128K Mac restored for MARCH

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
      I recently dropped off the MARCH 128K Macintosh system at our exhibit
      room in InfoAge. I repaired it at Evan's request. It now has a
      keyboard and mouse, and I've added a fan device sold for the Mac in
      the 1980's. This Mac was previously incomplete and had a nonworking
      floppy drive. It is labled "Macintosh" on the back, showing it is the
      earlier version of the 128K Mac.

      The 400K Sony floppy drive was cleaned, lubricated and tested, as part
      of a service business I have done for some time. Nonetheless it has a
      noisy "scrape" on rotation which is annoying but harmless. The
      keyboard and mouse are of the same, slightly faded, color as the Mac
      and are working and complete. I provided copies of some early Mac
      software.

      The fan proved to be necessary as the Mac would crash from
      overheating: not unusual for this model which came without fan, and
      crashing is common for this age of Mac (now over 20 years), short of
      replacing memory chips and other major repair.

      I don't recomment this machine be used regularly, but it's fine for
      occasional use and should not just sit idle. (Use will deteroriate the
      power supply and memory chips; no use may cause damage.) DO NOT PUT A
      BATTERY IN THIS UNIT: it adds no noteworthy benefit and contributes to
      corrosion. It's hard to use anyway, with only one floppy drive: only
      another Apple Macintosh 400K drive would be appropriate, or the Apple
      HD20 (non SCSI) hard drive. If a mamber has a 400K floppy drive
      which is not working and wishes to donate it, I'd look it over to see
      if I could resore it.

      Herb Johnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    • John Allain
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
        Sounds like the Mac "model 1". If so then it's quite a
        museum piece. If there's any interest in a slightly
        later model for heavy display use I could pony up one
        of those but have no model 1. Thanks for the donation.

        > if a member has a 400K floppy drive which
        > is not working and wishes to donate it,

        How long did the 400K drive last? Maybe one of my later
        models has one for yours.

        John A.
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007

          > I don't recomment this machine be used regularly, but it's fine for
          > occasional use and should not just sit idle. (Use will deteroriate the
          > power supply and memory chips; no use may cause damage.) DO NOT PUT A
          > BATTERY IN THIS UNIT: it adds no noteworthy benefit and contributes to
          > corrosion. It's hard to use anyway, with only one floppy drive: only
          > another Apple Macintosh 400K drive would be appropriate, or the Apple
          > HD20 (non SCSI) hard drive. If a mamber has a 400K floppy drive
          > which is not working and wishes to donate it, I'd look it over to see
          > if I could resore it.

          What is the battery for?

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007

            >> I don't recomment this machine be used regularly, but it's fine for
            >> occasional use and should not just sit idle. (Use will deteroriate the
            >> power supply and memory chips; no use may cause damage.) DO NOT PUT A
            >> BATTERY IN THIS UNIT: it adds no noteworthy benefit and contributes to
            >> corrosion. It's hard to use anyway, with only one floppy drive: only
            >> another Apple Macintosh 400K drive would be appropriate, or the Apple
            >> HD20 (non SCSI) hard drive. If a mamber has a 400K floppy drive
            >> which is not working and wishes to donate it, I'd look it over to see
            >> if I could resore it.
            >>

            > What is the battery for?

            I seem to recall that I could not eject a disk without the battery, but it
            may have been a coincidence.

            > Bill
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            -END-
          • rkushnier
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
              The battery provides power for the real-time clock and CMOS settings
              circuitry. I don't believe the original, recommended battery is
              available anymore, but one can be made up from a few double A's.

              I contributed an old working MAC which included a hard drive and
              floppys. It's probably still in the basement.

              Ron

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
                At 11:03 AM 10/2/2007 +0000, you wrote:
                >The battery provides power for the real-time clock and CMOS settings
                >circuitry. I don't believe the original, recommended battery is
                >available anymore, but one can be made up from a few double A's.
                >
                >I contributed an old working MAC which included a hard drive and
                >floppys. It's probably still in the basement.
                >
                >Ron

                For the 128K and 512k MAC's - It's just a AA battery on the outside of the
                chassis. I have both types of MAC. It could have just been a coincidence,
                but replacing the battery allowed me to get the disk to eject for the first
                time. The AA battery is installed like any toy with batteries...there's a
                little plastic flap/cover you pop off on the outside of the case. I am
                sure that there is a web resource that explains the battery, I did not look
                very hard. I will be demoing the Mac in class later in the semester and I
                will by then do more research.

                Bill
              • Herb Johnson
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
                  "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:

                  > Sounds like the Mac "model 1". If so then it's quite a
                  > museum piece.

                  I don't know what "museum piece" means specifically, but I appreciate
                  the general sense that it's an early Mac 128K and so has some value in
                  history. But there were many of them made, so they are not rare.
                  Cosmetic condition determines the value of them, as they easily fade
                  in roomlight or sunlight; working condition is of importance. The unit
                  we have is slightly faded, probably worth "about" $200, could be
                  bought for less. I would not be comfortable about an extended
                  discussion of "value" beyond that.

                  > If there's any interest in a slightly
                  > later model for heavy display use I could pony up one
                  > of those but have no model 1. Thanks for the donation.

                  That's up to Evan, but MARCH has a few Mac Classics which would likely
                  be adequate for use. I'm told there may be other "compact" Macs in the
                  accumulation. Regarding "the donation", the Macs I worked on
                  were already in MARCH's possession. I added some parts and time and
                  knowledge, so I'll take some thanks for doing some work.

                  > > if a member has a 400K floppy drive which
                  > > is not working and wishes to donate it,
                  >
                  > How long did the 400K drive last? Maybe one of my later
                  > models has one for yours.
                  >
                  > John A.

                  The 400K Apple drive was only used in 128K and 512K Macs. The 512KE
                  Mac used a 800K drive and updates to the ROMS and a controller chip
                  called the IWM chip was also updated. There was an external 400K
                  floppy drive, also.

                  Thanks for the comments!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
                    "B Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                    > What is the battery for?

                    The "PRAM" memory requires a battery to retain its contents. Some non
                    essential settings are there. In addition, the battery runs the time
                    of day clock. Running a small circuit all the time for years, on
                    exposed copper circuits, in a humid environment, turns the copper to
                    copper oxide - like your car battery's terminals. The battery will
                    die, then crack open, and spill goop and spoil circuits. The battery
                    contacts will corrode and fall off.

                    In other words, batteries are evil.

                    Herb Johnson
                    usual Web page links, etc.