Re: [midatlanticretro] MAC SE used for art projects

  • Ryan Harvey
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007
      If i'm not mistaken, those are Macintosh Classics. But that is quite cool. The world is crammed with them, and I am totally fine with a few being used for art. Again, it looks quite nice, I guess that speaker on the back is for spooky noises?

      --Ryan

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007
        B. Degnan wrote:
        > Take a look at this:
        >
        > _http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/3432d549436f5110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd/7.html
        >
        > _I don't know how many of you have a MAC with this chassis design, but
        > if you to, chances are it no longer works. They just take up space.
        > These are very hard to restore and the newer SE's are not worth much
        > even if they do work. You all know me as someone who avoids
        > destroying an old computer for art's sake, but personally I waive this
        > rule for the less-rare MAC SE's...anyone second that opinion? I am
        > tempted to try something like this myself, someone tell me I am making
        > a mistake :-)

        Ok, you are making a mistake... :) <duck> But according to the
        article, it looks like these machines are working as it says "a
        well-placed full-screen image (transferred via floppy disc, of course)."

        Cheers,

        Bryan

      • billdeg@degnanco.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007
          Ryan,
          Where are you located?
          Bill

        • billdeg@degnanco.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007
            Once I hollowed out a commodore 128 d to use as a laptop docking station
          • Ryan Harvey
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007
              First off, I poked through the instructions. Turns they used an SE for insructional purposes. I also came to realize that was a mouse on the back.

              Now, to answer where I am:

              I moved to Texas from West Virginia. So, I am way down in Texas. This summe, I am moving BACK to WV. I came to here from the VC forums, of which I believe you are a member.

              --Ryan
              (Yzzerdd)

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • John Allain
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007
                > I don't know how many of you have a MAC with this chassis design,
                Admitedly, very common.

                > but if you to, chances are it no longer works.
                Why so? My experience is about a 20% failure rate.

                > They just take up space.
                Do you like this club or not? (smiley)

                But sources did say that Steve Jobs himself used one for a doorstop.

                John A.
              • Herb Johnson
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007
                  "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                  > Take a look at this:

                  [Mac Classic painted orange and screen displays a Jack O Lantern]

                  > I don't know how many of you have a MAC with this chassis design,
                  but if
                  > you to, chances are it no longer works. They just take up space.
                  These
                  > are very hard to restore and the newer SE's are not worth much even
                  if they
                  > do work. You all know me as someone who avoids destroying an old
                  computer
                  > for art's sake, but personally I waive this rule for the less-rare MAC
                  > SE's...anyone second that opinion? I am tempted to try something
                  like this
                  > myself, someone tell me I am making a mistake :-)

                  1) Bill, people have turned old "compact" Macs into acquariums,
                  terrariums, and doorstops for years. Artists have used "found art",
                  common objects as art elements, since the Dada movement in the early
                  20th century. Nothing you or I will say, will change that.

                  2) The Mac SE/30 is quite popular in Japan and among other collectors.
                  I have a business in which I sell parts for these "compact" Macs. Many
                  are still in use by individuals. Yes, someone buys a computer and uses
                  it for years and years and YEARS. As old computers go, they have a
                  surprising working lifetime.

                  3) Of course, these turn up for free or nearly so. It's hard to tell
                  someone what they should do, with a free item.

                  My Web site for my Mac stuff is at the link below.

                  http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/mac.html

                  herb johnson

                  --

                  Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007
                    Ryan Harvey wrote:
                    > I moved to Texas from West Virginia. So, I am way down in Texas. This
                    > summe, I am moving BACK to WV. I came to here from the VC forums, of
                    > which I believe you are a member.
                    >
                    > --Ryan
                    > (Yzzerdd)
                    As am I.. :)

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan
                    (80sFreak)
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 2, 2007
                      At 03:42 PM 11/2/2007 +0000, you wrote:
                      > "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Take a look at this:
                      > >
                      >[Mac Classic painted orange and screen displays a Jack O Lantern]
                      >
                      > > I don't know how many of you have a MAC with this chassis design,
                      >but if
                      > > you to, chances are it no longer works. They just take up space.
                      >These
                      > > are very hard to restore and the newer SE's are not worth much even
                      >if they
                      > > do work. You all know me as someone who avoids destroying an old
                      >computer
                      > > for art's sake, but personally I waive this rule for the less-rare MAC
                      > > SE's...anyone second that opinion? I am tempted to try something
                      >like this
                      > > myself, someone tell me I am making a mistake :-)
                      >
                      >1) Bill, people have turned old "compact" Macs into acquariums,
                      >terrariums, and doorstops for years. Artists have used "found art",
                      >common objects as art elements, since the Dada movement in the early
                      >20th century. Nothing you or I will say, will change that.

                      I am aware of this...My point was that it goes against my nature to defile
                      a computer in any way, but I am tempted to try something with a beyond-hope
                      "compact" MAC, they're just so darn cute.

                      bd
                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 3, 2007

                        I'm sorta the same way. There's some options to this. With a bit of creativity, you can get one of them big molded plastic pumpkins (at Michaels)and carve out a window for the screen to let it shine thru and slide it over the mac without having to paint/glue/cut it. And if it's a working Mac, you'll have more fun then putting Halloween animations on it --with sound of course :)

                        =Dan
                        [ "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them"     ]
                        [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]

                        B. Degnan wrote:
                        I am aware of this...My point was that it goes against my nature to defile
                        a computer in any way, but I am tempted to try something with a beyond-hope
                        "compact" MAC, they're just so darn cute.

                        bd

                      • fieldfan1
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 4, 2007

                          > Take a look at this:

                          http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/3432d549436f5110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd/7.html

                          > I don't know how many of you have a MAC with this chassis design,
                          but if
                          > you to, chances are it no longer works. They just take up space.
                          These
                          > are very hard to restore and the newer SE's are not worth much even
                          if they
                          > do work. You all know me as someone who avoids destroying an old
                          computer
                          > for art's sake, but personally I waive this rule for the less-rare MAC
                          > SE's...anyone second that opinion? I am tempted to try something
                          like this
                          > myself, someone tell me I am making a mistake :-)
                          >

                          > ¿ß¡¶ Dë¢ñ@ñ?

                          PLEASE do not destroy a functioning Mac for an art project. It's like
                          gutting a working Plus for a Macquarium.