RE: [midatlanticretro] Lurkers? We have lurkers?

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2005
      Agreed, but let's say there are 20 lurkers, that still leaves a few dozen other people.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 11, 2005
        OK I'll stop Lurking.

        Howard Marks from beautiful Hoboken. I was in charge
        of all Floppy creation and printing for Lifeboat
        Assocaites in 1980 and 1981 so lots of that CP/M
        software you have came through my hands.

        My vintage System is an Ithica Intersystems (last
        S-100 with front panel) Z-80 w/North Star floppies.

        __________________________________
        Discover Yahoo!
        http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 11, 2005
          Howard,

          Welcome.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 12, 2005
            Hi, Howard, and welcome to our group.

            I lived In Hoboken (at Second and Clinton) until last fall.

              - Evan

            --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

            > Evan,
            >
            > I'll
            bet you a dozen doughnuts that several list
            > members are not from
            the
            > mid-atlantic region. Is Connecticut in the
            > mid-atlantic? I'm
            not sure. I'll
            > also bet that some list members have no
            collection
            > at all and have no real
            > desire to start one, but they
            are interested in
            > these old computers. Being a
            > voyeur can be fun
            - sometimes. Last there are one or
            > two who joined by
            > mistake and
            can't figure out how to stop these
            > infernal messages.

            Jim

            wrote:
            > > Hello MARCH'rs.
            > >
            > > Here are some
            random things...

            > > - Somehow our Yahoo group is now 76
            people.  About
            > 15-20 of us are
            > > known entities.
            LOL, so who the heck are the rest
            > of you?  Please
            > > come
            out of hibernation and tell us who you are.
            > We're interested in
            > > (for starters) your name, what you collect, where
            > you're from in
            the
            > > mid-Atlantic region, how old you are, and how you
            > heard
            about us.
            > > Feel free to share more.  :)
            > >
            > > - John Allain is working on our permanent web
            > site.  Update to
            come.

            > > - The date for VCF Midwest 1.0 is changed.
            > Originally it was July 16,
            > > and now it's July 30, at Purdue
            University in West
            > Lafayette, Indiana.
            > >  I'd like to go
            but can't afford the airfare right
            > now.  I suppose

            it's possible for two or more people to carpool
            > out there.  Anyone?
            > > See
            href="http://computer-refuge.org/vcfmw/">http://computer-refuge.org/vcfmw/ for more
            > details.
            > >
            > > - Another event in our area
            is Warpstock 2005
            > (OS/2), Oct. 6-9, 2005,
            > > in Hershey,
            Pennsylvania.  That will be less
            > vintage and more just old
            > > stuff.  :)   Mark Dodel, the show's organizer, is

            among our ranks here
            > > in MARCH.

            href="http://www.warpstock.org/press/2005/050505.html">http://www.warpstock.org/press/2005/050505.html

            > > - Still another related-but-different event is

            Telephone Collectors
            > > International Spring, on June 17-19, 2005,
            in
            > Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
            > >  (I'm not interested in
            this one, but could see
            > how others might be.)

            href="http://www.telephonecollectors.org/events/events.htm">http://www.telephonecollectors.org/events/events.htm

            > > - Commentary on the concept of a club museum at
            > the
            InfoAge center
            > > (Jersey shore) has quieted... I'm still unsure
            of
            > whether we should,
            > > or could, make this commitment.
            In theory, the
            > actual "commitment" is
            > > minimal; the InfoAge
            folks would appreciate
            > whatever we can do.  On
            > > the
            other hand, it might be lame of us to do
            > anything half-assed.
            For
            > > now, please keep thinking about it; I'll send
            > another
            message when I
            > > hear back from InfoAge about the status of
            the
            > large collection
            > > they're inheriting.  (Initially,
            we could use
            > their space as storage
            > > for our bigger
            collections, and as a nice spot for
            > club swapmeets,
            > > etc. --
            it's a huge, park-like campus where club
            > events could include
            > > frisbee, setting off model rockets, and nearly
            > anything
            else.)

            > > - This weekend (Sat., June 4), the Edison
            National
            > Historic Site (West
            > > Orange, NJ) will be open to
            the public.  It's been
            > closed for a few
            > > years for
            renovation, and won't be open for real
            > until next year I

            think.  Since I live just 20 minutes away, I'm
            > definitely going.
            > > Anyone else interested?  (This is where Edison had

            his industrial lab
            > > and mansion, after becoming famous.  It's
            not
            > where he actually made
            > > the incandescent light bulb and
            phonograph --
            > that's about 30 minutes
            > > further south in the
            town of (surprise!) Edison.
            > That town has a much
            > > smaller
            and lamer museum.  I know because I grew
            > up there and they
            > > made us go every year in school!
            > >
            > > - Sometime in
            June or July, I might take a trip to
            > the Maryland / DC /

            Virginia region.  I'd like to see the museums down
            > there.  I
            went to
            > > the American history museum, the air-and-space

            museum, etc. as a
            > > child, but this will be an all-geek trip.
            > Specifically, I'd like to
            > > visit the computer section of
            the Smithsonian, the
            > Historical
            > > Electronics Museum, the
            National Cryptologic
            > Museum, and (maybe) the
            > > University of
            Virginia Computer Museum (which I
            > hear is just a few

            display cases in a hallway, and kind of far from
            > the DC area).
            So
            > > this is an open invitation to our members down
            > there --
            anybody want
            > > to join me for a little field trip?  What else
            in
            > that area should we see?
            > >
            > > - As always, I
            encourage everyone to share ideas
            > for what MARCH should

            do.  Share 'em with me or with the whole list.

            --- Evan Koblentz, your friendly moderator.

            __________________________________
            Discover Yahoo!
            http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
          • Bob Grieb
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 13, 2005
              Howard,

              I am a fellow lurker. Had to jump in to
              mention that I had an Ithaca Intersystems Z80
              board and an S-100 backplane in the late 70's, mainly
              because the company was founded by one of my classmates
              and was where one of my best friends from college
              worked. I remember something about "power-on jump
              to any 4K boundary above 32K" as being a cool feature.
              Whoohoo! I built an interface to an ASCII keyboard for it, but
              never had a monitor/terminal, just a two-digit LED
              display that I could write to. I bought a Cromemco
              S-100 DRAM board at a flea market, but never got it
              going as a bunch of parts (PALS) were missing, and the
              cost from Cromemco didn't make sense.

              I currently live (lurk) outside of Philly.

              Bob

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Dan
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 13, 2005
                Hi,

                I guess I'm a lurker too, though I've posted a couple of times here before.
                I'm an ex-Lon' Guylander that wound up in Pittsboigh after a 25 yr journey.
                I collect mostly the 70's stuff between the computers, videogames and toys.
                Plus some more things which I haven't put on my webpage yet.

                Dan

              • Chris M
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 13, 2005
                  where in Long Island Dan? I have a sister somewhat
                  north of you.
                  --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                  <evan947@...> wrote:

                  > > > 15-20 of us are
                  heck are the rest
                  > > > of you?  Please
                  > > > Were interested in
                  > > > youre from in the
                  > > > heard about us.

                  === Message Truncated ===

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Dan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 13, 2005
                    Hi Chris,

                    I grew up in Elmont, not to far from the Belmont track.
                    That's where I was seduced into the world of home computers back in '74
                    There was a hobby shop somewhere out by Farmingdale along Hempstead tnpk.
                    The name eludes me at the moment.
                    They had a home computer section where I drooled over the
                    ALTAIRs and IMSAIs, among other things.

                    Dan