identify fuse, apple iii power supply

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 24, 2007
      Hi
      I have an Apple iii with a blown fuse. The fuse in the power supply has
      "125V 5mf 2 3/4 A" printed on it. It's possible that the previous owner
      pulled the original fuse and tried one lying around. In other words I
      don't want to assume that this is the original fuse. Probably it is the
      original, but it does not hurt to get a 2nd opinion. Anyone have an Apple
      iii power supply spec? I have been searching the web for a hour, no luck
      so far.
      Thanks.
      Bill
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 24, 2007

        Check this
        http://www.1000bit.net/scheda.asp?id=16
        It has almost everything on schematics
        The Fuse is a 2.5A, not sure if it takes a Slo-Blo, there's no indication on the schematic

        =Dan
        [ "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them"     ]
        [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]

        B. Degnan wrote:
        Hi
        I have an Apple iii with a blown fuse.  The fuse in the power supply has
        "125V 5mf 2 3/4 A" printed on it.  It's possible that the previous owner
        pulled the original fuse and tried one lying around.  In other words I
        don't want to assume that this is the original fuse.  Probably it is the
        original, but it does not hurt to get a 2nd opinion.  Anyone have an Apple
        iii power supply spec?  I have been searching the web for a hour, no luck
        so far.
        Thanks.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 25, 2007

            I'm guessing you're wondering what the numbers on the fuse actually say ? :)

            That fuse you found in there is a 2-3/4A fuse(2.75A) --it will be OK to use, it isn't too high, the extra 1/4A isn't going to kill/burn anything if there's a short in the power supply. It will blow just as quickly as a 2-1/2A(2.5A) fuse if there really is a short in there. The last guy probably didn't feel like going out to get the exact fuse.
            The schematics at that link do show a 2-1/2A(2.5A) in the circuit, about the Slo-Blo option, that's usually indicated on the parts list in the service manual--but you can get by without that option for now.

            The "5mf" must be something unique from that fuse manufacturer, that doesn't ring a bell--you can ignore that when getting new fuses.

            When you try it again, you might want to unplug the wire harness from the power supply to the motherboard to see if the power supply can turn on by itself without blowing a fuse(and check if the voltages are correct)

            Here's a little tutorial on fuse specifications
            http://www.lnl.com/howto/fuse.htm

            I had a guy here that had mistaken a 3/16A(0.18A) fuse and put in a 14A instead for a 230V power supply , lets just say most of the parts in the power supply were disintegrated--I gave him a lashing he won't forget.

            B. Degnan wrote:
            As I mentioned previously the fuse I pulled was a "125V 5mf 2 3/4 A" - Am I correct in thinking that perhaps the original owner put in a fuse that is rated too high (AMPS)?  What do you think the original fuse was, based on the schematic..."125V 5mf 2 1/2 A" ? ...or will a 2 3/4 A fuse be OK too because it's close enough?
            thanks
            Bill

            At 12:50 AM 10/25/2007 -0400, you wrote:

            Check this
            http://www.1000bit.net/scheda.asp?id=16
            It has almost everything on schematics
            The Fuse is a 2.5A, not sure if it takes a Slo-Blo, there's no indication on the schematic

            =Dan

            No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.15.10/1091 - Release Date: 10/24/2007 2:31 PM
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 26, 2007

              Just a quick search on that 5mf, it's a mini glass fuse.
              It's just another size type, here some info from BelFuse
              http://www.belfuse.com/Data/DBObject/5MF.pdf
              Almost everybody sells them.

              Dan Roganti wrote:

[...]

              B. Degnan wrote: As I mentioned previously the fuse I pulled was a "125V 5mf 2 3/4 A" - Am I correct in thinking that perhaps the original owner put in a fuse that is rated too high (AMPS)?  What do you think the original fuse was, based on the schematic..."125V 5mf 2 1/2 A" ? ...or will a 2 3/4 A fuse be OK too because it's close enough?
              thanks
              Bill

              At 12:50 AM 10/25/2007 -0400, you wrote:

              Check this
              http://www.1000bit.net/scheda.asp?id=16
              It has almost everything on schematics
              The Fuse is a 2.5A, not sure if it takes a Slo-Blo, there's no indication on the schematic

              =Dan

              No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.15.10/1091 - Release Date: 10/24/2007 2:31 PM

              No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.15.11/1093 - Release Date: 10/25/2007 5:38 PM
            • Bryan Pope
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 26, 2007
                Dan Roganti wrote:

                > Just a quick search on that 5mf, it's a mini glass fuse.
                > It's just another size type, here some info from BelFuse
                > http://www.belfuse.com/Data/DBObject/5MF.pdf
                > Almost everybody sells them.

                Even Radio Shack! But they only have a fast-blow version of the 2.5A fuse.

                Cheers,

                Bryan
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 26, 2007
                  At 12:41 PM 10/26/2007 -0400, you wrote:
                  >Dan Roganti wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Just a quick search on that 5mf, it's a mini glass fuse.
                  > > It's just another size type, here some info from BelFuse
                  > > http://www.belfuse.com/Data/DBObject/5MF.pdf
                  > > Almost everybody sells them.
                  > >
                  >Even Radio Shack! But they only have a fast-blow version of the 2.5A fuse.

                  There's one near me, that's usually where I try first. There are no other
                  electronics stores in New Castle Co. Delaware of any use that I know of.

                  Bill
                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 26, 2007
                    B. Degnan wrote:
                    > At 12:41 PM 10/26/2007 -0400, you wrote:
                    >
                    >> Dan Roganti wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> Just a quick search on that 5mf, it's a mini glass fuse.
                    >>> It's just another size type, here some info from BelFuse
                    >>> http://www.belfuse.com/Data/DBObject/5MF.pdf
                    >>> Almost everybody sells them.
                    >>>

                    >> Even Radio Shack! But they only have a fast-blow version of the 2.5A fuse.
                    >>

                    > There's one near me, that's usually where I try first. There are no other
                    > electronics stores in New Castle Co. Delaware of any use that I know of.

                    But if the fuse blows as soon as you power up, then that usually means
                    that the fuse should be a slo-blow..

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan