Re: [midatlanticretro] .....- let's do the chat!

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
      Evan,

      We've had problems with the yahoo java chat too, it kept booting people off. So we just use the yahoo instant messenger[it's free] to open up a chat room. Then we continue using the same screename that we use to logon to the yahoo newsgroup.

      Dan

      Evan wrote:
      >>> A chat might be fun and be a good way to work up some enthusiasm

      True!  I tried just now and couldn't get the Yahoo Groups client to work in Firefox 1.04.  Even installed some Java plug-ins.  Anyone have suggestions?

      I'm not anti-Microsoft, but I hate to mandate its use to the group.  LOL, it's bad enough that I made everyone do Yahoo (which was selected for a logical reason -- wide availability, easy control, pre-built.)  It will no longer be needed when John finishes our new web site.  No pressure, Mr. Allain.  :)

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
        Dan and all,

        I know you'll find this hard to believe, but I've NEVER used IRC. I'm sure I
        have a client for it somewhere, but I have no idea how to set up an account
        or whatever is needed.

        The chat in the Yahoo group opened up without any problem in Navigator 7.2 on
        a PC - no downloads, no warnings, no nuttin'.

        I don't care when we use. We can just use the group email like we have been -
        or Yahoo IM or AIM, or... Some time back I even had an ICQ account. Now I
        have the catch-22 where the account needs some kind of confirmation and I
        closed the email account where they send the confirmations! Jezz these
        'puters sure are fun!

        Jim

        --- Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        Evan,

        We've had problems with the yahoo java chat too, it kept booting peopleoff.
        So we just use the yahoo instant messenger[it's free] to open up achat room.
        Then we continue using the same screename that we use tologon to the yahoo
        newsgroup.

        Dan

        Evan wrote: >>> A chat might be fun and be agood way to work up some
        enthusiasm

        True! I tried just now and couldn't get theYahoo Groups client to work in
        Firefox 1.04. Even installed some Javaplug-ins. Anyone have suggestions?

        I'm not anti-Microsoft, but I hate to mandateits use to the group. LOL,
        it's bad enough that I made everyone doYahoo (which was selected for a
        logical reason -- wide availability,easy control, pre-built.) It will no
        longer be needed when Johnfinishes our new web site. No pressure, Mr.
        Allain. :)

        > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

      • ahm
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
          On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 09:59:41AM -0700, Jim Scheef wrote:
          > I've NEVER used IRC.
          > I have no idea how to set up an account or whatever is needed.

          No account needed.
          Just fire up a client,
          tell it the server name (kildall.ath.cx)
          and join the channel (#march)

          I've put a robot in there just so folks don't feel lonely.

          Andy
        • billdeg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
            I too have never IRC'd.  But I will do whatever seems to be the favored option.  Unless you want me to set up a chat on my Commodore BBS.
            -Bill
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
              IRC does seem to be the preference, even though the message has only been out for a few hours... damn the voting process, I say we use IRC.  Let it be so!

              I recommend the mIRC client for Windows, downloadable from all over the 'net.

            • madodel@ptdprolog.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
                In, on 06/02/05 at 04:15 PM,
                "Evan" <evan947@...> said:

                >IRC does seem to be the preference, even though the message has only been
                >out for a few hours... damn the voting process, I say we use IRC. Let it
                >be so!
                >
                >I recommend the mIRC client for Windows, downloadable from all over the
                >'net.

                For people using Firefox or Mozilla, Chatzilla is a good client. No
                windows needed as it will run on any platform that supports FF/Moz
                (including windows). Latest version can be found at
                http://www.hacksrus.com/~ginda/chatzilla/

                Mark

                --

                From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

                Warpstock 2005, Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6 - 9, 2005 http://www.warpstock.org
                Warpstock Europe 2005, Dresden, Germany, Nov. 18-20 http://www.warpstock.net

                For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE - http://www.os2voice.org

                "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938
              • Ray Sills
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
                  OK... I found a client for OS X and I'm ready to chat.

                  73 de Ray

                  On Jun 2, 2005, at 2:13 PM, ahm wrote:

                  > On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 09:59:41AM -0700, Jim Scheef wrote:
                  >> I've NEVER used IRC.
                  >> I have no idea how to set up an account or whatever is needed.
                  >
                  > No account needed.
                  > Just fire up a client,
                  > tell it the server name (kildall.ath.cx)
                  > and join the channel (#march)
                  >
                  > I've put a robot in there just so folks don't feel lonely.
                  >
                  > Andy
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  73 de Ray
                  K2ULR