Is this thing broken?

    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 21, 2007
      Hello?

      Is everyone but me packing for VCF West?

      Ground Control to Major Tom...
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 21, 2007
        I've been away since Wednesday morning. Just got home late tonight.

        But, yeah, that IS strange. Where is everyone else? (I know that Bill
        D. is in Jamaica, mon...)

        Is everyone but me packing for VCF West?

        Ground Control to Major Tom...

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Jeffrey Frady
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 21, 2007
          Shhh!!!  You are disturbing the silence.

          I've been away since Wednesday morning. Just got home late tonight.

          But, yeah, that IS strange. Where is everyone else? (I know that Bill
          D. is in Jamaica, mon...)

          Is everyone but me packing for VCF West?

          Ground Control to Major Tom...

          See you spare cowboy...
        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 21, 2007
            Jim Scheef wrote:
            > Hello?
            >
            > Is everyone but me packing for VCF West?
            >
            > Ground Control to Major Tom...

            I'm here. I wanted to go, but I can't.

            Peace... Sridhar
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 21, 2007
              West isn't until Nov. 3-4 anyway.

              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 21, 2007
                Evan Koblentz wrote:
                > West isn't until Nov. 3-4 anyway.

                I can't pull off three out-of-town trips in one month. My budget can't
                handle that.

                Peace... Sridhar

                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 21, 2007
                    Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    > Where did you go?

                    I'm already planning to be going to Washington, DC and Port Charlotte, FL.

                    Peace... Sridhar
                  • Bob Applegate
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 22, 2007
                      Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote :

                      > Hello?
                      >
                      > Is everyone but me packing for VCF West?

                      No, I just got back from a business trip to Silicon Valley. I couldn't convince my wife to let me stay out there for another week! While there, I did spend a lot of time chatting with one of the speakers for VCF who happened to be the program chairman for the conference I was attending. Lance is looking forward to VCF!

                      Bob

                      ___________________________________
                      NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 22, 2007
                        I am back now...

                        Evan,
                        How was the class? I did not hear from you.

                        Bill

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 22, 2007
                          I can't go this year, I am in a wedding. Happy to be in the wedding, but
                          disappointed that I can't be there this year. There are some excellent
                          speakers.
                          Bill

                          At 06:31 AM 10/22/2007 -0400, you wrote:
                          >Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote :
                          >
                          > > Hello?
                          > >
                          > > Is everyone but me packing for VCF West?
                          >
                          >No, I just got back from a business trip to Silicon Valley. I couldn't
                          >convince my wife to let me stay out there for another week! While there,
                          >I did spend a lot of time chatting with one of the speakers for VCF who
                          >happened to be the program chairman for the conference I was
                          >attending. Lance is looking forward to VCF!
                          >
                          >Bob

                        • John Allain
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 22, 2007
                            > Subject: [midatlanticretro] Is this thing broken?

                            I could sometimes argue that a mailinglist is broken when there are
                            Too Many emails, esp. when filled with OT stuff like eBay, Windows,
                            Marmite, American Idol, Hello Kitty, etc.

                            Wikipedia finds of the week:
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_about_computers
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_computers
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_robots_and_androids

                            John A.
                            about 7 years on the Classiccmp list, so I've seen it all
                          • William Donzelli
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 22, 2007
                              > I could sometimes argue that a mailinglist is broken when there are
                              > Too Many emails, esp. when filled with OT stuff like eBay, Windows,
                              > Marmite, American Idol, Hello Kitty, etc.

                              The Hello Kitty laptop is just about ten years old now.

                              --
                              Will
                            • John Allain
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 22, 2007
                                > Will's response...

                                Will, You have the answer to this?
                                When some {dumass} at the recycle center says "there must be 10/20/30
                                dollars of gold in those PC's, that's why we can't give em away"
                                What is the educated response?

                                I'd guess maybe $1, ~1gm, of gold, tops.

                                John A.
                              • William Donzelli
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 22, 2007
                                  > Will, You have the answer to this?
                                  > When some {dumass} at the recycle center says "there must be 10/20/30
                                  > dollars of gold in those PC's, that's why we can't give em away"
                                  > What is the educated response?
                                  >
                                  > I'd guess maybe $1, ~1gm, of gold, tops.

                                  It varies quite a lot, actually. Any machine with a Pentium Pro is
                                  worth quite a lot. One scrapper I ran into recently is paying about
                                  six bucks per chip. On the other end, the Pentium chips that look like
                                  they were made on little circuit boards have only maybe 25 cents of
                                  gold.

                                  And now, with the price of copper, the price for scrap boards have
                                  gone way up. Even crummy computer boards with skimpy gold,
                                  motherboards or otherwise, are fetching around two bucks a pound.

                                  Things have changed.

                                  --
                                  Will
                                • Ray Sills
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 22, 2007
                                    Hi John:

                                    Right now, gold is about $24 a gram. So, if a piece of gear had 1
                                    gram of gold, when you allow for the cost to recover the gold, maybe
                                    it's worth $10 or so.

                                    73 de Ray

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 22, 2007
                                      re: gold/copper values.... Thanks!

                                      > Things have changed.

                                      Tbe biggest change may be that personal computers have really gotten
                                      to be personal, that is, thay contain too much personal value and therefore
                                      the disposers need guarantee of destruction in more and more cases.

                                      John A.
                                    • Bob Applegate
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 23, 2007
                                        Many businesses also have SOX (Sarbanes Oxley act) issues to contend with.  Our IT department used to sell old PCs to
                                        employees after the hard drives were wiped and the OS re-installed, but our SOX auditors were very unhappy about that,
                                        so ALL old IT equipment (servers, desktops, etc) must be destroyed.  I was allowed to salvage some stuff, but hard drives
                                        are tracked and I had to return them all for the crusher.

                                        Of course, this only affects public companies, but they are the ones most likely to have stuffed unused machines into
                                        remote storage facilities while the accounting depreciation continued, then lose track of what they have.  I know our IT
                                        guys sometimes return from some of our off-site centers talking about all the weird stuff they'd forgotten about.

                                        Bob

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 23, 2007
                                          On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                                          > I can't pull off three out-of-town trips in one month. My budget can't
                                          > handle that.

                                          Wuss.

                                          --

                                          Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival