Re: Early 128K Macs

  • macmothership
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
      All of the one piece Macs from the 128k through the SE have the signatures molded in. They
      are not rare. What would be rare is finding a Mac without them!

      It's Torx, not torex, by the way.

      Jim
      www.macmothership.com

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

      > Always amusing when an uninformed ebay seller posts, "RARE! Macintosh with signatures
      of the designers inside!!!" as if it's a museum bit ... Some people apparently think the
      signatures are real. :)

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
        Hi
        I need a file converted from a very old version of MS Access into a CSV
        text file. If anyone is up for a challenge, here is the file:

        http://www.vintagecomputer.net/tem/DOMAIN.MDB

        It's a directory of early web sites from 1994-1995. Pls. contact me off
        list if you have success.

        Thanks.

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
          Jim! How's life in Chicago?

          Thanks for checking in with us.

          - Evan

          > All of the one piece Macs from the 128k through the SE have the signatures
          > molded in. They
          > are not rare. What would be rare is finding a Mac without them!
          >
          > It's Torx, not torex, by the way.
          >
          > Jim
          > www.macmothership.com
          >
          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Always amusing when an uninformed ebay seller posts, "RARE! Macintosh
          >> with signatures
          > of the designers inside!!!" as if it's a museum bit ... Some people
          > apparently think the
          > signatures are real. :)
          >>
          >> I do think Bill is correct -- don't they ALL have the fake signatures
          >> inside?
          >>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • macmothership
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
            Great - thanks for asking! I love it! One indication of the difference between the East coast
            lifestyle and the Midwest lifestyle is the fact that I got two speeding tickets within the first
            month! Out here you just have to slow down and enjoy the corn fields!

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
              At 09:05 AM 10/5/2007 -0400, you wrote:
              >Jim! How's life in Chicago?
              >
              >Thanks for checking in with us.
              >
              >- Evan
              >

              > > All of the one piece Macs from the 128k through the SE have the signatures
              > > molded in. They
              > > are not rare. What would be rare is finding a Mac without them!
              > >
              > > It's Torx, not torex, by the way.
              > >
              > > Jim
              > > www.macmothership.com

              FYI - Jim helped me restore a orig. Mac just recently.
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
                Bill,

                At 66MB that's some index. So we don't all spin our wheels, do you know what Access version created the file and what versions have you tried?

                Jim

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
                  At 07:44 AM 10/5/2007 -0700, you wrote:
                  >Bill,
                  >
                  >At 66MB that's some index. So we don't all spin our wheels, do you know
                  >what Access version created the file and what versions have you tried?
                  >
                  >Jim

                  Thanks for checking. I just now booted up a ThinkPad with Windows 3.11,
                  unfortunately it have Office w/o MS Access. I am looking for the version
                  of Access that came before Access 97. I am looking on my end, and if I
                  find a copy I will let everyone know.

                  The DB came with a software program, I forget the name offhand, that in
                  effect was a "locked" MS Access file from 1995-96. New versions of Access
                  can't open it.

                  Bill
                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
                    B. Degnan wrote:
                    > At 07:44 AM 10/5/2007 -0700, you wrote:
                    >
                    >> Bill,
                    >>
                    >> At 66MB that's some index. So we don't all spin our wheels, do you know
                    >> what Access version created the file and what versions have you tried?
                    >>
                    >> Jim
                    >>

                    > Thanks for checking. I just now booted up a ThinkPad with Windows 3.11,
                    > unfortunately it have Office w/o MS Access. I am looking for the version
                    > of Access that came before Access 97. I am looking on my end, and if I
                    > find a copy I will let everyone know.
                    >
                    > The DB came with a software program, I forget the name offhand, that in
                    > effect was a "locked" MS Access file from 1995-96. New versions of Access
                    > can't open it.

                    Bill,

                    Do you happen to have the .MDA file that goes along with this file?
                    It may help in recovering the database.

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan
                  • Jeffrey Frady
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
                      I have Office '94 and I think it came with Access.  Not sure.

                      --
                      See you spare cowboy...