Jamaica Readings

  • billdeg@degnanco.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 14, 2007
      Ok..maybe I am a little obsessed w/ VComps, but for my vacation next week
      here is my reading list:

      Dr Dobbs 1st year issues

      Kilobaud #2, feb 77

      an assembly prog book
      (z-80/8080)

      2600 mag

      hacker crackdown (Book frm. '91)

      bill d
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 14, 2007
        Bill,

        Most of that sounds good to me but I would substitute BYTE Magazine for Dr.
        Dobbs plus I need to mix in something current like Exchange Server
        administration or firewall/router configuration. My latest vintage book
        purchases are the two seminal books on IBM mainframes from 1948 thru the
        S/370. I read them back in the late 80's from the library so this time I
        bought my own copies by searching on Abe Books (www.abebooks.com). The books
        are "IBM's Early Computers" and "IBM's 360 and Early 370 Systems", both by
        Emerson W. Pugh, et al. Big iron does not seem to be your cup of tea (but
        different strokes...).

        2600 magazine is always fun. Maybe they should edit those articles to correct
        at least some of the grammar!

        Take your laptop and set up an Altair 8800 in emulation so you can do the
        exercises in the assembly language book.

        Are you expected to spend time with the kids and/or wife on this trip? Enjoy
        your time in the sun. ;-)

        Jim

        --- billdeg@... wrote:

        > Ok..maybe I am a little obsessed w/ VComps, but for my vacation next week
        > here is my reading list:
        >
        > Dr Dobbs 1st year issues
        >
        > Kilobaud #2, feb 77
        >
        > an assembly prog book
        > (z-80/8080)
        >
        > 2600 mag
        >
        > hacker crackdown (Book frm. '91)
        >
        > bill d

      • Sellam Ismail
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 23, 2007
          On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 billdeg@... wrote:

          > Ok..maybe I am a little obsessed w/ VComps, but for my vacation next week
          > here is my reading list:
          >
          > Dr Dobbs 1st year issues
          >
          > Kilobaud #2, feb 77
          >
          > an assembly prog book
          > (z-80/8080)
          >
          > 2600 mag
          >
          > hacker crackdown (Book frm. '91)

          You should take Giant Brains with you. If you haven't yet read it, you'll
          find the beginnings of the idea of "personal computing" within those 1949
          era pages.

          --

          Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

        • Sellam Ismail
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 23, 2007
            On Sun, 14 Oct 2007, Jim Scheef wrote:

            > Most of that sounds good to me but I would substitute BYTE Magazine for Dr.
            > Dobbs.

            I would strongly suggest both.

            > 2600 magazine is always fun. Maybe they should edit those articles to
            > correct at least some of the grammar!

            And some of the facts. And get writers that are older than 16. I used to
            like 2600 but it's really gone downhill for the past 5-10 years.

            --

            Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 24, 2007
              At 10:05 PM 10/23/2007 -0700, you wrote:
              >On Sun, 14 Oct 2007, Jim Scheef wrote:
              >
              > > Most of that sounds good to me but I would substitute BYTE Magazine for Dr.
              > > Dobbs.
              >
              >I would strongly suggest both.
              >
              > > 2600 magazine is always fun. Maybe they should edit those articles to
              > > correct at least some of the grammar!
              >
              >And some of the facts. And get writers that are older than 16. I used to
              >like 2600 but it's really gone downhill for the past 5-10 years.
              >
              >--

              There's a personal connection with 2600 for me. Some of the Delaware
              "Internet BIZ" people today like me were at the high point of 2600 hacking
              games and using BBS's in the 80's as teenagers. Also, now that I run an
              ISP, it's good to keep an eye on threats. Hackers love to brag. We have
              used 2600 to help our network security to test SQL injection attacks,
              etc. I agree that they appear to be struggling a little with "now what?"
              it's kind of passe to keep showing pictures of phone booths.

              Bill
            • Sellam Ismail
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 25, 2007
                On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, B. Degnan wrote:

                > There's a personal connection with 2600 for me. Some of the Delaware
                > "Internet BIZ" people today like me were at the high point of 2600
                > hacking games and using BBS's in the 80's as teenagers.

                Me too. It was cool for me when I was in my twenties, but its luster has
                faded.

                > Also, now that I run an ISP, it's good to keep an eye on threats.
                > Hackers love to brag. We have used 2600 to help our network security to
                > test SQL injection attacks, etc.

                I agree that it would be useful to monitor the threats from 16 year old
                script kiddies. But the serious guys don't write articles for 2600 ;)

                --

                Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival