Happy 30th Birthday Atari 2600!

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2007
      Thanks to engadget...

      See that Wii or Xbox sitting under your TV? The PSP or DS tucked away in
      your messenger bag? That copy of Pac-man on your cellphone which cost
      five bucks and expires next month? Each of them owe a debt of gratitude
      to the granddaddy of all videogame consoles, the Atari 2600, which
      ushered in an era of unprecedented television usage, and which turns 30
      years old this month. That's right, the first 2600 units rolled off the
      assembly line in October of 1977, delighting both children and kids at
      heart with games like Pitfall and Pole Position, and helping distract
      the nation after the untimely death of the King, the tragic crash of
      Lynyrd Skynyrd's plane, and Pele's retirement. So here's to you, dear
      2600: Atari may only be a shadow of its former self today, but you've
      lived on in our fond memories, in retro Flashback products, and last but
      not least, in tricked-out mods from the great Ben Heckendorn.

      http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/01/happy-30th-birthday-atari-2600/
      http://www.retrothing.com/2007/09/the-atari-2600-.html

      Thanks In Advance!,

      Bryan
    • Hex Star
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2007
        happy bday! :)
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2007
          Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...> wrote:

          >....the Atari 2600, which
          > ushered in an era of unprecedented television usage, and which turns 30
          > years old this month.

          Oddly enough, I just bought two 2600 carts today (Vangard and Star
          raiders), for a 2600 I got a few months ago. Haven't turned it on.
          Just went to check...oops! It's an Odessey system, not Atari! My bad,
          but the carts are as described. But I like the 1802 processor, so not
          so bad.

          So what is a working 2600 worth these days?

          Herb
          usual retrotechnology.com stuff excluded
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 6, 2007

            >So what is a working 2600 worth these days?

            There are three types

            1. The original with 6 switches on the front
            2. The 2nd version with 4 switches on the front
            3. The 3rd version "2600 JR" or something like that.

            My opinion....

            Only the 1st is rare, if boxed and complete with bits and pieces. There
            was also a Sears equivalent.

            A new/near mint, boxed 2600 with original everything is worth $150+

            From there you go down to $20 for a working, non-boxed, fair condition
            unit with no carts. A working 1st gen, even in bad condition is worth a
            little bit more that the 2nd gen, all else being equal. The box makes a
            big difference. I don't know how rare the JR's are, but you don't see them
            too often.

            Overall the 2600's are not rare and it's better to sell these in pieces
            (sell the unit by itself, the carts by themselves) unless you have a boxed
            complete system with the original Combat cart.

            There are carts that are worth more than the systems. A NOS Atari paddle
            is worth more than a fair cond. working system.

            .