Wow! Interesting museum visitor

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 29, 2007
      Today was the annual induction ceremon for the Broadcasters Hall of Fame, organized by our peers in the NJ Antique Radio Club, so I was there representing MARCH and showing folks our room.

      One of this year's inductees to their H.O.F. is a woman named Celeste Holm. Her husband said her son from a previous marriage is a big wig in the computer field. Now, I hear that kind of thing all the time, from proud parents etc. ... so just to be polite I ask Ms. Holm who is your son?

      TED NELSON !!!

      LOL, our computer musuem was visited by the mother of a god, and if not for the husband's offhand comment, we wouldn't have even known about it.

      I have some contact info ... hopefully he will reply if my email begins with, "I met your mother"...!

      Made my day.
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 29, 2007
        "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

        > Today was the annual induction ceremon for the Broadcasters Hall of
        Fame, organized by our peers in the NJ Antique Radio Club, so I was
        there representing MARCH and showing folks our room.

        > One of this year's inductees to their H.O.F. is a woman named
        Celeste Holm.

        Evan's note got my attention because I worked for Ted Nelson, who Evan
        noted is a son of Mrs. Holm. Ted is a pioneer of Web development, who
        wrote and lectured about "hypertext" by name well before Internet
        technology became practical and available.

        Mrs. Holm, says the Web, is a New Jersey native with a long acting
        career, a winner of an Oscar and Golden Globe in the 1940's, and with
        numerous award nominations to the present. She has been active in
        TV and films over the last several years. Some Web links to Mrs. Holm
        that I stumbled across include:

        http://broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=17927

        http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002141/

        The National Broadcaster's Web site is apparently:

        http://www.infoage.org/NBHF.htm

        ..and the history of the exhibit goes back to the mid-1970's.

        It's interesting to see the activities and quality of the groups
        associated with InfoAge. We are in good company.

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
          Evan wrote:
          > Today was the annual induction ceremon for the Broadcasters Hall of Fame, organized by our peers in the NJ Antique Radio Club, so I was there representing MARCH and showing folks our room.
          >
          > One of this year's inductees to their H.O.F. is a woman named Celeste Holm. Her husband said her son from a previous marriage is a big wig in the computer field. Now, I hear that kind of thing all the time, from proud parents etc. ... so just to be polite I ask Ms. Holm who is your son?
          >
          > TED NELSON !!!
          >
          > LOL, our computer musuem was visited by the mother of a god, and if not for the husband's offhand comment, we wouldn't have even known about it.
          >
          > I have some contact info ... hopefully he will reply if my email begins with, "I met your mother"...!
          >
          > Made my day.

          Good God man! Don't you realize that Celeste Holm is famous herself?
          She's an Oscar-winning actress, for the love of Mike! Best Supporting
          Actress in 1947. She was quite the cutie back in the day.

          I *soooo* wish I could have met her.

          Peace... Sridhar
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
            >> It's as if you, as a journalist, ran into Edward R. Murrow or Harrison Salisbury or someone. Wouldn't it be possible you'd be even slightly starstruck?

            Maybe ... so by that metaphor, are you telling us you're a Bollywood actor? :)
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
              Hmmm ... good point. Luckily I can go into our Yahoo group archive and alter history!
            • evan947
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

                > Hmmm ... good point. Luckily I can go into our Yahoo group archive
                and alter history!

                The deed is done.

                Sorry for my stupid message in the first place ... I am loathe to use
                the "go back in time and undo things as Big Brother" feature ... but
                as Tim pointed out, it was sorta-kinda necessary.
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
                  Hi -
                  I have updated my web site with some new information and pictures

                  http://www.vintagecomputer.net

                  The Community Memory Project
                  The People's Computer Company
                  Original Parody Cartoon: Fortran Man (with Billy BASIC)
                  Core Memory for S-100? INFOREX Core Memory Controller with DATARAM installed
                  Assembling IMSAI 8080 and Wonderbus Thinker Toys repair project (capacitor
                  blow-outs)
                  IMSAI 8080 and Solos / Cutter youtube.com VIDEO (more progress on the
                  system Bill S worked with me to restore)
                  Original Macintosh restoration project

                  Bill
                • Timothy J Fagan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
                    LOL...

                    > Hmmm ... good point. Luckily I can go into our Yahoo group archive
                    and alter history!

                    The deed is done.

                    Sorry for my stupid message in the first place ... I am loathe to use
                    the "go back in time and undo things as Big Brother" feature ... but
                    as Tim pointed out, it was sorta-kinda necessary.

                  • Hex Star
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
                      Shoulda gotten Holm to sign a vintage computer, bet that'd go for a lot :D
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
                        >>> According to the Wikipedia article on Celeste, it says that her son
                        Ted Nelson and Holm are "estranged".. Hopefully that won't make it
                        any more difficult to contact Ted. Also the husband is half her age
                        and is an opera singer.

                        Oh. Well, even if it's true, she and the husband obviously realized that
                        I did NOT know ... plus they're the ones who brought up Nelson. So it's
                        no big deal. They even gave me a couple of pointers about how to reach
                        him.
                      • Sridhar Ayengar
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
                          Evan wrote:
                          >>> It's as if you, as a journalist, ran into Edward R. Murrow or Harrison Salisbury or someone. Wouldn't it be possible you'd be even slightly starstruck?
                          >
                          > Maybe ... so by that metaphor, are you telling us you're a Bollywood actor? :)

                          I haven't done it in quite a while, but I was a professional opera
                          singer for quite some time. And yes, I've also done film work.

                          Peace... Sridhar