Re: [midatlanticretro] was Kim-1 info now GEOS

  • Billy D'Augustine
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 19, 2005
      On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 13:58:57 -0500
      billdeg@... wrote:

      > Jumping topic..Does anyone use GEOS anymore?

      delurking to insert the following:

      http://cmdrkey.com/cbm/geos/geos1.html
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 19, 2005
        Hi,

        I recall the Apple Lisa being the first home computer system with a GUI,
        the precursor to the Macintosh. This is one machine I'm still looking
        out for to add to my collection.

        Dan

        billdeg@... wrote:

        > [snip]
        >
        > The oldest GUI I ever used was an old Xerox system when I worked at
        > IBM in the 80's (do not have one now). An interesting exhibit for the
        > TCF or VCF would be "primitive GUI's." I have an Apple II GS with a
        > GUI, but this is newer. I don't know as much about earlier Apple
        > GUI's. I assume that their earlies GUI beat GEOS to the market?
        >
        > Back in the day I was a DOS man and did not care for early GUI's that
        > much. Loaded it, played with it, put it away. DOS was more productive
        > until Windows 98. I admit that I still use DOS daily in my job
        > (programming/server support)
        >
        > bill
        > vintagecomputer.net
      • evan
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 19, 2005
          It's easy to find Lisa II (and later) systems, but the original Lisa is
          extremely rare. Recently one sold on eBay for roughly 10K.

          --- Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I recall the Apple Lisa being the first home computer system with a GUI,
          > the precursor to the Macintosh. This is one machine I'm still looking
          > out for to add to my collection.
          >
          > Dan
          >
          > billdeg@... wrote:
          >
          > > [snip]
          > >
          > > The oldest GUI I ever used was an old Xerox system when I worked at
          > > IBM in the 80's (do not have one now). An interesting exhibit for the
          > > TCF or VCF would be "primitive GUI's." I have an Apple II GS with a
          > > GUI, but this is newer. I don't know as much about earlier Apple
          > > GUI's. I assume that their earlies GUI beat GEOS to the market?
          > >
          > > Back in the day I was a DOS man and did not care for early GUI's that
          > > much. Loaded it, played with it, put it away. DOS was more productive
          > > until Windows 98. I admit that I still use DOS daily in my job
          > > (programming/server support)
          > >
          > > bill
          > > vintagecomputer.net

          =====
          Evan's personal homepage: www.snarc.net

          *** Tell your friends about the Computer Collector Newsletter!
          - It's free and we'll never send spam or share your email address
          - Publishing every Monday(-ish), ask about writing for us
          - 684 readers and counting!
        • Dan
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 20, 2005
            Well, that'll bust my budget 100 times over, -ouch-

            Dan

          • billdeg@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 20, 2005
              Dan
              Thanks.
              Here is a good web site for GEOS history
              http://www.commodore.ca/history/company/turks_geos.htm
              Basically is was many years newer.