Re: [midatlanticretro] Happy 30th Birthday Atari 2600!

  • Hex Star
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2007
      happy bday! :)
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2007
        Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...> wrote:

        >....the Atari 2600, which
        > ushered in an era of unprecedented television usage, and which turns 30
        > years old this month.

        Oddly enough, I just bought two 2600 carts today (Vangard and Star
        raiders), for a 2600 I got a few months ago. Haven't turned it on.
        Just went to check...oops! It's an Odessey system, not Atari! My bad,
        but the carts are as described. But I like the 1802 processor, so not
        so bad.

        So what is a working 2600 worth these days?

        Herb
        usual retrotechnology.com stuff excluded
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2007

          >So what is a working 2600 worth these days?

          There are three types

          1. The original with 6 switches on the front
          2. The 2nd version with 4 switches on the front
          3. The 3rd version "2600 JR" or something like that.

          My opinion....

          Only the 1st is rare, if boxed and complete with bits and pieces. There
          was also a Sears equivalent.

          A new/near mint, boxed 2600 with original everything is worth $150+

          From there you go down to $20 for a working, non-boxed, fair condition
          unit with no carts. A working 1st gen, even in bad condition is worth a
          little bit more that the 2nd gen, all else being equal. The box makes a
          big difference. I don't know how rare the JR's are, but you don't see them
          too often.

          Overall the 2600's are not rare and it's better to sell these in pieces
          (sell the unit by itself, the carts by themselves) unless you have a boxed
          complete system with the original Combat cart.

          There are carts that are worth more than the systems. A NOS Atari paddle
          is worth more than a fair cond. working system.

          .