Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [midatlanticretro] MAC SE used for art projects

Expand Messages
  • Bryan Pope
    ... Ok, you are making a mistake... :) But according to the article, it looks like these machines are working as it says a well-placed full-screen
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      B. Degnan wrote:
      > Take a look at this:
      >
      > _http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/3432d549436f5110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd/7.html
      >
      > _I don't know how many of you have a MAC with this chassis design, but
      > if you to, chances are it no longer works. They just take up space.
      > These are very hard to restore and the newer SE's are not worth much
      > even if they do work. You all know me as someone who avoids
      > destroying an old computer for art's sake, but personally I waive this
      > rule for the less-rare MAC SE's...anyone second that opinion? I am
      > tempted to try something like this myself, someone tell me I am making
      > a mistake :-)
      >
      Ok, you are making a mistake... :) <duck> But according to the
      article, it looks like these machines are working as it says "a
      well-placed full-screen image (transferred via floppy disc, of course)."

      Cheers,

      Bryan

      > ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?
      >
    • billdeg@degnanco.com
      Once I hollowed out a commodore 128 d to use as a laptop docking station
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        Once I hollowed out a commodore 128 d to use as a laptop docking station
      • Ryan Harvey
        First off, I poked through the instructions. Turns they used an SE for insructional purposes. I also came to realize that was a mouse on the back. Now, to
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          First off, I poked through the instructions. Turns they used an SE for insructional purposes. I also came to realize that was a mouse on the back.
           
          Now, to answer where I am:
           
          I moved to Texas from West Virginia. So, I am way down in Texas. This summe, I am moving BACK to WV. I came to here from the VC forums, of which I believe you are a member.
           
          --Ryan
          (Yzzerdd)

          __________________________________________________
          Do You Yahoo!?
          Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • John Allain
          ... Admitedly, very common. ... Why so? My experience is about a 20% failure rate. ... Do you like this club or not? (smiley) But sources did say that Steve
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            > I don't know how many of you have a MAC with this chassis design,
            Admitedly, very common.

            > but if you to, chances are it no longer works.
            Why so? My experience is about a 20% failure rate.

            > They just take up space.
            Do you like this club or not? (smiley)

            But sources did say that Steve Jobs himself used one for a doorstop.

            John A.
          • Herb Johnson
            ... [Mac Classic painted orange and screen displays a Jack O Lantern] ... but if ... These ... if they ... computer ... like this ... 1) Bill, people have
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
              >
              > Take a look at this:
              >
              [Mac Classic painted orange and screen displays a Jack O Lantern]

              > I don't know how many of you have a MAC with this chassis design,
              but if
              > you to, chances are it no longer works. They just take up space.
              These
              > are very hard to restore and the newer SE's are not worth much even
              if they
              > do work. You all know me as someone who avoids destroying an old
              computer
              > for art's sake, but personally I waive this rule for the less-rare MAC
              > SE's...anyone second that opinion? I am tempted to try something
              like this
              > myself, someone tell me I am making a mistake :-)

              1) Bill, people have turned old "compact" Macs into acquariums,
              terrariums, and doorstops for years. Artists have used "found art",
              common objects as art elements, since the Dada movement in the early
              20th century. Nothing you or I will say, will change that.

              2) The Mac SE/30 is quite popular in Japan and among other collectors.
              I have a business in which I sell parts for these "compact" Macs. Many
              are still in use by individuals. Yes, someone buys a computer and uses
              it for years and years and YEARS. As old computers go, they have a
              surprising working lifetime.

              3) Of course, these turn up for free or nearly so. It's hard to tell
              someone what they should do, with a free item.

              My Web site for my Mac stuff is at the link below.

              http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/mac.html

              herb johnson

              --

              Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
              http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/ web site
              http://www.retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/ domain mirror
              my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
              if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
              "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
              S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"
            • Bryan Pope
              ... As am I.. :) Cheers, Bryan (80sFreak)
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                Ryan Harvey wrote:
                > I moved to Texas from West Virginia. So, I am way down in Texas. This
                > summe, I am moving BACK to WV. I came to here from the VC forums, of
                > which I believe you are a member.
                >
                > --Ryan
                > (Yzzerdd)
                As am I.. :)

                Cheers,

                Bryan
                (80sFreak)
              • B. Degnan
                ... I am aware of this...My point was that it goes against my nature to defile a computer in any way, but I am tempted to try something with a beyond-hope
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  At 03:42 PM 11/2/2007 +0000, you wrote:
                  > "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Take a look at this:
                  > >
                  >[Mac Classic painted orange and screen displays a Jack O Lantern]
                  >
                  > > I don't know how many of you have a MAC with this chassis design,
                  >but if
                  > > you to, chances are it no longer works. They just take up space.
                  >These
                  > > are very hard to restore and the newer SE's are not worth much even
                  >if they
                  > > do work. You all know me as someone who avoids destroying an old
                  >computer
                  > > for art's sake, but personally I waive this rule for the less-rare MAC
                  > > SE's...anyone second that opinion? I am tempted to try something
                  >like this
                  > > myself, someone tell me I am making a mistake :-)
                  >
                  >1) Bill, people have turned old "compact" Macs into acquariums,
                  >terrariums, and doorstops for years. Artists have used "found art",
                  >common objects as art elements, since the Dada movement in the early
                  >20th century. Nothing you or I will say, will change that.

                  I am aware of this...My point was that it goes against my nature to defile
                  a computer in any way, but I am tempted to try something with a beyond-hope
                  "compact" MAC, they're just so darn cute.

                  bd
                • Dan Roganti
                  I m sorta the same way. There s some options to this. With a bit of creativity, you can get one of them big molded plastic pumpkins (at Michaels)and carve out
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 3, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment

                    I'm sorta the same way. There's some options to this. With a bit of creativity, you can get one of them big molded plastic pumpkins (at Michaels)and carve out a window for the screen to let it shine thru and slide it over the mac without having to paint/glue/cut it. And if it's a working Mac, you'll have more fun then putting Halloween animations on it --with sound of course :)

                    =Dan
                    [ "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them"     ]
                    [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]
                    
                    


                    B. Degnan wrote:
                    I am aware of this...My point was that it goes against my nature to defile 
                    a computer in any way, but I am tempted to try something with a beyond-hope 
                    "compact" MAC, they're just so darn cute.
                    
                    bd
                    
                    
                    
                    
                      
                  • fieldfan1
                    ... http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/3432d549436f5110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd/7.html ... but if ... These ... if they ... computer ... like this ... PLEASE
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 4, 2007
                    • 0 Attachment
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Take a look at this:
                      >
                      >
                      http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/3432d549436f5110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd/7.html
                      >
                      > I don't know how many of you have a MAC with this chassis design,
                      but if
                      > you to, chances are it no longer works. They just take up space.
                      These
                      > are very hard to restore and the newer SE's are not worth much even
                      if they
                      > do work. You all know me as someone who avoids destroying an old
                      computer
                      > for art's sake, but personally I waive this rule for the less-rare MAC
                      > SE's...anyone second that opinion? I am tempted to try something
                      like this
                      > myself, someone tell me I am making a mistake :-)
                      >
                      >
                      > ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?
                      >

                      PLEASE do not destroy a functioning Mac for an art project. It's like
                      gutting a working Plus for a Macquarium.
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.