RE: [midatlanticretro] Vintage Usenet group proposed

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 28, 2007
      That's dumb. Alk.folklore.computers has been around, and active, for
      several years. Eventually most people fled, for the safe haven of
      classiccmp, because of all the usenet spam. And it's not like usenet is
      suddenly having a growth spurt, it's as dead as betamax.

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 28, 2007
        I like those features, I just hate the implementation. But it's moot
        because of alt.folklore.computers ... maybe somewhat mis-named but it
        sounds like whoever proposed the "new" group didn't bother to search
        first.

        > That's dumb. Alk.folklore.computers has been around, and active, for
        > several years. Eventually most people fled, for the safe haven of
        > classiccmp, because of all the usenet spam. And it's not like usenet
        is
        > suddenly having a growth spurt, it's as dead as betamax.

        Some people still prefer Usenet. None of that stupid html nonsense, and

        good subject threading. Anyway I have no dog in the fight. :-) I'm
        just
        passing on a proposal, but I don't see what harm it would have.

        Mark

        --

        From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

        http://www.warpstock.eu

        http://www.os2voice.org

        democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership
        of
        Investigation, 1938

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Payton Byrd

          > That's dumb. Alk.folklore. computers has been around, and active, for
          > several years. Eventually most people fled, for the safe haven of
          > classiccmp, because of all the usenet spam. And it's not like usenet
          is
          > suddenly having a growth spurt, it's as dead as betamax.

          Some people still prefer Usenet. None of that stupid html nonsense, and

          good subject threading. Anyway I have no dog in the fight. :-) I'm
          just
          passing on a proposal, but I don't see what harm it would have.

          Mark

          --

          From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

          Warpstock 2007 - Toronto, Ontario, Canada: http://www.warpstoc k.org
          http://www.warpstoc k.eu

          http://www.os2voice .org

          democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership
          of
          Investigation, 1938

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Discussion about new devices which are constantly being designed, built and sold for vintage computers is hardly what I would call folklore.  It's an opportunity for fans of vintage computers to band together and express common interests and share ideas for interoperability and such going forward.
        • madodel
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 28, 2007
            Evan Koblentz wrote:
            > That's dumb. Alk.folklore.computers has been around, and active, for
            > several years. Eventually most people fled, for the safe haven of
            > classiccmp, because of all the usenet spam. And it's not like usenet is
            > suddenly having a growth spurt, it's as dead as betamax.

            Some people still prefer Usenet. None of that stupid html nonsense, and
            good subject threading. Anyway I have no dog in the fight. :-) I'm just
            passing on a proposal, but I don't see what harm it would have.

            Mark

            --

            From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

            http://www.warpstock.eu

            http://www.os2voice.org

            Investigation, 1938
          • madodel
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 28, 2007
              Evan Koblentz wrote:
              > I like those features, I just hate the implementation. But it's moot
              > because of alt.folklore.computers ... maybe somewhat mis-named but it
              > sounds like whoever proposed the "new" group didn't bother to search
              > first.

              That's fine, but any alt group is not an official Usenet Big8 group. So
              that is only partly relevant in regard to proposing a Big8 official group.
              Some alt groups become official groups. On the converse some alt groups
              spring up when people want a more specific focus then that provided by a
              Big8 group.

              Mark

              --

              From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

              http://www.warpstock.eu

              http://www.os2voice.org

              Investigation, 1938
            • John Allain
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 28, 2007
                Doesn't sound like it's a threat to mailto:classiccmp, as per Evan.
                I'm for it. I visit alt.sys.pdp11,comp.os.vms, vmsnet.pdp11 with
                some regularity. Reading news is no problem. Posting is a headache
                given the need to use a spamproof address.

                John A.
              • Hex Star
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 30, 2007
                  So what ever happened to this?