RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: Club updates, events, and stuff... - let's do the chat!

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
      Evan and all,

      A chat might be fun and be a good way to work up some enthusiasm. A chat is a
      way to have an interactive working session. We used to do it on CompuServe.
      The chat feature in the Yahoo Group looks quite easy to use: just go to the
      Group web site and click on 'chat'. You will be prompted to install a web
      control. Once that is installed, the chat window becomes active. I did not
      test using Firefox or Mozilla/Netscape so I do not know if browsers other
      than IE are supported. Everyone who shows up at the appointed hour will be
      part of the chat. I did not see any moderator tools, but I didn't look very
      hard either.

      This chat should not be viewed as an announcement of completed plans but
      rather a way for more people to participate in making those plans.

      The museum concept is a really cool idea and I can see how this group could
      pull it off. It would be nice for me if it were closer to Connecticut, but
      WTH. It might even be a nice home for my IBM 5110!

      Jim

    • Evan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
        >>> A chat might be fun and be a good way to work up some enthusiasm

        True!  I tried just now and couldn't get the Yahoo Groups client to work in Firefox 1.04.  Even installed some Java plug-ins.  Anyone have suggestions?

        I'm not anti-Microsoft, but I hate to mandate its use to the group.  LOL, it's bad enough that I made everyone do Yahoo (which was selected for a logical reason -- wide availability, easy control, pre-built.)  It will no longer be needed when John finishes our new web site.  No pressure, Mr. Allain.  :)

        --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:
        > Great idea, but next week is too soon.  We should begin our
        show planning *
        > after * we make more progress with the InfoAge people
        and the museum
        > concept.  No point in decorating before we build our
        house.

        > I definitely support merging VCF East 3.0 with the
        grand opening of the
        > MARCH museum.  LOL, I'm not clear if you were
        suggesting that exactly, but
        > support it anyway.
        :)

        > Sellam does have a VCF event checklist.  I saw it
        once before.  Will ask
        > him
        > to send me an updated
        version.

        mini festival of just MARCH people this
        > Fall

        > In
        many ways, our Trenton experience did just that.  But there's no reason
        > to wait until autumn to begin documenting (and adding to!) the
        existing
        > InfoAge (a.k.a., "Grabbe") collection.  As I said, still
        waiting to hear
        > the
        > status of InfoAge actually moving Mr.
        Grabbe's collection to its facility,
        > and still waiting for you MARCH'rs
        to collectively tell me "Yes! We want to
        > help run the museum!" before I
        tell InfoAge the same thing.  (LOL, at least
        > so I don't get stuck
        doing all the work.)

        >   _____

        How about a MARCH 1.0 (VCF East) kick off chat conference?  I think that
        > this
        > would be more practical than meeting at the InfoAge
        location physically and

        > will encourage more people to
        participate.  I for one have a tight weekend
        > schedule that
        restricts when I can travel.  I realize that some will have

        > go to
        > the facility when we get closer to the event, but with
        "marching orders"
        > the
        >
        > visit will be more
        practical.  Anyone have experience setting up a chat?  I

        > propose some early evening next week, like the 8th or 9th.
        >
        > Here is what I have in mind:
        >
        > 1) A floor plan of the
        facility is posted electronically to the yahoo group

        > pictures
        area
        > in advance of the chat (Evan?)
        > 2) Other pertinent info is
        also posted in advance (basic floor space, etc.)
        > 3) Perhaps Sellam has a
        kickoff checklist?  Perhaps Sellam can participate
        > in
        > the
        chat to give us ideas?
        > 4) Set a timeline and assign tasks.
        > Some
        examples:
        > a) create a checklist of must have's and like to have's for
        event
        > b) assign someone to complete a site survey specific to the event
        and
        > verify
        >
        > the must have's are possible and like to
        have's are likely.
        > c) determine the date of a practice event (see below)
        and an then the VCF
        > East itself
        > d) create teams for publicity,
        finance, operations/registration, facility
        > management, guest services,
        and overall coordinator(s)
        > e) schedule meeting dates for each team to
        kick off their part
        > f) schedule the next general chat to report each
        team's progress.

        > PRACTICE EVENT/SITE INVENTORY
        > I think
        we should do a practice mini festival of just MARCH people this
        > Fall.
        > We can take the opportunity to meet with the InfoAge management as a
        group,

        > and we can start an electronic inventory of the items
        that are currently
        > warehoused at the facility.  I am thinking a
        barcoding system and database.
        > There
        > might be items that need
        mechanical attention/cleaning to save them.  We
        > might
        > even
        use this as an opportunity to bring items we don't have room to store
        > at
        > our homes/businesses to donate to the InfoAge project.

        Bill

        >   _____
        >
        > Yahoo!
        Groups Links

        > *      To visit
        your group on the web, go to:

        > *      To unsubscribe from this
        group, send an email to:

        > *      Your use
        of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service