Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Important! Amendment to museum exhibit plan

    Message 1 of 44 , Sep 25 8:06 AM

      > Does MARCH have a form that is used when something is loaned/donated?
      > I've loaned
      > parts of my collection to others to see, copy, etc and sometimes had
      > extremely difficult
      > times getting them returned.

      I can't argue that the museum space is very important and getting this
      done first is a good thing. I personally believe people should hold off
      before making any serious/valuable/personally valuable donations of
      working systems however, we're not ready for that, yet. All systems in
      MARCH's InfoAge inventory are not being adequately cataloged and stored at
      present, there's no denying that.

      I do not believe that there is any official paperwork tying MARCH to
      InfoAge's non-profit status. Any donations to MARCH would have to go
      through InfoAge, and they would be the ones to issue a tax receipt. There
      is more work to do. I am not confident that even InfoAge has all of the
      needed paperwork filed, I would like to learn more about where things
      stand.

      The U of D computer museum project that I am affiliated with has an intake
      and cataloging process designed by the museum studies department. What's
      most important is that every item absorbed by the University must go
      through intake. They have a numbering system, storage facility, shelves,
      etc.

      It is the U of D intake process that gave me the confidence to loan my TRS
      80 Model 1 display from the VCF to the University. They have even paid
      for lighting that is UV-free, air conditioned displays, etc. I have spent
      too many hours on this display and the systems for it not to be returned
      to me in the same condition as I provided it. At present InfoAge cannot
      guarantee this same protection. I do not want people poking at the
      computers or using them, and for the really valuable stuff, it's foolish
      to let "the public" have access to delicate systems IMHO.

      Property insurance is meaningless; It can only provide $$ for the apparent
      value of the items if they are "obviously" destroyed. What about slow
      decline due to bad environment - dust, heat, humidity, UV, etc? How do
      you prove damage? Insurance at this point is only valuable for injuries,
      etc. for events.

      There are two major issues associated with what museum folks call "Intake"
      1) catalog/inventory
      2) proper storage facilities

      I attempted to handle the former issue by writing and publishing an online
      inventory program for MARCH

      marchclub.org/inventory/

      ...it goes un-used for InfoAge items other than the few I entered myself.

      Last comment - I live very close to the U of Delaware, and therefore I can
      participate in their museum and how it is run. I wish I lived closer to
      InfoAge. It's easy to say a bunch of stuff needs to be done, when you're
      not there all of the time, that is why I have not been overly critical. I
      BEG however that everyone who visits or helps with InfoAge during the
      building phase please at least keep machines out of the sun, cover them
      up, get the delicate stuff out of humid conditions. I almost feel like we
      should store some of these items off site until the museum is ready. We
      will regret that when the museum is finally ready the items will no longer
      be what they were when they originally arrived.

      Message 44 of 44 , Oct 4, 2007
        Have you ever successfully OCR'd a magazine before?