Re: [midatlanticretro] .....- let's do the chat!

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2 9:59 AM
      Dan and all,

      I know you'll find this hard to believe, but I've NEVER used IRC. I'm sure I
      have a client for it somewhere, but I have no idea how to set up an account
      or whatever is needed.

      The chat in the Yahoo group opened up without any problem in Navigator 7.2 on
      a PC - no downloads, no warnings, no nuttin'.

      I don't care when we use. We can just use the group email like we have been -
      or Yahoo IM or AIM, or... Some time back I even had an ICQ account. Now I
      have the catch-22 where the account needs some kind of confirmation and I
      closed the email account where they send the confirmations! Jezz these
      'puters sure are fun!

      Jim

      --- Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      Evan,

      We've had problems with the yahoo java chat too, it kept booting peopleoff.
      So we just use the yahoo instant messenger[it's free] to open up achat room.
      Then we continue using the same screename that we use tologon to the yahoo
      newsgroup.

      Dan

      Evan wrote: >>> A chat might be fun and be agood way to work up some
      enthusiasm

      True! I tried just now and couldn't get theYahoo Groups client to work in
      Firefox 1.04. Even installed some Javaplug-ins. Anyone have suggestions?

      I'm not anti-Microsoft, but I hate to mandateits use to the group. LOL,
      it's bad enough that I made everyone doYahoo (which was selected for a
      logical reason -- wide availability,easy control, pre-built.) It will no
      longer be needed when Johnfinishes our new web site. No pressure, Mr.
      Allain. :)

      > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

    • ahm
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2 11:13 AM
        On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 09:59:41AM -0700, Jim Scheef wrote:
        > I've NEVER used IRC.
        > I have no idea how to set up an account or whatever is needed.

        No account needed.
        Just fire up a client,
        tell it the server name (kildall.ath.cx)
        and join the channel (#march)

        I've put a robot in there just so folks don't feel lonely.

        Andy
      • billdeg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2 12:59 PM
          I too have never IRC'd.  But I will do whatever seems to be the favored option.  Unless you want me to set up a chat on my Commodore BBS.
          -Bill
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2 1:15 PM
            IRC does seem to be the preference, even though the message has only been out for a few hours... damn the voting process, I say we use IRC.  Let it be so!

            I recommend the mIRC client for Windows, downloadable from all over the 'net.

          • madodel@ptdprolog.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2 6:03 PM
              In, on 06/02/05 at 04:15 PM,
              "Evan" <evan947@...> said:

              >IRC does seem to be the preference, even though the message has only been
              >out for a few hours... damn the voting process, I say we use IRC. Let it
              >be so!
              >
              >I recommend the mIRC client for Windows, downloadable from all over the
              >'net.

              For people using Firefox or Mozilla, Chatzilla is a good client. No
              windows needed as it will run on any platform that supports FF/Moz
              (including windows). Latest version can be found at
              http://www.hacksrus.com/~ginda/chatzilla/

              Mark

              --

              From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

              Warpstock 2005, Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6 - 9, 2005 http://www.warpstock.org
              Warpstock Europe 2005, Dresden, Germany, Nov. 18-20 http://www.warpstock.net

              For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE - http://www.os2voice.org

              "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938
            • Ray Sills
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2 7:14 PM
                OK... I found a client for OS X and I'm ready to chat.

                73 de Ray

                On Jun 2, 2005, at 2:13 PM, ahm wrote:

                > On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 09:59:41AM -0700, Jim Scheef wrote:
                >> I've NEVER used IRC.
                >> I have no idea how to set up an account or whatever is needed.
                >
                > No account needed.
                > Just fire up a client,
                > tell it the server name (kildall.ath.cx)
                > and join the channel (#march)
                >
                > I've put a robot in there just so folks don't feel lonely.
                >
                > Andy
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                73 de Ray
                K2ULR