Re: [midatlanticretro] not quite vintage...anyone have early 90's MS Access?

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2007
      Bill,

      Ah ha! So we need to break the developer and/or administrator password in the file as well. Such tools are available and I might have something that will work. First step is to get a version of Access that recognizes the MDB file. Most versions of Access will open and convert (import) files from the two prior versions. The version in Office 2.0 begot Access 95 which begot 97 and 2000 and XP and 2003 and 2007. <soapbox> This is why digital information is so fragile and it's important to collect software before it becomes "vintage" and why Sellam's software preservation project is important and illustrates why Microsoft "standards" are not and why ODF should be. </soapbox>

      Jim

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2007
        At 09:03 AM 10/5/2007 -0700, you wrote:
        >Bill,
        >
        >Ah ha! So we need to break the developer and/or administrator password in
        >the file as well. Such tools are available and I might have something that
        >will work. First step is to get a version of Access that recognizes the
        >MDB file. Most versions of Access will open and convert (import) files
        >from the two prior versions. The version in Office 2.0 begot Access 95
        >which begot 97 and 2000 and XP and 2003 and 2007.

        I did not know there was a Access 95.

        ><soapbox> This is why digital information is so fragile and it's important
        >to collect software before it becomes "vintage" and why Sellam's software
        >preservation project is important and illustrates why Microsoft
        >"standards" are not and why ODF should be. </soapbox>
        >
        >Jim

        Just between you and me (warning NON vintage computer comment, avert your eyes)

        I have been archiving everything I think is important to date, not just
        stopping at 1986 or whatever vintage computing is at present. Eventually
        Windows 95 will be some kind of vintage.

        Unfortunately I do not have a working Windows 3.1/95 bridge system. I have
        the software but not a PC easily accessible. I cannot therefore load the
        software, "Pro CD Internet Directory" - the reason I have been trying to
        just get at the DOMAIN.MDB database instead. If worse comes to worse I
        will put a Windows 95 system together and install the software. From there
        I could probably run some kind of extract to get at the database from the
        program itself.

        Bill
      • Bryan Pope
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 5, 2007
          B. Degnan wrote:
          > At 09:03 AM 10/5/2007 -0700, you wrote:
          >
          >> Bill,
          >>
          >> Ah ha! So we need to break the developer and/or administrator password in
          >> the file as well. Such tools are available and I might have something that
          >> will work. First step is to get a version of Access that recognizes the
          >> MDB file. Most versions of Access will open and convert (import) files
          >>
          > >from the two prior versions. The version in Office 2.0 begot Access 95
          >
          >> which begot 97 and 2000 and XP and 2003 and 2007.
          >>

          > I did not know there was a Access 95.
          >

          >> <soapbox> This is why digital information is so fragile and it's important
          >> to collect software before it becomes "vintage" and why Sellam's software
          >> preservation project is important and illustrates why Microsoft
          >> "standards" are not and why ODF should be. </soapbox>
          >>
          >> Jim
          >>

          > Just between you and me (warning NON vintage computer comment, avert your eyes)
          >
          > I have been archiving everything I think is important to date, not just
          > stopping at 1986 or whatever vintage computing is at present. Eventually
          > Windows 95 will be some kind of vintage.
          >
          > Unfortunately I do not have a working Windows 3.1/95 bridge system. I have
          > the software but not a PC easily accessible. I cannot therefore load the
          > software, "Pro CD Internet Directory" - the reason I have been trying to
          > just get at the DOMAIN.MDB database instead. If worse comes to worse I
          > will put a Windows 95 system together and install the software. From there
          > I could probably run some kind of extract to get at the database from the
          > program itself.

          Bill,

          Have you tried right-clicking the program name, -> Properties, then
          select the tab "Compatibility", then check "Run this program in
          compatibility mode for:" and select Windows 95 from the drop-down box?

          Cheers,

          Bryan