Re: [midatlanticretro] 30 years of mass-produced home computers...

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
      B. Degnan wrote:
      >> P.S. Hey Bill D. - The person who wrote the article actually *liked* the
      >> TRS-80 Model 1! ;)
      >>

      > I would *like* to throw my TRS 80 stringy floppy into the river.

      Then it would skip across the water, thereby putting its read/write
      heads further out of alignment, before finally careening into a rock
      jutting out of the river which ends its long and productive life..

      :-)

      Cheers,

      Bryan
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
        At 09:59 AM 11/2/2007 -0400, you wrote:
        >B. Degnan wrote:
        > >> P.S. Hey Bill D. - The person who wrote the article actually *liked* the
        > >> TRS-80 Model 1! ;)
        > >>

        > > I would *like* to throw my TRS 80 stringy floppy into the river.
        > >
        >Then it would skip across the water, thereby putting its read/write
        >heads further out of alignment, before finally careening into a rock
        >jutting out of the river which ends its long and productive life..
        >
        >:-)

        long and productive life? ha.
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
          "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

          > > > I would *like* to throw my TRS 80 stringy floppy into the river.
          > > >
          > >Then it would skip across the water, thereby putting its read/write
          > >heads further out of alignment, before finally careening into a rock
          > >jutting out of the river which ends its long and productive life..
          > >
          > >:-)
          >

          > long and productive life? ha.

          Brian or other readers may not know that the "stringy floppy" is a
          small tape cassette technology, not a floppy diskette technology. It
          was built by one company only, to my knowledge, and simply did not
          catch on. So Bill's point is reasonable. In a bit of irony, I read
          this after I posted here on the long and productive life of "compact"
          Macs.

          As to the thread subject's Web site, the article mentioned starts like
          this:

          "It has been thirty years since the first wave of mass-produced home
          computers ignited a revolution. 1977 saw the introduction of the
          so-called "Big Three": The Apple ][, Tandy/Radio Shack TRS-80 Model I
          and the Commodore PET 2000. These machines dominated the North
          American market for several years."

          Actually, it's a surprisingly reasonable and specific claim. Most of
          these "decades of personal computing" articles suggest that one event
          or one company - usually Microsoft or IBM - started it all. This one
          makes specific claims and so its claims can be tested and argued. And,
          it does NOT suggest that there was no computing BEFORE these machines.

          I don't follow these systems in my work, but I knew about them at the
          time. Does anyone want to argue about this "big three in 1977" claim?
          Were there other systems, mass produced about that time, which led to
          a whole product line as these machines and companies did? Of course
          "thirty years" is a nice reference point and so is a little arbitrary
          in that way. WOuld 1976, or 1978 be more "accurate", and why?

          Herb Johnson

          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
            Important to clarify: that is NOT an "article", it's just a blog post. James happens to be a pretty good blogger.

            However, in that post he made a GLARING mistake. He says VisiCalc is the "the world's first spreadsheet program"... that's not even close to true.
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007

              > > >Then it would skip across the water, thereby putting its read/write
              > > >heads further out of alignment, before finally careening into a rock
              > > >jutting out of the river which ends its long and productive life..
              > > >
              > > >:-)
              > >

              > > long and productive life? ha.

              >Brian or other readers may not know that the "stringy floppy" is a
              >small tape cassette technology, not a floppy diskette technology. It
              >was built by one company only, to my knowledge, and simply did not
              >catch on. So Bill's point is reasonable. In a bit of irony, I read
              >this after I posted here on the long and productive life of "compact"
              >Macs.

              My VCF exhibit covered the concept of the "appliance computer" and the
              stringy floppy, but that was not the original plan. I had spoken with
              Lichen Wang who wrote the ROM for the drive, and I also spoke with the
              inventor (his name escapes me at the moment) of the stringy floppy at
              Exatron (a company that's still in business). I was all set, except that
              the drives did not work!

              Anyway, I was really only half serious about not liking either the TRS 80
              or the stringy floppy...I was referring mostly to my frustration that my
              original plan for the VCF, to exhibit the stringy floppy primarily, was
              squelshed due to technical problems. As a result I had to resort to the
              more boring/common TRS 80 Model 1 for my exhibit. In hindsight I should
              have just done the Altair 680b.

              >As to the thread subject's Web site, the article mentioned starts like
              >this:
              >
              >"It has been thirty years since the first wave of mass-produced home
              >computers ignited a revolution. 1977 saw the introduction of the
              >so-called "Big Three": The Apple ][, Tandy/Radio Shack TRS-80 Model I
              >and the Commodore PET 2000. These machines dominated the North
              >American market for several years."

              From the original text of the article "PET 2000"...?? Are there any fact
              checkers for these people? I noticed that there were a few errors and
              semi-errors in this article.

              >Actually, it's a surprisingly reasonable and specific claim. Most of
              >these "decades of personal computing" articles suggest that one event
              >or one company - usually Microsoft or IBM - started it all. This one
              >makes specific claims and so its claims can be tested and argued. And,
              >it does NOT suggest that there was no computing BEFORE these machines.

              Personally, of the first "appliance computers" I favor the PET 2001-8 and
              the Apple II to the TRS 80 Model 1, but all three have their claim to fame
              for just this one thing - all-in-one, out-of-the-box computers.

              Next week in class the topic will be early 1982. details: the "IBM PC vs.
              the XOR S-4", "MS DOS vs. CP/M", "SA vs. S-100", and " 8" disks vs. 5
              1/4" " ...with live demos.

              >I don't follow these systems in my work, but I knew about them at the
              >time. Does anyone want to argue about this "big three in 1977" claim?
              >
              >Were there other systems, mass produced about that time, which led to
              >a whole product line as these machines and companies did? Of course
              >"thirty years" is a nice reference point and so is a little arbitrary
              >in that way. WOuld 1976, or 1978 be more "accurate", and why?

              I have written a lot about the subject of the "appliance computer" on my
              web site for the past 6 months. What other computers in 1977 or before had
              a computer with a built-in operating system out of the box other than these
              three? All three could interact with cassette mass storage without any
              additional configuration. The Sol-20 and Icom's ATTACHE computers, ALMOST
              all-in-ones at the time, cannot claim this feature out of the box without
              additional software or cards.

              50, 30, 25, 20 years? - just convenient non-tech numbers.
              If you want to be a purist...2 to the 5th years - 32 - is more binary,
              yes? How about we celebrate the 32nd anniversary of the something? The
              16th is too soon.

              The above are just opinions, I hope I did not offend anyone, just blabbing...

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
                correction

                Next week in class the topic will be early 1982.  details: the "IBM PC vs.
                the XOR S-4", "MS DOS vs. CP/M", "ISA vs. S-100", and "  8" disks vs. 5
                1/4"  " ...with live demos.
              • Bob Applegate
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
                  B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote :

                  > I have written a lot about the subject of the "appliance computer" on my
                  > web site for the past 6 months. What other computers in 1977 or before had
                  > a computer with a built-in operating system out of the box other than these
                  > three? All three could interact with cassette mass storage without any
                  > additional configuration. The Sol-20 and Icom's ATTACHE computers, ALMOST
                  > all-in-ones at the time, cannot claim this feature out of the box without
                  > additional software or cards.

                  I would argue that having a built in "operating system" (it's debatable) wasn't
                  key, but maybe these basic features:

                  * Keyboard
                  * Video display
                  * Enough RAM to be useful
                  * Enough software in ROM to be useful
                  * Some sort of mass storage, even if cassette tape

                  With those elements, someone could buy "a computer" that would allow them to
                  immediately start playing with it, maybe write a simple program, get some
                  software, etc, without the need to immediately expand it.

                  Bob

                  NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 3, 2007
                    Bill,

                    Is this course material online at the Univ ?

                    =Dan
                    [ "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them"     ]
                    [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]