Re: [midatlanticretro] was Kim-1 info now GEOS

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 19, 2005
      Scott,
      I think that my expansion card is too "new" for a rev B. ?? As far as my kim goes (rev G), I made sure it worked and then put it away. I have not used it since, I have not had the chance with so many other computers in my collection that need help!.

      Jumping topic..Does anyone use GEOS anymore? I have been experimenting with it this week for the first time. I have a copy of GEOS 1.2 running on a C128 with a 128K RAM expansion, 1670 modem, 1571 and 1541 II drive system. It took me a long time to find and restore a GEOS system disk (you have to have the orig. disk to boot). Very primitive Windows system, but historically an important piece of software. If you have a Commodore 64/128 this is definately worth experiencing, especially with a RAM expansion and modem. You can compare GEOS with Windows 1.0 if you have a copy of that as well, same lingo (dialogue box rather than dialog box, double click, etc.). If you have a copy of Quantum Link, sometimes GEOS is on the flip side of the diskette.

      The oldest GUI I ever used was an old Xerox system when I worked at IBM in the 80's (do not have one now). An interesting exhibit for the TCF or VCF would be "primitive GUI's." I have an Apple II GS with a GUI, but this is newer. I don't know as much about earlier Apple GUI's. I assume that their earlies GUI beat GEOS to the market?

      Back in the day I was a DOS man and did not care for early GUI's that much. Loaded it, played with it, put it away. DOS was more productive until Windows 98. I admit that I still use DOS daily in my job (programming/server support)

      bill
      vintagecomputer.net
    • Billy D'Augustine
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 19, 2005
        On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 13:58:57 -0500
        billdeg@... wrote:

        > Jumping topic..Does anyone use GEOS anymore?

        delurking to insert the following:

        http://cmdrkey.com/cbm/geos/geos1.html
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 19, 2005
          Hi,

          I recall the Apple Lisa being the first home computer system with a GUI,
          the precursor to the Macintosh. This is one machine I'm still looking
          out for to add to my collection.

          Dan

          billdeg@... wrote:

          > [snip]
          >
          > The oldest GUI I ever used was an old Xerox system when I worked at
          > IBM in the 80's (do not have one now). An interesting exhibit for the
          > TCF or VCF would be "primitive GUI's." I have an Apple II GS with a
          > GUI, but this is newer. I don't know as much about earlier Apple
          > GUI's. I assume that their earlies GUI beat GEOS to the market?
          >
          > Back in the day I was a DOS man and did not care for early GUI's that
          > much. Loaded it, played with it, put it away. DOS was more productive
          > until Windows 98. I admit that I still use DOS daily in my job
          > (programming/server support)
          >
          > bill
          > vintagecomputer.net
        • evan
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 19, 2005
            It's easy to find Lisa II (and later) systems, but the original Lisa is
            extremely rare. Recently one sold on eBay for roughly 10K.

            --- Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I recall the Apple Lisa being the first home computer system with a GUI,
            > the precursor to the Macintosh. This is one machine I'm still looking
            > out for to add to my collection.
            >
            > Dan
            >
            > billdeg@... wrote:
            >
            > > [snip]
            > >
            > > The oldest GUI I ever used was an old Xerox system when I worked at
            > > IBM in the 80's (do not have one now). An interesting exhibit for the
            > > TCF or VCF would be "primitive GUI's." I have an Apple II GS with a
            > > GUI, but this is newer. I don't know as much about earlier Apple
            > > GUI's. I assume that their earlies GUI beat GEOS to the market?
            > >
            > > Back in the day I was a DOS man and did not care for early GUI's that
            > > much. Loaded it, played with it, put it away. DOS was more productive
            > > until Windows 98. I admit that I still use DOS daily in my job
            > > (programming/server support)
            > >
            > > bill
            > > vintagecomputer.net

            =====
            Evan's personal homepage: www.snarc.net

            *** Tell your friends about the Computer Collector Newsletter!
            - It's free and we'll never send spam or share your email address
            - Publishing every Monday(-ish), ask about writing for us
            - 684 readers and counting!
          • Dan
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 20, 2005
              Well, that'll bust my budget 100 times over, -ouch-

              Dan

            • billdeg@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 20, 2005
                Dan
                Thanks.
                Here is a good web site for GEOS history
                http://www.commodore.ca/history/company/turks_geos.htm
                Basically is was many years newer.