30 years of mass-produced home computers...

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
      http://www.retrothing.com/

      (or direct to the article after new ones are added:
      http://www.retrothing.com/2007/11/8-bit-classics-.html )

      Cheers,

      Bryan

      P.S. Hey Bill D. - The person who wrote the article actually *liked* the
      TRS-80 Model 1! ;)
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007

        >P.S. Hey Bill D. - The person who wrote the article actually *liked* the
        >TRS-80 Model 1! ;)

        I would *like* to throw my TRS 80 stringy floppy into the river.
      • Bryan Pope
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
          B. Degnan wrote:
          >> P.S. Hey Bill D. - The person who wrote the article actually *liked* the
          >> TRS-80 Model 1! ;)
          >>

          > I would *like* to throw my TRS 80 stringy floppy into the river.

          Then it would skip across the water, thereby putting its read/write
          heads further out of alignment, before finally careening into a rock
          jutting out of the river which ends its long and productive life..

          :-)

          Cheers,

          Bryan
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
            At 09:59 AM 11/2/2007 -0400, you wrote:
            >B. Degnan wrote:
            > >> P.S. Hey Bill D. - The person who wrote the article actually *liked* the
            > >> TRS-80 Model 1! ;)
            > >>

            > > I would *like* to throw my TRS 80 stringy floppy into the river.
            > >
            >Then it would skip across the water, thereby putting its read/write
            >heads further out of alignment, before finally careening into a rock
            >jutting out of the river which ends its long and productive life..
            >
            >:-)

            long and productive life? ha.
          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
              "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

              > > > I would *like* to throw my TRS 80 stringy floppy into the river.
              > > >
              > >Then it would skip across the water, thereby putting its read/write
              > >heads further out of alignment, before finally careening into a rock
              > >jutting out of the river which ends its long and productive life..
              > >
              > >:-)
              >

              > long and productive life? ha.

              Brian or other readers may not know that the "stringy floppy" is a
              small tape cassette technology, not a floppy diskette technology. It
              was built by one company only, to my knowledge, and simply did not
              catch on. So Bill's point is reasonable. In a bit of irony, I read
              this after I posted here on the long and productive life of "compact"
              Macs.

              As to the thread subject's Web site, the article mentioned starts like
              this:

              "It has been thirty years since the first wave of mass-produced home
              computers ignited a revolution. 1977 saw the introduction of the
              so-called "Big Three": The Apple ][, Tandy/Radio Shack TRS-80 Model I
              and the Commodore PET 2000. These machines dominated the North
              American market for several years."

              Actually, it's a surprisingly reasonable and specific claim. Most of
              these "decades of personal computing" articles suggest that one event
              or one company - usually Microsoft or IBM - started it all. This one
              makes specific claims and so its claims can be tested and argued. And,
              it does NOT suggest that there was no computing BEFORE these machines.

              I don't follow these systems in my work, but I knew about them at the
              time. Does anyone want to argue about this "big three in 1977" claim?
              Were there other systems, mass produced about that time, which led to
              a whole product line as these machines and companies did? Of course
              "thirty years" is a nice reference point and so is a little arbitrary
              in that way. WOuld 1976, or 1978 be more "accurate", and why?

              Herb Johnson

              Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
                Important to clarify: that is NOT an "article", it's just a blog post. James happens to be a pretty good blogger.

                However, in that post he made a GLARING mistake. He says VisiCalc is the "the world's first spreadsheet program"... that's not even close to true.
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007

                  > > >Then it would skip across the water, thereby putting its read/write
                  > > >heads further out of alignment, before finally careening into a rock
                  > > >jutting out of the river which ends its long and productive life..
                  > > >
                  > > >:-)
                  > >

                  > > long and productive life? ha.

                  >Brian or other readers may not know that the "stringy floppy" is a
                  >small tape cassette technology, not a floppy diskette technology. It
                  >was built by one company only, to my knowledge, and simply did not
                  >catch on. So Bill's point is reasonable. In a bit of irony, I read
                  >this after I posted here on the long and productive life of "compact"
                  >Macs.

                  My VCF exhibit covered the concept of the "appliance computer" and the
                  stringy floppy, but that was not the original plan. I had spoken with
                  Lichen Wang who wrote the ROM for the drive, and I also spoke with the
                  inventor (his name escapes me at the moment) of the stringy floppy at
                  Exatron (a company that's still in business). I was all set, except that
                  the drives did not work!

                  Anyway, I was really only half serious about not liking either the TRS 80
                  or the stringy floppy...I was referring mostly to my frustration that my
                  original plan for the VCF, to exhibit the stringy floppy primarily, was
                  squelshed due to technical problems. As a result I had to resort to the
                  more boring/common TRS 80 Model 1 for my exhibit. In hindsight I should
                  have just done the Altair 680b.

                  >As to the thread subject's Web site, the article mentioned starts like
                  >this:
                  >
                  >"It has been thirty years since the first wave of mass-produced home
                  >computers ignited a revolution. 1977 saw the introduction of the
                  >so-called "Big Three": The Apple ][, Tandy/Radio Shack TRS-80 Model I
                  >and the Commodore PET 2000. These machines dominated the North
                  >American market for several years."

                  From the original text of the article "PET 2000"...?? Are there any fact
                  checkers for these people? I noticed that there were a few errors and
                  semi-errors in this article.

                  >Actually, it's a surprisingly reasonable and specific claim. Most of
                  >these "decades of personal computing" articles suggest that one event
                  >or one company - usually Microsoft or IBM - started it all. This one
                  >makes specific claims and so its claims can be tested and argued. And,
                  >it does NOT suggest that there was no computing BEFORE these machines.

                  Personally, of the first "appliance computers" I favor the PET 2001-8 and
                  the Apple II to the TRS 80 Model 1, but all three have their claim to fame
                  for just this one thing - all-in-one, out-of-the-box computers.

                  Next week in class the topic will be early 1982. details: the "IBM PC vs.
                  the XOR S-4", "MS DOS vs. CP/M", "SA vs. S-100", and " 8" disks vs. 5
                  1/4" " ...with live demos.

                  >I don't follow these systems in my work, but I knew about them at the
                  >time. Does anyone want to argue about this "big three in 1977" claim?
                  >
                  >Were there other systems, mass produced about that time, which led to
                  >a whole product line as these machines and companies did? Of course
                  >"thirty years" is a nice reference point and so is a little arbitrary
                  >in that way. WOuld 1976, or 1978 be more "accurate", and why?

                  I have written a lot about the subject of the "appliance computer" on my
                  web site for the past 6 months. What other computers in 1977 or before had
                  a computer with a built-in operating system out of the box other than these
                  three? All three could interact with cassette mass storage without any
                  additional configuration. The Sol-20 and Icom's ATTACHE computers, ALMOST
                  all-in-ones at the time, cannot claim this feature out of the box without
                  additional software or cards.

                  50, 30, 25, 20 years? - just convenient non-tech numbers.
                  If you want to be a purist...2 to the 5th years - 32 - is more binary,
                  yes? How about we celebrate the 32nd anniversary of the something? The
                  16th is too soon.

                  The above are just opinions, I hope I did not offend anyone, just blabbing...

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
                    correction

                    Next week in class the topic will be early 1982.  details: the "IBM PC vs.
                    the XOR S-4", "MS DOS vs. CP/M", "ISA vs. S-100", and "  8" disks vs. 5
                    1/4"  " ...with live demos.
                  • Bob Applegate
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 2, 2007
                      B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote :

                      > I have written a lot about the subject of the "appliance computer" on my
                      > web site for the past 6 months. What other computers in 1977 or before had
                      > a computer with a built-in operating system out of the box other than these
                      > three? All three could interact with cassette mass storage without any
                      > additional configuration. The Sol-20 and Icom's ATTACHE computers, ALMOST
                      > all-in-ones at the time, cannot claim this feature out of the box without
                      > additional software or cards.

                      I would argue that having a built in "operating system" (it's debatable) wasn't
                      key, but maybe these basic features:

                      * Keyboard
                      * Video display
                      * Enough RAM to be useful
                      * Enough software in ROM to be useful
                      * Some sort of mass storage, even if cassette tape

                      With those elements, someone could buy "a computer" that would allow them to
                      immediately start playing with it, maybe write a simple program, get some
                      software, etc, without the need to immediately expand it.

                      Bob

                      NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 3, 2007
                        Bill,

                        Is this course material online at the Univ ?

                        =Dan
                        [ "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them"     ]
                        [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]