Re: [midatlanticretro] Vintage Usenet group proposed

  • Hex Star
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 28, 2007
      I submitted a post with the subject of comp.sys.vintage to that usenet group through http://groups.google.com however it apparently is pending moderation before being posted...
    • madodel
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 28, 2007
        If anyone is interested in commenting, as part of a proposal to create a
        bunch of new news groups, there is a proposal to create a new Usenet group
        for vintage computers.

        For those who don't know Usenet is a text based messaging protocol that is
        accessed through dedicated news servers. You need a news reader (like
        Thunderbird or others, many of which are listed at
        http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:news_readers ). You also
        need access to a news server ( a list of some of the more common ones is at
        http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:news_providers though most
        ISPs provide access to Usenet groups) or you can access via your favorite
        web browser at http://groups.google.com/ I am the maintainer for both of
        these pages so if you know of any additions or corrections please let me know.

        The proposed group name is comp.sys.vintage and the announcement is in
        news://news.announce.newgroups with the
        Subject: 3rd RFD: bulk creation of "obvious" groups (LAST CALL FOR COMMENTS)

        They originally proposed comp.sys.antiques but I suggested comp.sys.vintage
        as being the term more widely used. (See I learned something in this group.)

        If anyone would like to voice support or dissent with creating this group
        or the name they can post a comment at news://news.groups.proposals with
        either the original subject line or comp.sys.vintage in the subject. Why
        this name? Usenet has a specific naming hierarchy. There is a set of 8
        top level names with "comp" being the one for computer topics. "sys" is
        for systems. So comp.sys.vintage would be for "computer systems vintage".
        The only stated basis for this group is "Unsupported computer
        platforms". So just about any non-current computer platforms would be
        on-topic for discussion.

        Feel free to forward this to any other vintage computing forums or lists
        you know about.

        Mark

        --

        From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

        http://www.warpstock.eu

        http://www.os2voice.org

        Investigation, 1938
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 28, 2007
          That's dumb. Alk.folklore.computers has been around, and active, for
          several years. Eventually most people fled, for the safe haven of
          classiccmp, because of all the usenet spam. And it's not like usenet is
          suddenly having a growth spurt, it's as dead as betamax.

[...]

          Subject: 3rd RFD: bulk creation of "obvious" groups (LAST CALL
          FOR COMMENTS)

[...]

          From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

          http://www.warpstock.eu

          http://www.os2voice.org

          democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership
          of
          Investigation, 1938

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 28, 2007
            I like those features, I just hate the implementation. But it's moot
            because of alt.folklore.computers ... maybe somewhat mis-named but it
            sounds like whoever proposed the "new" group didn't bother to search
            first.

            > That's dumb. Alk.folklore.computers has been around, and active, for
            > several years. Eventually most people fled, for the safe haven of
            > classiccmp, because of all the usenet spam. And it's not like usenet
            is
            > suddenly having a growth spurt, it's as dead as betamax.

            Some people still prefer Usenet. None of that stupid html nonsense, and

            good subject threading. Anyway I have no dog in the fight. :-) I'm
            just
            passing on a proposal, but I don't see what harm it would have.

            Mark

            --

            From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

            http://www.warpstock.eu

            http://www.os2voice.org

            democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership
            of
            Investigation, 1938

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Payton Byrd

              > That's dumb. Alk.folklore. computers has been around, and active, for
              > several years. Eventually most people fled, for the safe haven of
              > classiccmp, because of all the usenet spam. And it's not like usenet
              is
              > suddenly having a growth spurt, it's as dead as betamax.

              Some people still prefer Usenet. None of that stupid html nonsense, and

              good subject threading. Anyway I have no dog in the fight. :-) I'm
              just
              passing on a proposal, but I don't see what harm it would have.

              Mark

              --

              From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

              Warpstock 2007 - Toronto, Ontario, Canada: http://www.warpstoc k.org
              http://www.warpstoc k.eu

              http://www.os2voice .org

              democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership
              of
              Investigation, 1938

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Discussion about new devices which are constantly being designed, built and sold for vintage computers is hardly what I would call folklore.  It's an opportunity for fans of vintage computers to band together and express common interests and share ideas for interoperability and such going forward.
            • madodel
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 28, 2007
                Evan Koblentz wrote:
                > That's dumb. Alk.folklore.computers has been around, and active, for
                > several years. Eventually most people fled, for the safe haven of
                > classiccmp, because of all the usenet spam. And it's not like usenet is
                > suddenly having a growth spurt, it's as dead as betamax.

                Some people still prefer Usenet. None of that stupid html nonsense, and
                good subject threading. Anyway I have no dog in the fight. :-) I'm just
                passing on a proposal, but I don't see what harm it would have.

                Mark

                --

                From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

                http://www.warpstock.eu

                http://www.os2voice.org

                Investigation, 1938
              • madodel
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 28, 2007
                  Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  > I like those features, I just hate the implementation. But it's moot
                  > because of alt.folklore.computers ... maybe somewhat mis-named but it
                  > sounds like whoever proposed the "new" group didn't bother to search
                  > first.

                  That's fine, but any alt group is not an official Usenet Big8 group. So
                  that is only partly relevant in regard to proposing a Big8 official group.
                  Some alt groups become official groups. On the converse some alt groups
                  spring up when people want a more specific focus then that provided by a
                  Big8 group.

                  Mark

                  --

                  From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

                  http://www.warpstock.eu

                  http://www.os2voice.org

                  Investigation, 1938
                • John Allain
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 28, 2007
                    Doesn't sound like it's a threat to mailto:classiccmp, as per Evan.
                    I'm for it. I visit alt.sys.pdp11,comp.os.vms, vmsnet.pdp11 with
                    some regularity. Reading news is no problem. Posting is a headache
                    given the need to use a spamproof address.

                    John A.
                  • Hex Star
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 30, 2007
                      So what ever happened to this?