Re: [midatlanticretro] MARCH PDP-11 exhibit, project update

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 20, 2007
      I was reading a Dr Dobb's the other night from 79 or 80 that had a little side bar article discussing the
      census and telling the readers to write to the census bureau with suggestions for how to do it better,
      faster, more accurately, etc.  Ie, design the microcomputer based system (!) that would replace the
      machine Herb just documented.

      Bob

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 20, 2007
        First impression is great.

        Something which I don't think has been proposed yet is that anything that is
        computing+old+excellent (+exists) might be the best choice for a permanent
        display. 'Excellent' being the new proposal. Bill Degnan for one has shown
        how a complete display:
        hardware,software,documentation,advertising,demonstrations,history
        can relate the full story of a thing and further what a little graphic
        design ability can do to make something a communicable lesson for just about
        any museum goer.

        [on paper tape
        many/all 11/20's had core memory which may have given the ability
        to require loading the program only once -- persistent memory.]

        [on DEC
        DEC was really dominant from 1970 to 1990. That means that
        any workers in IT aged 40 to 85 today will probably get a kick
        out of seeing some.]

        [the last owner
        Be sure to ask for a login/password. Nothing more frustruating
        than owning a complete but locked system. I can hack NT and
        VMS but not RTE. Distant memory of hacking RSX]

        http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/ :
        "J.Allain has also contacted me and wants to work with MARCH's DEC
        equipment."
        Yup.

        John Allain

        define
        excellence :== a complete, clean, display
        a complete display :==
        hardware,software,documentation,advertising,demonstrations,history

        .enable quiet
      • William Donzelli
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 20, 2007
          > I was reading a Dr Dobb's the other night from 79 or 80 that had a little side bar article discussing the
          > census and telling the readers to write to the census bureau with suggestions for how to do it better,
          > faster, more accurately, etc. Ie, design the microcomputer based system (!) that would replace the
          > machine Herb just documented.

          I would think it unreasonable to think that Census Bureau had only
          that one little PDP-11/20 at the time...

          --
          Will
        • William Donzelli
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 20, 2007
            > First impression is great.
            >
            > Something which I don't think has been proposed yet is that anything that is
            > computing+old+excellent (+exists) might be the best choice for a permanent
            > display. 'Excellent' being the new proposal. Bill Degnan for one has shown
            > how a complete display:
            > hardware,software,documentation,advertising,demonstrations,history
            > can relate the full story of a thing and further what a little graphic
            > design ability can do to make something a communicable lesson for just about
            > any museum goer.

            and

            > define
            > excellence :== a complete, clean, display
            > a complete display :==
            > hardware,software,documentation,advertising,demonstrations,history

            I would like to commend John for saying one of the smartest things I
            have seen about MARCH. He seems to have his head screwed on straight.

            It would be very beneficial to MARCH to get some focus - and this is a
            great way to do it. Come up with an idea for an exhibit that the group
            can relate to, and work on getting a presentable display up. Do not be
            distracted by unrelated transient projects. Be thorough, doing a
            professional job - and the exhibit will shine.

            For example, work the PDP-11/20 exhibit, as others have mentioned (and
            Herb more or less doing already), and really make it great. Dump the
            other DEC stuff, like the VAX-11/750 (well, sell it). It is just a
            distraction that takes up space, is not very pretty, and will suck
            away valuable time from the PDP-11/20. When the PDP-11/20 exhibit has
            taken shape, then move on to another, pehaps also DEC. Stick to the
            real top-shelf gems, like the PDP-11/20.

            I know I may sound like a thorn in MARCHs side, but remember that I
            have been thru this game before (RCS, anyone? RICM? I could also name
            some other non-computer related groups that I saw fizzle out). A few
            excellent exhibits ALWAYS beats a pile of half-assed ones. Being too
            informal is the leading cause of death with small independent museums.

            Oh, and I am still waiting for an answer to my previous question about
            a collection policy and charter for MARCH. John's suggestion pokes at
            the core of the issue.

            --
            Will
          • Bob Applegate
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 20, 2007
              William Donzelli <wdonzelli@...> wrote :

              > > I was reading a Dr Dobb's the other night from 79 or 80 that had a little side bar article discussing the
              > > census and telling the readers to write to the census bureau with suggestions for how to do it better,
              > > faster, more accurately, etc. Ie, design the microcomputer based system (!) that would replace the
              > > machine Herb just documented.
              >
              > I would think it unreasonable to think that Census Bureau had only
              > that one little PDP-11/20 at the time...

              True, but it sounds like it was part of a development system. 10 years later
              they wanted to replace older generation systems with newer ideas. There's no way
              a microcomputer then (or even now) would be able to do the complete census, but
              it does show a change in technology. Old development machines being replaced
              with newer development machines, neither of which ran the actual census data
              but might have been used to prove out algorithms or run reports on subsets of
              data extracted from mainframe(s).

              Bob

              ___________________________________
              NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
            • Herb Johnson
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 21, 2007

                > > I was reading a Dr Dobb's the other night from 79 or 80 that had
                a little side bar article discussing the
                > > census and telling the readers to write to the census bureau with
                suggestions for how to do it better,
                > > faster, more accurately, etc. Ie, design the microcomputer based
                system (!) that would replace the
                > > machine Herb just documented.

                > "William Donzelli" <wdonzelli@...> wrote:

                > I would think it unreasonable to think that Census Bureau had only
                > that one little PDP-11/20 at the time...

                I'm still documenting the system, first of all. Second, my initial
                understanding is that this system was used by the DEVELOPERS at NBS
                who developed some of those scanning systems used by the Census
                Bureau. Many computers were used of course by the Census Bureau, at
                many locations - I've read as much. As for the Dr. Dobb's article, I'd
                appreciate a specific reference so I could look it up.

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 21, 2007
                  Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:

                  > William Donzelli <wdonzelli@...> wrote :
                  >
                  > > I would think it unreasonable to think that Census Bureau had only
                  > > that one little PDP-11/20 at the time...
                  >
                  > True, but it sounds like it was part of a development system. 10
                  years later
                  > they wanted to replace older generation systems with newer ideas.
                  There's no way
                  > a microcomputer then (or even now) would be able to do the complete
                  census, but
                  > it does show a change in technology. Old development machines being
                  replaced
                  > with newer development machines, neither of which ran the actual
                  census data
                  > but might have been used to prove out algorithms or run reports on
                  subsets of
                  > data extracted from mainframe(s).
                  >
                  > Bob

                  I'm glad there is interest in the Census Bureau's work. That may
                  become part of the exhibit, we'll see how it pans out but that's
                  within my evolving plan.

                  What I've found so far on the Web about the work of the Census Bureau,
                  is that a core problem was the sheer VOLUME of incoming data, which at
                  the collection level was on paper forms. The NBS developed computing
                  systems and methods to scan huge volumes of paper documents. As volume
                  grew, faster and newer equipment was developed to keep up. Apparently
                  NBS did this research for the Census, and later for the Postal
                  Service, using PDP-11 systems including the one donated to us.

                  At this time, MARCH has a computer, and DEC-supplied documents and
                  paper tape software which DEC included for maintaining the computer
                  and for writing programs in BASIC or assembler. No programs, hardware,
                  or documents about ACTUAL USE so far are in MARCH's possession to my
                  knowledge, and I think I've seen what we have. REVIEW MY WEB PAGE for
                  details and as I update that page.

                  I have some Web links on "my" PDP-11 page about computers and the
                  Census. If others find other Web links or documents which are useful,
                  please give me SPECIFIC REFERENCES so I can add those links or
                  references as well. Thank you.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 21, 2007
                    > "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:

                    > > First impression is great.
                    > >
                    > > Something which I don't think has been proposed yet is that
                    anything that is
                    > > computing+old+excellent (+exists) might be the best choice for a
                    permanent
                    > > display. 'Excellent' being the new proposal. Bill Degnan for
                    one has shown
                    > > how a complete display:
                    > > hardware,software,documentation,advertising,demonstrations,history
                    > > can relate the full story of a thing and further what a little
                    graphic
                    > > design ability can do to make something a communicable lesson for
                    just about
                    > > any museum goer.
                    >
                    > and
                    >
                    > > define
                    > > excellence :== a complete, clean, display
                    > > a complete display :==

                    hardware,software,documentation,advertising,demonstrations,history

                    "William Donzelli" <wdonzelli@...> wrote:
                    > I would like to commend John for saying one of the smartest things I
                    > have seen about MARCH. He seems to have his head screwed on straight.
                    >
                    > It would be very beneficial to MARCH to get some focus - and this is a
                    > great way to do it. Come up with an idea for an exhibit that the group
                    > can relate to, and work on getting a presentable display up. Do not be
                    > distracted by unrelated transient projects. Be thorough, doing a
                    > professional job - and the exhibit will shine.

                    I spent considerable time today, in trying to decide if I should argue
                    with you two above, or simply tell you both not to use my project and
                    discussion thread to discuss MARCH policy. For now, I'm not going to
                    argue.

                    This thread, and others similarly titled, will be about work on the
                    11/20 exhibit and its contents and artifacts. I am NOT discussing
                    MARCH policy on exhibits or on its inventory. I do not consider my
                    project, as a prototype for others or as setting any standard other
                    than one based on RESULTS. Policy is simply outside the scope of my
                    responsibilities.

                    And discussions of a final display scheme are premature. I saw little
                    otherwise in your posts which were specific to what I've done. What
                    I've done is accessable on a Web page as noted. I welcome the other
                    posts which discuss that content and I'll try to put some of that on
                    that page. Of course any information, Web links, resources and so on
                    will be appreciated and added when relevant. I'm glad this project has
                    some interest.

                    Please take your policy discussions to another thread; I am not saying
                    you can't post such discussions as I have no right to do that. But I
                    think I can moderate a discussion about work I am doing for MARCH.
                    It's fair to exclude other discusions outside the scope of that work,
                    so I can focus on the work I've offered to do.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 21, 2007
                      >>> I am NOT discussing MARCH policy on exhibits or on its inventory.

                      I don't see that anyone is trying to argue or has anything other than
                      MARCH's best interests in mind. A little thread-drift is a natural thing.
                      Just ask Jay West. :)

                      Anyway, comments re: MARCH policy are clearly (and deservedly!) meant for
                      me, not you, Herb. So please don't take any of that personally...

                      To everyone: in an upcoming email, I will address the questions about our
                      mission etc. For now let's please keep the PDP thread to the PDP
                      exhibit...

                      However the one thing I will say now (yes this is drift) is just to repeat
                      what I said a few weeks ago, i.e., I fully support having some stand-alone
                      "best of MARCH" exhibits simultaneous to the planning and construction of
                      our long-term themed exhibits. So let it be said, so let it be done...!

                      And now back to our regular discussion about the 11/20. Herb, the floor
                      is yours.
                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 22, 2007
                        Herb,

                        This looks to be a very interesting exhibit.
                        I'll look forward to this when I visit there.
                        Keep up the great work !

                        =Dan
                        [ "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them"     ]
                        [ Pittsburgh ----http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]

                        Herb Johnson wrote:

[...]

                        No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.487 / Virus Database: 269.13.25/1018 - Release Date: 9/19/2007 3:59 PM
                      • jack99rubin
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 22, 2007

                          > I'm still documenting the system, first of all. Second, my initial
                          > understanding is that this system was used by the DEVELOPERS at NBS
                          > who developed some of those scanning systems used by the Census
                          > Bureau. Many computers were used of course by the Census Bureau, at
                          > many locations - I've read as much. As for the Dr. Dobb's article, I'd
                          > appreciate a specific reference so I could look it up.
                          >
                          > Herb Johnson

                          I may have missed a reference in the earlier posts, but since this
                          equipment was donated directly by the original user, I would set a high
                          priority on getting a full description of how the system was chosen,
                          configured and used from the donor. In addition, an oral history might
                          make an interesting addition to the exhibit.

                          Context is what makes this machine so interesting, so don't miss the
                          opportunity to get information directly from the donor. Since he states
                          that he wanted to find a good home for the system, I expect he might be
                          very interested in the development of the exhibit and a link to Herb's
                          work-in-progress website.

                          Jack
                        • Bob Applegate
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 24, 2007
                            Hi Herb,

                            Sorry for not getting the Dr Dobb's reference sooner... I couldn't figure out which issue it was in until I happened to be
                            looking at some corrections to the PATB code in the June/July 1976 issue, page 34.  After looking at the short
                            article again, there really isn't any computer focus at all, just "if you have any suggestions, send them to...".
                            Not much of interest after all.

                            Bob

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 1, 2007
                              On Sunday, Sept 30th, I visited InfoAge to take more photos and to
                              examine the PDP 11/20 system. I'll have an account of the boards in
                              the "box" later on my Web page. It appears to have the CPU cards and
                              some memory and serial port. I may have been the first inside the box
                              in 30 years! The cards were not disturbed otherwise.

                              I also looked at the two PDP-11's which are in very small cabinets.
                              They are 11/05's, not 11/10's as I previously suggested. I have photos
                              of those.

                              I'll announce when the PDP Web page is updated.

                              Herb Johnson

                              Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                            • Evan
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 1, 2007
                                We also have an 11/40.
                              • Herb Johnson
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 2, 2007
                                  "Herb Johnson" <herbjohnson@...> wrote:

                                  > On Sunday, Sept 30th, I visited InfoAge to take more photos and to
                                  > examine the PDP 11/20 system.

                                  I've added the photos to the Web page at

                                  http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                                  ..as "interior photos".

                                  If someone would care to identify the cards in the 11/20, I've listed
                                  all the modules and keyed that list to the photo of the cards. Let me
                                  know if you are going to do this. You can simply send a list of
                                  modules and description, and I'll add it to the page with your name!

                                  Also there are photos of two 11/05's at our facilities.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 2, 2007
                                    At 11:00 PM 10/2/2007 +0000, you wrote:
                                    > "Herb Johnson" <herbjohnson@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > On Sunday, Sept 30th, I visited InfoAge to take more photos and to
                                    > > examine the PDP 11/20 system.
                                    >
                                    >I've added the photos to the Web page at
                                    >
                                    >http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/
                                    >
                                    >..as "interior photos".
                                    >
                                    >If someone would care to identify the cards in the 11/20, I've listed
                                    >all the modules and keyed that list to the photo of the cards. Let me
                                    >know if you are going to do this. You can simply send a list of
                                    >modules and description, and I'll add it to the page with your name!
                                    >
                                    >Also there are photos of two 11/05's at our facilities.
                                    >
                                    >Herb Johnson

                                    Herb,
                                    That's a wonderful web page, thanks for the details. I learn a lot from
                                    your web site.
                                    Bill
                                  • Herb Johnson
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 16, 2007
                                      I have word today from the person who provided the PDP 11/20. He will
                                      gather and send me additional documents and photos. He says "it will
                                      take some time". That's all I know, he simply acknowledged my request
                                      as I asked.

                                      Herb Johnson
                                      retrotechnology.com