Re: MARCH PDP-11 exhibit, project update

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 21, 2007

      "William Donzelli" <wdonzelli@...> wrote:
      > I would like to commend John for saying one of the smartest things I
      > have seen about MARCH. He seems to have his head screwed on straight.
      >
      > It would be very beneficial to MARCH to get some focus - and this is a
      > great way to do it. Come up with an idea for an exhibit that the group
      > can relate to, and work on getting a presentable display up. Do not be
      > distracted by unrelated transient projects. Be thorough, doing a
      > professional job - and the exhibit will shine.

      I spent considerable time today, in trying to decide if I should argue
      with you two above, or simply tell you both not to use my project and
      discussion thread to discuss MARCH policy. For now, I'm not going to
      argue.

      This thread, and others similarly titled, will be about work on the
      11/20 exhibit and its contents and artifacts. I am NOT discussing
      MARCH policy on exhibits or on its inventory. I do not consider my
      project, as a prototype for others or as setting any standard other
      than one based on RESULTS. Policy is simply outside the scope of my
      responsibilities.

      And discussions of a final display scheme are premature. I saw little
      otherwise in your posts which were specific to what I've done. What
      I've done is accessable on a Web page as noted. I welcome the other
      posts which discuss that content and I'll try to put some of that on
      that page. Of course any information, Web links, resources and so on
      will be appreciated and added when relevant. I'm glad this project has
      some interest.

      Please take your policy discussions to another thread; I am not saying
      you can't post such discussions as I have no right to do that. But I
      think I can moderate a discussion about work I am doing for MARCH.
      It's fair to exclude other discusions outside the scope of that work,
      so I can focus on the work I've offered to do.

      Herb Johnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 21, 2007
        >>> I am NOT discussing MARCH policy on exhibits or on its inventory.

        I don't see that anyone is trying to argue or has anything other than
        MARCH's best interests in mind. A little thread-drift is a natural thing.
        Just ask Jay West. :)

        Anyway, comments re: MARCH policy are clearly (and deservedly!) meant for
        me, not you, Herb. So please don't take any of that personally...

        To everyone: in an upcoming email, I will address the questions about our
        mission etc. For now let's please keep the PDP thread to the PDP
        exhibit...

        However the one thing I will say now (yes this is drift) is just to repeat
        what I said a few weeks ago, i.e., I fully support having some stand-alone
        "best of MARCH" exhibits simultaneous to the planning and construction of
        our long-term themed exhibits. So let it be said, so let it be done...!

        And now back to our regular discussion about the 11/20. Herb, the floor
        is yours.
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 22, 2007
          Herb,

          This looks to be a very interesting exhibit.
          I'll look forward to this when I visit there.
          Keep up the great work !

          =Dan
          [ "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them"     ]
          [ Pittsburgh ----http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]

          Herb Johnson wrote:

          I've updated my Web page on the PDP 11/20 system today. This page is
          for MARCH use only, not for public access.

          http://www.retrotec hnology.com/ pdp11/

          This was a system used by the National Bureau of Standards and the
          Post Office in the 1970's, for research and use for scanning
          documents. The NBS (now NIST) created leading computer scanning
          technology for important applications such as the National Census.

          This is not trivial history. The 10-year Census is mandated by the US
          Constitution, but needs new technology to keep up with the volume of
          work and documents. The NBS led the way in rapid scanning methods and
          use of computers; resulting technology was used by business for
          similar record-keeping.

          I'm still researching how this PDP-11 was used to scan documents in
          the 70's. But my survey of DEC documents and papertapes which came
          with this system, suggest to me that MAY we have a COMPLETE 11/20
          software development and maintenance system of the early 1970's. I
          still need to discuss the contents with the donor. Again, the goal is
          an exhibit of how small computers like this were used to develop
          applications in 1970 - years before the first personal computers were
          in production. It's particularly interesting as what we have is PAPER
          TAPE based - appropriate for 1970 and likely VERY alien to most people
          today.

          I do not know if we can also protray the actual use of this particular
          machine, as no documents, software, or hardware was provided specific
          to those developments.

          The Web site's home page now includes a first pass at identifying
          documents and paper tapes. There are several photos of these items by
          kind. The items are listed on the project home page at:

          http://www.retrotec hnology.com/ pdp11/

          To give others an idea of the time investment on inventoring such
          items and to make the result accessable, here's a rough rundown of my
          time.

          About four hours solid of photography, listing books, papertapes - and
          the list is complete but not fully detailed; about three hours to
          enter the notes onto my Web page; a few hours to cut and sizeand
          identify two dozen photos; hours of Web searching for background
          information; and an hour to rough out and edit the Web page.

          All that, for about six boxes of stuff and one computer. And, this
          only amounts to a "here's what we have", a very little history about
          the computer, and NOTHING about use. Inventory by itself is not a
          small task, if it's to be complete and on-line even as text.

          Herb Johnson

          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
          http://www.retrotec hnology.com/ herbs_stuff/ web site
          http://www.retrotec hnology.net/ herbs_stuff/ domain mirror

          No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.487 / Virus Database: 269.13.25/1018 - Release Date: 9/19/2007 3:59 PM
        • jack99rubin
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 22, 2007

            > I'm still documenting the system, first of all. Second, my initial
            > understanding is that this system was used by the DEVELOPERS at NBS
            > who developed some of those scanning systems used by the Census
            > Bureau. Many computers were used of course by the Census Bureau, at
            > many locations - I've read as much. As for the Dr. Dobb's article, I'd
            > appreciate a specific reference so I could look it up.
            >
            > Herb Johnson

            I may have missed a reference in the earlier posts, but since this
            equipment was donated directly by the original user, I would set a high
            priority on getting a full description of how the system was chosen,
            configured and used from the donor. In addition, an oral history might
            make an interesting addition to the exhibit.

            Context is what makes this machine so interesting, so don't miss the
            opportunity to get information directly from the donor. Since he states
            that he wanted to find a good home for the system, I expect he might be
            very interested in the development of the exhibit and a link to Herb's
            work-in-progress website.

            Jack
          • Bob Applegate
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 24, 2007
              Hi Herb,

              Sorry for not getting the Dr Dobb's reference sooner... I couldn't figure out which issue it was in until I happened to be
              looking at some corrections to the PATB code in the June/July 1976 issue, page 34.  After looking at the short
              article again, there really isn't any computer focus at all, just "if you have any suggestions, send them to...".
              Not much of interest after all.

              Bob

              > > I was reading a Dr Dobb's the other night from 79 or 80 that had
              a little side bar article discussing the
              > > census and telling the readers to write to the census bureau with
              suggestions for how to do it better,
              > > faster, more accurately, etc. Ie, design the microcomputer based
              system (!) that would replace the

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 1, 2007
                On Sunday, Sept 30th, I visited InfoAge to take more photos and to
                examine the PDP 11/20 system. I'll have an account of the boards in
                the "box" later on my Web page. It appears to have the CPU cards and
                some memory and serial port. I may have been the first inside the box
                in 30 years! The cards were not disturbed otherwise.

                I also looked at the two PDP-11's which are in very small cabinets.
                They are 11/05's, not 11/10's as I previously suggested. I have photos
                of those.

                I'll announce when the PDP Web page is updated.

                Herb Johnson

                Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
              • Evan
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 1, 2007
                  We also have an 11/40.
                • Herb Johnson
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 2, 2007
                    "Herb Johnson" <herbjohnson@...> wrote:

                    > On Sunday, Sept 30th, I visited InfoAge to take more photos and to
                    > examine the PDP 11/20 system.

                    I've added the photos to the Web page at

                    http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                    ..as "interior photos".

                    If someone would care to identify the cards in the 11/20, I've listed
                    all the modules and keyed that list to the photo of the cards. Let me
                    know if you are going to do this. You can simply send a list of
                    modules and description, and I'll add it to the page with your name!

                    Also there are photos of two 11/05's at our facilities.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 2, 2007
                      At 11:00 PM 10/2/2007 +0000, you wrote:
                      > "Herb Johnson" <herbjohnson@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > On Sunday, Sept 30th, I visited InfoAge to take more photos and to
                      > > examine the PDP 11/20 system.
                      >
                      >I've added the photos to the Web page at
                      >
                      >http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/
                      >
                      >..as "interior photos".
                      >
                      >If someone would care to identify the cards in the 11/20, I've listed
                      >all the modules and keyed that list to the photo of the cards. Let me
                      >know if you are going to do this. You can simply send a list of
                      >modules and description, and I'll add it to the page with your name!
                      >
                      >Also there are photos of two 11/05's at our facilities.
                      >
                      >Herb Johnson

                      Herb,
                      That's a wonderful web page, thanks for the details. I learn a lot from
                      your web site.
                      Bill
                    • Herb Johnson
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 16, 2007
                        I have word today from the person who provided the PDP 11/20. He will
                        gather and send me additional documents and photos. He says "it will
                        take some time". That's all I know, he simply acknowledged my request
                        as I asked.

                        Herb Johnson
                        retrotechnology.com