Re: 128K Mac restored for MARCH

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
      "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:

      > Sounds like the Mac "model 1". If so then it's quite a
      > museum piece.

      I don't know what "museum piece" means specifically, but I appreciate
      the general sense that it's an early Mac 128K and so has some value in
      history. But there were many of them made, so they are not rare.
      Cosmetic condition determines the value of them, as they easily fade
      in roomlight or sunlight; working condition is of importance. The unit
      we have is slightly faded, probably worth "about" $200, could be
      bought for less. I would not be comfortable about an extended
      discussion of "value" beyond that.

      > If there's any interest in a slightly
      > later model for heavy display use I could pony up one
      > of those but have no model 1. Thanks for the donation.

      That's up to Evan, but MARCH has a few Mac Classics which would likely
      be adequate for use. I'm told there may be other "compact" Macs in the
      accumulation. Regarding "the donation", the Macs I worked on
      were already in MARCH's possession. I added some parts and time and
      knowledge, so I'll take some thanks for doing some work.

      > > if a member has a 400K floppy drive which
      > > is not working and wishes to donate it,
      >
      > How long did the 400K drive last? Maybe one of my later
      > models has one for yours.
      >
      > John A.

      The 400K Apple drive was only used in 128K and 512K Macs. The 512KE
      Mac used a 800K drive and updates to the ROMS and a controller chip
      called the IWM chip was also updated. There was an external 400K
      floppy drive, also.

      Thanks for the comments!

      Herb JOhnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
        "B Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

        > What is the battery for?

        The "PRAM" memory requires a battery to retain its contents. Some non
        essential settings are there. In addition, the battery runs the time
        of day clock. Running a small circuit all the time for years, on
        exposed copper circuits, in a humid environment, turns the copper to
        copper oxide - like your car battery's terminals. The battery will
        die, then crack open, and spill goop and spoil circuits. The battery
        contacts will corrode and fall off.

        In other words, batteries are evil.

        Herb Johnson
        usual Web page links, etc.