Dumpster diving

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 21, 2007
      Hi Gang:

      Joe brought up his recent score at a dumpster. I thought I'd pass
      along a good dumpster site:

      The East Brunswick, NJ Recycling Center.

      It's located on Dunhams Corner Road, about a mile and change
      southwest of Ryders Land (County Road 617).

      The center is open Monday through Saturday 8AM to 4PM. Closed holidays.

      Anyway, they have a small building (I think it once was a truck
      trailer) that is used to collect computer "stuff".
      There's a lot of CRT monitors, plus various old computer. Most of
      those are fairly recent.. (no Digital Equipment gear),
      but, sometimes there are interesting things. The stuff gets sent
      away regularly, so the "inventory" changes often.

      Anyway, -IF- you happened to be passing through East Brunswick, and
      were near this recycle facility, you might
      find it interesting to see what's being recycled. The intent of the
      place is for people to have a facility where they
      can unload old electronic stuff. If you have some old magazines,
      cardboard boxes, clothing, or newspapers you want to dump,
      this is a good place to do it. I can't imagine that they would
      object to anyone taking some computer item away, if you find a gem.

      73 de Ray
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 24, 2007
        Ray Sills <raysills@...> wrote:

        > Joe brought up his recent score at a dumpster. I thought I'd pass
        > along a good dumpster site:
        >
        > The East Brunswick, NJ Recycling Center.If you have some
        > old magazines,
        > cardboard boxes, clothing, or newspapers you want to dump,
        > this is a good place to do it. I can't imagine that they would
        > object to anyone taking some computer item away, if you find a gem.

        Not to be a spoiler, but I recycle enough equipment to be familiar
        with New Jersey county recycling policy. It's likely that this center
        is limited to "dumping" - donations - from RESIDENTS OF THE COUNTY, or
        to residents of the community it serves. A Web search will likely find
        a Web site with more information. Usually these are funded locally and
        so they don't want to "pay for" some other communities' disposal of
        stuff. And, they might enforce that restriction with a ticket if
        they identify your stuff as inappropriate.

        Recycling is a tough business or service, it's not easy to make a
        profit, in part because of restrictions about processing of various
        materials add to costs. Yet it's important to the community because it
        keeps wastes out of the landfill. When landfills are "full", it costs
        YOU more in taxes to carry your home wastes to sites more distant.

        If you can establish a good relationship with a recycler, it's a
        chance to get some nice items that others disposed of. But keep in
        mind they don't have time to mess around. I've had one commercial site
        literally tell me to "get the hell out of there" when I asked about
        buying a few items while they were trying to process *truckloads*. Be
        thoughtful.

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA