Re: [midatlanticretro] Wow! Interesting museum visitor

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
      Evan wrote:
      > Today was the annual induction ceremon for the Broadcasters Hall of Fame, organized by our peers in the NJ Antique Radio Club, so I was there representing MARCH and showing folks our room.
      >
      > One of this year's inductees to their H.O.F. is a woman named Celeste Holm. Her husband said her son from a previous marriage is a big wig in the computer field. Now, I hear that kind of thing all the time, from proud parents etc. ... so just to be polite I ask Ms. Holm who is your son?
      >
      > TED NELSON !!!
      >
      > LOL, our computer musuem was visited by the mother of a god, and if not for the husband's offhand comment, we wouldn't have even known about it.
      >
      > I have some contact info ... hopefully he will reply if my email begins with, "I met your mother"...!
      >
      > Made my day.

      Good God man! Don't you realize that Celeste Holm is famous herself?
      She's an Oscar-winning actress, for the love of Mike! Best Supporting
      Actress in 1947. She was quite the cutie back in the day.

      I *soooo* wish I could have met her.

      Peace... Sridhar
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
        >> It's as if you, as a journalist, ran into Edward R. Murrow or Harrison Salisbury or someone. Wouldn't it be possible you'd be even slightly starstruck?

        Maybe ... so by that metaphor, are you telling us you're a Bollywood actor? :)
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
          Hmmm ... good point. Luckily I can go into our Yahoo group archive and alter history!
        • evan947
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

            > Hmmm ... good point. Luckily I can go into our Yahoo group archive
            and alter history!

            The deed is done.

            Sorry for my stupid message in the first place ... I am loathe to use
            the "go back in time and undo things as Big Brother" feature ... but
            as Tim pointed out, it was sorta-kinda necessary.
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
              Hi -
              I have updated my web site with some new information and pictures

              http://www.vintagecomputer.net

              The Community Memory Project
              The People's Computer Company
              Original Parody Cartoon: Fortran Man (with Billy BASIC)
              Core Memory for S-100? INFOREX Core Memory Controller with DATARAM installed
              Assembling IMSAI 8080 and Wonderbus Thinker Toys repair project (capacitor
              blow-outs)
              IMSAI 8080 and Solos / Cutter youtube.com VIDEO (more progress on the
              system Bill S worked with me to restore)
              Original Macintosh restoration project

              Bill
            • Timothy J Fagan
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
                LOL...

                > Hmmm ... good point. Luckily I can go into our Yahoo group archive
                and alter history!

                The deed is done.

                Sorry for my stupid message in the first place ... I am loathe to use
                the "go back in time and undo things as Big Brother" feature ... but
                as Tim pointed out, it was sorta-kinda necessary.

              • Hex Star
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
                  Shoulda gotten Holm to sign a vintage computer, bet that'd go for a lot :D
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
                    >>> According to the Wikipedia article on Celeste, it says that her son
                    Ted Nelson and Holm are "estranged".. Hopefully that won't make it
                    any more difficult to contact Ted. Also the husband is half her age
                    and is an opera singer.

                    Oh. Well, even if it's true, she and the husband obviously realized that
                    I did NOT know ... plus they're the ones who brought up Nelson. So it's
                    no big deal. They even gave me a couple of pointers about how to reach
                    him.
                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
                      Evan wrote:
                      >>> It's as if you, as a journalist, ran into Edward R. Murrow or Harrison Salisbury or someone. Wouldn't it be possible you'd be even slightly starstruck?
                      >
                      > Maybe ... so by that metaphor, are you telling us you're a Bollywood actor? :)

                      I haven't done it in quite a while, but I was a professional opera
                      singer for quite some time. And yes, I've also done film work.

                      Peace... Sridhar