my Mac stuff is at the link below.

        http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/mac.html

        herb johnson

        --

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      • Bryan Pope
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007
          Ryan Harvey wrote:
          > I moved to Texas from West Virginia. So, I am way down in Texas. This
          > summe, I am moving BACK to WV. I came to here from the VC forums, of
          > which I believe you are a member.
          >
          > --Ryan
          > (Yzzerdd)
          As am I.. :)

          Cheers,

          Bryan
          (80sFreak)
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007
            At 03:42 PM 11/2/2007 +0000, you wrote:
            > "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Take a look at this:
            > >
            >[Mac Classic painted orange and screen displays a Jack O Lantern]
            >
            > > I don't know how many of you have a MAC with this chassis design,
            >but if
            > > you to, chances are it no longer works. They just take up space.
            >These
            > > are very hard to restore and the newer SE's are not worth much even
            >if they
            > > do work. You all know me as someone who avoids destroying an old
            >computer
            > > for art's sake, but personally I waive this rule for the less-rare MAC
            > > SE's...anyone second that opinion? I am tempted to try something
            >like this
            > > myself, someone tell me I am making a mistake :-)
            >
            >1) Bill, people have turned old "compact" Macs into acquariums,
            >terrariums, and doorstops for years. Artists have used "found art",
            >common objects as art elements, since the Dada movement in the early
            >20th century. Nothing you or I will say, will change that.

            I am aware of this...My point was that it goes against my nature to defile
            a computer in any way, but I am tempted to try something with a beyond-hope
            "compact" MAC, they're just so darn cute.

            bd
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 3, 2007

              I'm sorta the same way. There's some options to this. With a bit of creativity, you can get one of them big molded plastic pumpkins (at Michaels)and carve out a window for the screen to let it shine thru and slide it over the mac without having to paint/glue/cut it. And if it's a working Mac, you'll have more fun then putting Halloween animations on it --with sound of course :)

              =Dan
              [ "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them"     ]
              [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]

              B. Degnan wrote:
              I am aware of this...My point was that it goes against my nature to defile
              a computer in any way, but I am tempted to try something with a beyond-hope
              "compact" MAC, they're just so darn cute.

              bd

            • fieldfan1
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 4, 2007

                http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/3432d549436f5110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd/7.html

                > I don't know how many of you have a MAC with this chassis design,
                but if
                > you to, chances are it no longer works. They just take up space.
                These
                > are very hard to restore and the newer SE's are not worth much even
                if they
                > do work. You all know me as someone who avoids destroying an old
                computer
                > for art's sake, but personally I waive this rule for the less-rare MAC
                > SE's...anyone second that opinion? I am tempted to try something
                like this
                > myself, someone tell me I am making a mistake :-)
                >

                > ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?

                PLEASE do not destroy a functioning Mac for an art project. It's like
                gutting a working Plus for a Macquarium.