Re: [midatlanticretro] question about tantalum capacitors

  • Bob Grieb
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 11, 2007
      Bill,

      mfd is the same as uF. In general, uF is the preferred way
      to write it these days. Also, pF is the same as picofarad.
      I've never seen pfd. Polarity is super important with tantalum and
      also aluminum electrolytic caps. They can explode if installed
      backwards. (Lots of fun!) Make sure that the voltage across
      C16 is less that 35V. At least 5V of margin might be a good idea.
      If the old cap is cylindrical, it may be an aluminum electrolytic.
      Even so, a tantalum should be a suitable replacement for it.

      Bob Grieb