Progress Update: U of D CISC/CPEG-367

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 17, 2007
      Howdy from the U of Delaware.

      Class has been a lot of fun, albeit a lot of work too.

      To give you an idea where we are presently, the following were the required readings for today's discussion:

      Hackers by Steven Levy chapter 8

      Computer Lib 1974 Theodor H. Nelson
      - Fandom pg 3
      -Where it's At pg 5
      -Should Individuals Fear IBM? pg 55
      -The Computer Fan's Computer Company: DEC The PDPeople pg 57

      Dream Machines 1974 Theodor H. Nelson
      -A Basic Hypertext System pg 47
      -Nelson's Canons - A Bill of Information Rights pg 58

      Byte September 1975 What is Byte? The First Editorial

      Following this discussion the students were split into groups and each group received a real vintage computer for their project work:

      1.  TRS 80 Model 4
      2.  Sinclair 1000
      3.  Kaypro 4
      4.  Apple ][ plus
      5.  Apple ][ e
      6.  TI Business Pro PC
      7.  Commodore 64

      Drawing from the knowledge gained from the course, students will be expected to research their assigned computer system and make an attempt to restore it to full functionality.  Each team will be required to demonstrate their microcomputer system to the class at the end of the semester.

      Safety First
      Identification
      Using manuals and schematics
      Inspection and diagnostics
      Cleaning hardware
      Use of oscilloscope and multi-meter (when applicable)
      System configuration
      Software archival
      Testing

      Grades will be based on the team�s ability to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the assigned system, addressing each of the topics above.  It is not necessary for the computer system to be fully functional as long as the students can correctly explain why it is not.

      I am pleased to announce that Herb Johnson will be a guest lecturer on 10/15 (History of CP/M) and Evan Koblentz will be a guest lecturer on 10/17 (Portables and Handhelds)

      Bill Degnan
    • jack99rubin
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 18, 2007

        > Class has been a lot of fun, albeit a lot of work too.

        no surprise there!

        > Following this discussion the students were split into groups and
        each
        > group received a real vintage computer for their project work:
        >
        > 1. TRS 80 Model 4
        > 2. Sinclair 1000
        > 3. Kaypro 4
        > 4. Apple ][ plus
        > 5. Apple ][ e
        > 6. TI Business Pro PC
        > 7. Commodore 64

        reminds me of some auto repair courses where the students repair
        vintage cars for resale - could be the start of a new Degnan business
        empire - computer restoration as a cottage industry - very cool!

        Jack