Lurkers? We have lurkers?

    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2005
      Evan,

      I'll bet you a dozen doughnuts that several list members are not from the
      mid-atlantic region. Is Connecticut in the mid-atlantic? I'm not sure. I'll
      also bet that some list members have no collection at all and have no real
      desire to start one, but they are interested in these old computers. Being a
      voyeur can be fun - sometimes. Last there are one or two who joined by
      mistake and can't figure out how to stop these infernal messages.

      Jim

    • Evan
      Message 2 of 9 , May 31, 2005
        Agreed, but let's say there are 20 lurkers, that still leaves a few dozen other people.

        I'll bet you a dozen doughnuts that several list members are not from the
        mid-atlantic region. Is Connecticut in the mid-atlantic? I'm not sure. I'll
        also bet that some list members have no collection at all and have no real
        desire to start one, but they are interested in these old computers. Being a
        voyeur can be fun - sometimes. Last there are one or two who joined by
        mistake and can't figure out how to stop these infernal messages.

        Jim

        --- Evan Koblentz <evan947@...> wrote:
        > Hello MARCH'rs.
        >
        > Here
        are some random things...

        > - Somehow our Yahoo group is now 76
        people.  About 15-20 of us are
        > known entities.  LOL, so who
        the heck are the rest of you?  Please
        > come out of hibernation and
        tell us who you are.  We're interested in
        > (for starters) your name,
        what you collect, where you're from in the
        > mid-Atlantic region, how old
        you are, and how you heard about us.
        > Feel free to share more.
        :)

        href="http://computer-refuge.org/vcfmw/">http://computer-refuge.org/vcfmw/ for more details.

        href="http://www.warpstock.org/press/2005/050505.html">http://www.warpstock.org/press/2005/050505.html

        href="http://www.telephonecollectors.org/events/events.htm">http://www.telephonecollectors.org/events/events.htm

        > - Commentary on the concept of a club museum at the InfoAge
        center
        > (Jersey shore) has quieted... I'm still unsure of whether we
        should,
        > or could, make this commitment.  In theory, the actual
        "commitment" is
        > minimal; the InfoAge folks would appreciate whatever we
        can do.  On
        > the other hand, it might be lame of us to do anything
        half-assed.  For
        > now, please keep thinking about it; I'll send
        another message when I
        > hear back from InfoAge about the status of the
        large collection
        > they're inheriting.  (Initially, we could use
        their space as storage
        > for our bigger collections, and as a nice spot
        for club swapmeets,
        > etc. -- it's a huge, park-like campus where club
        events could include
        > frisbee, setting off model rockets, and nearly
        anything else.)

        > - This weekend (Sat., June 4), the Edison
        National Historic Site (West
        > Orange, NJ) will be open to the
        public.  It's been closed for a few
        > years for renovation, and won't
        be open for real until next year I
        > think.  Since I live just 20
        minutes away, I'm definitely going.
        > Anyone else interested?  (This
        is where Edison had his industrial lab
        > and mansion, after becoming
        famous.  It's not where he actually made
        > the incandescent light
        bulb and phonograph -- that's about 30 minutes
        > further south in the town
        of (surprise!) Edison.  That town has a much
        > smaller and lamer
        museum.  I know because I grew up there and they
        > made us go every
        year in school!

        > - Sometime in June or July, I might take a trip
        to the Maryland / DC /
        > Virginia region.  I'd like to see the
        museums down there.  I went to
        > the American history museum, the
        air-and-space museum, etc. as a
        > child, but this will be an all-geek
        trip.  Specifically, I'd like to
        > visit the computer section of the
        Smithsonian, the Historical
        > Electronics Museum, the National Cryptologic
        Museum, and (maybe) the
        > University of Virginia Computer Museum (which I
        hear is just a few
        > display cases in a hallway, and kind of far from the
        DC area).  So
        > this is an open invitation to our members down there
        -- anybody want
        > to join me for a little field trip?  What else in
        that area should we see?

        > - As always, I encourage everyone to
        share ideas for what MARCH should
        > do.  Share 'em with me or with
        the whole list.

        > --- Evan Koblentz, your friendly
        moderator.

      • Howard Marks
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 11, 2005
          OK I'll stop Lurking.

          Howard Marks from beautiful Hoboken. I was in charge
          of all Floppy creation and printing for Lifeboat
          Assocaites in 1980 and 1981 so lots of that CP/M
          software you have came through my hands.

          My vintage System is an Ithica Intersystems (last
          S-100 with front panel) Z-80 w/North Star floppies.

          __________________________________
          Discover Yahoo!
          http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 11, 2005
            Howard,

            Welcome.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 12, 2005
              Hi, Howard, and welcome to our group.

              I lived In Hoboken (at Second and Clinton) until last fall.

                - Evan

              --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

              > Evan,
              >
              > I'll
              bet you a dozen doughnuts that several list
              > members are not from
              the
              > mid-atlantic region. Is Connecticut in the
              > mid-atlantic? I'm
              not sure. I'll
              > also bet that some list members have no
              collection
              > at all and have no real
              > desire to start one, but they
              are interested in
              > these old computers. Being a
              > voyeur can be fun
              - sometimes. Last there are one or
              > two who joined by
              > mistake and
              can't figure out how to stop these
              > infernal messages.

              Jim

              wrote:
              > > Hello MARCH'rs.
              > >
              > > Here are some
              random things...

              > > - Somehow our Yahoo group is now 76
              people.  About
              > 15-20 of us are
              > > known entities.
              LOL, so who the heck are the rest
              > of you?  Please
              > > come
              out of hibernation and tell us who you are.
              > We're interested in
              > > (for starters) your name, what you collect, where
              > you're from in
              the
              > > mid-Atlantic region, how old you are, and how you
              > heard
              about us.
              > > Feel free to share more.  :)
              > >
              > > - John Allain is working on our permanent web
              > site.  Update to
              come.

              > > - The date for VCF Midwest 1.0 is changed.
              > Originally it was July 16,
              > > and now it's July 30, at Purdue
              University in West
              > Lafayette, Indiana.
              > >  I'd like to go
              but can't afford the airfare right
              > now.  I suppose

              it's possible for two or more people to carpool
              > out there.  Anyone?
              > > See
              href="http://computer-refuge.org/vcfmw/">http://computer-refuge.org/vcfmw/ for more
              > details.
              > >
              > > - Another event in our area
              is Warpstock 2005
              > (OS/2), Oct. 6-9, 2005,
              > > in Hershey,
              Pennsylvania.  That will be less
              > vintage and more just old
              > > stuff.  :)   Mark Dodel, the show's organizer, is

              among our ranks here
              > > in MARCH.

              href="http://www.warpstock.org/press/2005/050505.html">http://www.warpstock.org/press/2005/050505.html

              > > - Still another related-but-different event is

              Telephone Collectors
              > > International Spring, on June 17-19, 2005,
              in
              > Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
              > >  (I'm not interested in
              this one, but could see
              > how others might be.)

              href="http://www.telephonecollectors.org/events/events.htm">http://www.telephonecollectors.org/events/events.htm

              > > - Commentary on the concept of a club museum at
              > the
              InfoAge center
              > > (Jersey shore) has quieted... I'm still unsure
              of
              > whether we should,
              > > or could, make this commitment.
              In theory, the
              > actual "commitment" is
              > > minimal; the InfoAge
              folks would appreciate
              > whatever we can do.  On
              > > the
              other hand, it might be lame of us to do
              > anything half-assed.
              For
              > > now, please keep thinking about it; I'll send
              > another
              message when I
              > > hear back from InfoAge about the status of
              the
              > large collection
              > > they're inheriting.  (Initially,
              we could use
              > their space as storage
              > > for our bigger
              collections, and as a nice spot for
              > club swapmeets,
              > > etc. --
              it's a huge, park-like campus where club
              > events could include
              > > frisbee, setting off model rockets, and nearly
              > anything
              else.)

              > > - This weekend (Sat., June 4), the Edison
              National
              > Historic Site (West
              > > Orange, NJ) will be open to
              the public.  It's been
              > closed for a few
              > > years for
              renovation, and won't be open for real
              > until next year I

              think.  Since I live just 20 minutes away, I'm
              > definitely going.
              > > Anyone else interested?  (This is where Edison had

              his industrial lab
              > > and mansion, after becoming famous.  It's
              not
              > where he actually made
              > > the incandescent light bulb and
              phonograph --
              > that's about 30 minutes
              > > further south in the
              town of (surprise!) Edison.
              > That town has a much
              > > smaller
              and lamer museum.  I know because I grew
              > up there and they
              > > made us go every year in school!
              > >
              > > - Sometime in
              June or July, I might take a trip to
              > the Maryland / DC /

              Virginia region.  I'd like to see the museums down
              > there.  I
              went to
              > > the American history museum, the air-and-space

              museum, etc. as a
              > > child, but this will be an all-geek trip.
              > Specifically, I'd like to
              > > visit the computer section of
              the Smithsonian, the
              > Historical
              > > Electronics Museum, the
              National Cryptologic
              > Museum, and (maybe) the
              > > University of
              Virginia Computer Museum (which I
              > hear is just a few

              display cases in a hallway, and kind of far from
              > the DC area).
              So
              > > this is an open invitation to our members down
              > there --
              anybody want
              > > to join me for a little field trip?  What else
              in
              > that area should we see?
              > >
              > > - As always, I
              encourage everyone to share ideas
              > for what MARCH should

              do.  Share 'em with me or with the whole list.

              --- Evan Koblentz, your friendly moderator.

              __________________________________
              Discover Yahoo!
              http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html
            • Bob Grieb
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 13, 2005
                Howard,

                I am a fellow lurker. Had to jump in to
                mention that I had an Ithaca Intersystems Z80
                board and an S-100 backplane in the late 70's, mainly
                because the company was founded by one of my classmates
                and was where one of my best friends from college
                worked. I remember something about "power-on jump
                to any 4K boundary above 32K" as being a cool feature.
                Whoohoo! I built an interface to an ASCII keyboard for it, but
                never had a monitor/terminal, just a two-digit LED
                display that I could write to. I bought a Cromemco
                S-100 DRAM board at a flea market, but never got it
                going as a bunch of parts (PALS) were missing, and the
                cost from Cromemco didn't make sense.

                I currently live (lurk) outside of Philly.

                Bob

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Dan
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 13, 2005
                  Hi,

                  I guess I'm a lurker too, though I've posted a couple of times here before.
                  I'm an ex-Lon' Guylander that wound up in Pittsboigh after a 25 yr journey.
                  I collect mostly the 70's stuff between the computers, videogames and toys.
                  Plus some more things which I haven't put on my webpage yet.

                  Dan

                • Chris M
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 13, 2005
                    where in Long Island Dan? I have a sister somewhat
                    north of you.
                    --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                    <evan947@...> wrote:

                    > > > 15-20 of us are
                    > > > of you?  Please
                    > > > Were interested in
                    > > > youre from in the
                    > > > heard about us.

                    === Message Truncated ===

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Dan
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 13, 2005
                      Hi Chris,

                      I grew up in Elmont, not to far from the Belmont track.
                      That's where I was seduced into the world of home computers back in '74
                      There was a hobby shop somewhere out by Farmingdale along Hempstead tnpk.
                      The name eludes me at the moment.
                      They had a home computer section where I drooled over the
                      ALTAIRs and IMSAIs, among other things.

                      Dan