Early 128K Macs

  • tif_bailey
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2007
      Some of the early Macs have a plastic case that was made from a mold signed by Steve Jobs,
      The Woz, Anderson and other Apple Computer founders. To take the Mac apart requires a
      torex tool that is about eight inches long or so and a 25 cent coin. A case that is signed is
      considerly of more value.
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2007
        At 02:01 AM 10/5/2007 +0000, you wrote:
        >Some of the early Macs have a plastic case that was made from a mold
        >signed by Steve Jobs,
        >The Woz, Anderson and other Apple Computer founders. To take the Mac
        >apart requires a
        >torex tool that is about eight inches long or so and a 25 cent coin. A
        >case that is signed is
        >considerly of more value.

        I thought that they were all signed?

        Here is a pic from my site:
        http://www.vintagecomputer.net/apple/Macintosh/Macintosh_inside_cover_signatures-2.jpg

        http://www.vintagecomputer.net/apple/Macintosh/

        Bill
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 4, 2007
          Always amusing when an uninformed ebay seller posts, "RARE! Macintosh with signatures of the designers inside!!!" as if it's a museum bit ... Some people apparently think the signatures are real. :)

          I do think Bill is correct -- don't they ALL have the fake signatures inside?
        • macmothership
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
            All of the one piece Macs from the 128k through the SE have the signatures molded in. They
            are not rare. What would be rare is finding a Mac without them!

            It's Torx, not torex, by the way.

            Jim
            www.macmothership.com

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
              Hi
              I need a file converted from a very old version of MS Access into a CSV
              text file. If anyone is up for a challenge, here is the file:

              http://www.vintagecomputer.net/tem/DOMAIN.MDB

              It's a directory of early web sites from 1994-1995. Pls. contact me off
              list if you have success.

              Thanks.

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
                Jim! How's life in Chicago?

                Thanks for checking in with us.

                - Evan

                > All of the one piece Macs from the 128k through the SE have the signatures
                > molded in. They
                > are not rare. What would be rare is finding a Mac without them!
                >
                > It's Torx, not torex, by the way.
                >
                > Jim
                > www.macmothership.com
                >
                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Always amusing when an uninformed ebay seller posts, "RARE! Macintosh
                >> with signatures
                > of the designers inside!!!" as if it's a museum bit ... Some people
                > apparently think the
                > signatures are real. :)
                >>
                >> I do think Bill is correct -- don't they ALL have the fake signatures
                >> inside?
                >>

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • macmothership
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
                  Great - thanks for asking! I love it! One indication of the difference between the East coast
                  lifestyle and the Midwest lifestyle is the fact that I got two speeding tickets within the first
                  month! Out here you just have to slow down and enjoy the corn fields!

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
                    At 09:05 AM 10/5/2007 -0400, you wrote:
                    >Jim! How's life in Chicago?
                    >
                    >Thanks for checking in with us.
                    >
                    >- Evan
                    >

                    > > All of the one piece Macs from the 128k through the SE have the signatures
                    > > molded in. They
                    > > are not rare. What would be rare is finding a Mac without them!
                    > >
                    > > It's Torx, not torex, by the way.
                    > >
                    > > Jim
                    > > www.macmothership.com

                    FYI - Jim helped me restore a orig. Mac just recently.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
                      Bill,

                      At 66MB that's some index. So we don't all spin our wheels, do you know what Access version created the file and what versions have you tried?

                      Jim

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
                        At 07:44 AM 10/5/2007 -0700, you wrote:
                        >Bill,
                        >
                        >At 66MB that's some index. So we don't all spin our wheels, do you know
                        >what Access version created the file and what versions have you tried?
                        >
                        >Jim

                        Thanks for checking. I just now booted up a ThinkPad with Windows 3.11,
                        unfortunately it have Office w/o MS Access. I am looking for the version
                        of Access that came before Access 97. I am looking on my end, and if I
                        find a copy I will let everyone know.

                        The DB came with a software program, I forget the name offhand, that in
                        effect was a "locked" MS Access file from 1995-96. New versions of Access
                        can't open it.

                        Bill
                      • Bryan Pope
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
                          B. Degnan wrote:
                          > At 07:44 AM 10/5/2007 -0700, you wrote:
                          >
                          >> Bill,
                          >>
                          >> At 66MB that's some index. So we don't all spin our wheels, do you know
                          >> what Access version created the file and what versions have you tried?
                          >>
                          >> Jim
                          >>

                          > Thanks for checking. I just now booted up a ThinkPad with Windows 3.11,
                          > unfortunately it have Office w/o MS Access. I am looking for the version
                          > of Access that came before Access 97. I am looking on my end, and if I
                          > find a copy I will let everyone know.
                          >
                          > The DB came with a software program, I forget the name offhand, that in
                          > effect was a "locked" MS Access file from 1995-96. New versions of Access
                          > can't open it.

                          Bill,

                          Do you happen to have the .MDA file that goes along with this file?
                          It may help in recovering the database.

                          Cheers,

                          Bryan
                        • Jeffrey Frady
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 5, 2007
                            I have Office '94 and I think it came with Access.  Not sure.

                            --
                            See you spare cowboy...