Re: Club updates, events, and stuff...

  • msimonsmail
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan Koblentz"
      <evan947@y...> wrote:
      > - Somehow our Yahoo group is now 76 people. About 15-20 of us are
      > known entities. LOL, so who the heck are the rest of you? Please

      Actually, there are more than 76 people. Bouncing members and
      moderators are not counted as part of the regular membership list.

      So that's +1 moderator and +4 bouncing.
    • billdeg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
        Evan (all)
        How about a MARCH 1.0 (VCF East) kick off chat conference? I think that this
        would be more practical than meeting at the InfoAge location physically and
        will encourage more people to participate. I for one have a tight weekend
        schedule that restricts when I can travel. I realize that some will have to go to
        the facility when we get closer to the event, but with "marching orders" the
        visit will be more practical. Anyone have experience setting up a chat? I
        propose some early evening next week, like the 8th or 9th.

        Here is what I have in mind:

        1) A floor plan of the facility is posted electronically to the yahoo group
        pictures area
        in advance of the chat (Evan?)
        2) Other pertinent info is also posted in advance (basic floor space, etc.)
        3) Perhaps Sellam has a kickoff checklist? Perhaps Sellam can participate in
        the chat to give us ideas?
        4) Set a timeline and assign tasks.
        Some examples:
        a) create a checklist of must have's and like to have's for event
        b) assign someone to complete a site survey specific to the event and verify
        the must have's are possible and like to have's are likely.
        c) determine the date of a practice event (see below) and an then the VCF
        East itself
        d) create teams for publicity, finance, operations/registration, facility
        management, guest services, and overall coordinator(s)
        e) schedule meeting dates for each team to kick off their part
        f) schedule the next general chat to report each team's progress.

        PRACTICE EVENT/SITE INVENTORY
        I think we should do a practice mini festival of just MARCH people this Fall.
        We can take the opportunity to meet with the InfoAge management as a group,
        and we can start an electronic inventory of the items that are currently
        warehoused at the facility. I am thinking a barcoding system and database. There
        might be items that need mechanical attention/cleaning to save them. We might
        even use this as an opportunity to bring items we don't have room to store at
        our homes/businesses to donate to the InfoAge project.

        Bill
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
          Great idea, but next week is too soon.  We should begin our show planning * after * we make more progress with the InfoAge people and the museum concept.  No point in decorating before we build our house.

          I definitely support merging VCF East 3.0 with the grand opening of the MARCH museum.  LOL, I'm not clear if you were suggesting that exactly, but I support it anyway.   :)

          Sellam does have a VCF event checklist.  I saw it once before.  Will ask him to send me an updated version.

          >>> I think we should do a practice mini festival of just MARCH people this Fall

          In many ways, our Trenton experience did just that.  But there's no reason to wait until autumn to begin documenting (and adding to!) the existing InfoAge (a.k.a., "Grabbe") collection.  As I said, still waiting to hear the status of InfoAge actually moving Mr. Grabbe's collection to its facility, and still waiting for you MARCH'rs to collectively tell me "Yes! We want to help run the museum!" before I tell InfoAge the same thing.  (LOL, at least so I don't get stuck doing all the work.)

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
            Evan,
            What is their timeline? It would not hurt to present them with a proposed
            agenda, I still think picking a date for a kickoff chat cannot hurt...how about
            the week of the 13th?
            Bill

            In a message dated 6/1/2005 12:02:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            evan947@... writes:

            > Great idea, but next week is too soon. We should begin our show planning *
            > after * we make more progress with the InfoAge people and the museum
            > concept. No point in decorating before we build our house.
            >
            > I definitely support merging VCF East 3.0 with the grand opening of the
            > MARCH museum. LOL, I'm not clear if you were suggesting that exactly, but
            > support it anyway. :)
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
              InfoAge didn't give us a timeline.  Their top goal is the radio museum stuff.  Everything else that will be located at the facility is secondary -- that includes us, various science organization offices, possibly a diving or transportation museum, etc.

              I don't mean that our part is a second-class citizen, just that the InfoAge people properly recognize that we all have jobs and other committments and stuff, so all they're asking of us is a reasonable and consistent effort.

              evan947@... writes:

              > Great idea, but next week is too
              soon.  We should begin our show planning *
              >  after * we make
              more progress with the InfoAge people and the museum
              concept.  No point in decorating before we build our house.

              >  I definitely support merging VCF East
              3.0 with the grand opening of the
              >  MARCH museum.  LOL, I'm not
              clear if you were suggesting that exactly, but
              >  support it
              anyway.   :)