Re: [midatlanticretro] Early 128K Macs

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2007
      At 02:01 AM 10/5/2007 +0000, you wrote:
      >Some of the early Macs have a plastic case that was made from a mold
      >signed by Steve Jobs,
      >The Woz, Anderson and other Apple Computer founders. To take the Mac
      >apart requires a
      >torex tool that is about eight inches long or so and a 25 cent coin. A
      >case that is signed is
      >considerly of more value.

      I thought that they were all signed?

      Here is a pic from my site:
      http://www.vintagecomputer.net/apple/Macintosh/Macintosh_inside_cover_signatures-2.jpg

      http://www.vintagecomputer.net/apple/Macintosh/

      Bill
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2007
        Always amusing when an uninformed ebay seller posts, "RARE! Macintosh with signatures of the designers inside!!!" as if it's a museum bit ... Some people apparently think the signatures are real. :)

        I do think Bill is correct -- don't they ALL have the fake signatures inside?
      • macmothership
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
          All of the one piece Macs from the 128k through the SE have the signatures molded in. They
          are not rare. What would be rare is finding a Mac without them!

          It's Torx, not torex, by the way.

          Jim
          www.macmothership.com

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
            Hi
            I need a file converted from a very old version of MS Access into a CSV
            text file. If anyone is up for a challenge, here is the file:

            http://www.vintagecomputer.net/tem/DOMAIN.MDB

            It's a directory of early web sites from 1994-1995. Pls. contact me off
            list if you have success.

            Thanks.

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
              Jim! How's life in Chicago?

              Thanks for checking in with us.

              - Evan

              > All of the one piece Macs from the 128k through the SE have the signatures
              > molded in. They
              > are not rare. What would be rare is finding a Mac without them!
              >
              > It's Torx, not torex, by the way.
              >
              > Jim
              > www.macmothership.com
              >
              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Always amusing when an uninformed ebay seller posts, "RARE! Macintosh
              >> with signatures
              > of the designers inside!!!" as if it's a museum bit ... Some people
              > apparently think the
              > signatures are real. :)
              >>
              >> I do think Bill is correct -- don't they ALL have the fake signatures
              >> inside?
              >>

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • macmothership
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
                Great - thanks for asking! I love it! One indication of the difference between the East coast
                lifestyle and the Midwest lifestyle is the fact that I got two speeding tickets within the first
                month! Out here you just have to slow down and enjoy the corn fields!

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
                  At 09:05 AM 10/5/2007 -0400, you wrote:
                  >Jim! How's life in Chicago?
                  >
                  >Thanks for checking in with us.
                  >
                  >- Evan
                  >

                  > > All of the one piece Macs from the 128k through the SE have the signatures
                  > > molded in. They
                  > > are not rare. What would be rare is finding a Mac without them!
                  > >
                  > > It's Torx, not torex, by the way.
                  > >
                  > > Jim
                  > > www.macmothership.com

                  FYI - Jim helped me restore a orig. Mac just recently.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
                    Bill,

                    At 66MB that's some index. So we don't all spin our wheels, do you know what Access version created the file and what versions have you tried?

                    Jim

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
                      At 07:44 AM 10/5/2007 -0700, you wrote:
                      >Bill,
                      >
                      >At 66MB that's some index. So we don't all spin our wheels, do you know
                      >what Access version created the file and what versions have you tried?
                      >
                      >Jim

                      Thanks for checking. I just now booted up a ThinkPad with Windows 3.11,
                      unfortunately it have Office w/o MS Access. I am looking for the version
                      of Access that came before Access 97. I am looking on my end, and if I
                      find a copy I will let everyone know.

                      The DB came with a software program, I forget the name offhand, that in
                      effect was a "locked" MS Access file from 1995-96. New versions of Access
                      can't open it.

                      Bill
                    • Bryan Pope
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
                        B. Degnan wrote:
                        > At 07:44 AM 10/5/2007 -0700, you wrote:
                        >
                        >> Bill,
                        >>
                        >> At 66MB that's some index. So we don't all spin our wheels, do you know
                        >> what Access version created the file and what versions have you tried?
                        >>
                        >> Jim
                        >>

                        > Thanks for checking. I just now booted up a ThinkPad with Windows 3.11,
                        > unfortunately it have Office w/o MS Access. I am looking for the version
                        > of Access that came before Access 97. I am looking on my end, and if I
                        > find a copy I will let everyone know.
                        >
                        > The DB came with a software program, I forget the name offhand, that in
                        > effect was a "locked" MS Access file from 1995-96. New versions of Access
                        > can't open it.

                        Bill,

                        Do you happen to have the .MDA file that goes along with this file?
                        It may help in recovering the database.

                        Cheers,

                        Bryan
                      • Jeffrey Frady
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
                          I have Office '94 and I think it came with Access.  Not sure.

                          --
                          See you spare cowboy...