Re: 128K Mac restored for MARCH

  • rkushnier
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
      The battery provides power for the real-time clock and CMOS settings
      circuitry. I don't believe the original, recommended battery is
      available anymore, but one can be made up from a few double A's.

      I contributed an old working MAC which included a hard drive and
      floppys. It's probably still in the basement.

      Ron

      > > BATTERY IN THIS UNIT: it adds no noteworthy benefit and
      contributes to
      > > corrosion. It's hard to use anyway, with only one floppy drive:
      only
      > > another Apple Macintosh 400K drive would be appropriate, or the
      Apple

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
        At 11:03 AM 10/2/2007 +0000, you wrote:
        >The battery provides power for the real-time clock and CMOS settings
        >circuitry. I don't believe the original, recommended battery is
        >available anymore, but one can be made up from a few double A's.
        >
        >I contributed an old working MAC which included a hard drive and
        >floppys. It's probably still in the basement.
        >
        >Ron

        For the 128K and 512k MAC's - It's just a AA battery on the outside of the
        chassis. I have both types of MAC. It could have just been a coincidence,
        but replacing the battery allowed me to get the disk to eject for the first
        time. The AA battery is installed like any toy with batteries...there's a
        little plastic flap/cover you pop off on the outside of the case. I am
        sure that there is a web resource that explains the battery, I did not look
        very hard. I will be demoing the Mac in class later in the semester and I
        will by then do more research.

        Bill
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
          "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:

          > Sounds like the Mac "model 1". If so then it's quite a
          > museum piece.

          I don't know what "museum piece" means specifically, but I appreciate
          the general sense that it's an early Mac 128K and so has some value in
          history. But there were many of them made, so they are not rare.
          Cosmetic condition determines the value of them, as they easily fade
          in roomlight or sunlight; working condition is of importance. The unit
          we have is slightly faded, probably worth "about" $200, could be
          bought for less. I would not be comfortable about an extended
          discussion of "value" beyond that.

          > If there's any interest in a slightly
          > later model for heavy display use I could pony up one
          > of those but have no model 1. Thanks for the donation.

          That's up to Evan, but MARCH has a few Mac Classics which would likely
          be adequate for use. I'm told there may be other "compact" Macs in the
          accumulation. Regarding "the donation", the Macs I worked on
          were already in MARCH's possession. I added some parts and time and
          knowledge, so I'll take some thanks for doing some work.

          > > if a member has a 400K floppy drive which
          > > is not working and wishes to donate it,
          >
          > How long did the 400K drive last? Maybe one of my later
          > models has one for yours.
          >
          > John A.

          The 400K Apple drive was only used in 128K and 512K Macs. The 512KE
          Mac used a 800K drive and updates to the ROMS and a controller chip
          called the IWM chip was also updated. There was an external 400K
          floppy drive, also.

          Thanks for the comments!

          Herb JOhnson

          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
        • Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
            "B Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

            > What is the battery for?

            The "PRAM" memory requires a battery to retain its contents. Some non
            essential settings are there. In addition, the battery runs the time
            of day clock. Running a small circuit all the time for years, on
            exposed copper circuits, in a humid environment, turns the copper to
            copper oxide - like your car battery's terminals. The battery will
            die, then crack open, and spill goop and spoil circuits. The battery
            contacts will corrode and fall off.

            In other words, batteries are evil.

            Herb Johnson
            usual Web page links, etc.