Re: [midatlanticretro] Nice picture from today

  • Jeffrey Frady
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 9, 2007
      Goodmorning!  Link doesn't work.  Good to see kids playing Pac Man.  I remember having to explain Pong to someone when I was in high school.

      Herb was a surprise visitor at the museum today, and he took this picture of three children enjoying Atari 2600 Pacman: http://tinyurl.com/ytffhy ... he also documented the contents of our recent PDP 11/20 acquisition (great stuff in those boxes – lots of software on paper tape and lots of pristine documentation!) … and we fired up our original Macintosh; it gave us the floppy-disk "question mark" logo instead of a "sad Mac" which is a good indication that it can be easily made to demo.  Herb took it home for a cleaning, software test, etc. and will soon return it with the correct keyboard and mouse.

      If we still did a "MARCHin of the Month" award it would be Mr. Johnson!

      Moderator at http://forums.palm.com
    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 10, 2007
        If there ends up being a display of stuff from Franklin (our "east coast" theme), then having a Mac in the exhibit
        would be a good addition too.  There is a hidden chunk of code in the Mac ROM that will display some icon and
        a "Stolen from Apple" message specifically to entrap companies like Franklin if there was ever a court show-down.

        A good read about it:

        I've never actually seen this, but then again, I don't have a Mac.

        Bob

        Herb was a surprise visitor at the museum today, and he took this picture of three children enjoying Atari 2600 Pacman: http://tinyurl. com/ytffhy ... he also documented the contents of our recent PDP 11/20 acquisition (great stuff in those boxes – lots of software on paper tape and lots of pristine documentation! ) … and we fired up our original Macintosh; it gave us the floppy-disk “question mark” logo instead of a “sad Mac” which is a good indication that it can be easily made to demo.  Herb took it home for a cleaning, software test, etc. and will soon return it with the correct keyboard and mouse.

        If we still did a “MARCHin of the Month” award it would be Mr. Johnson!

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 10, 2007
          On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, Jeffrey Frady wrote:

          > Goodmorning! Link doesn't work. Good to see kids playing Pac Man. I
          > remember having to explain Pong to someone when I was in high school.

          Just go directly to the Yahoo group area and look in the files section.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Hex Star
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 10, 2007

            You can find out here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=7748

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 10, 2007
              yes, but what does 041800 mean exactly?  which chip or section is bad?
              Bill

              At 05:34 PM 9/10/2007 -0700, you wrote:

              On 9/10/07, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
              >  Speaking of the early MAC sad face codes - what does it mean if you get the sad MAC with code 041800?

              You can find out here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=7748

            • Herb Johnson
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 11, 2007
                "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                > Herb was a surprise visitor at the museum today, and he took this
                > picture of three children enjoying Atari 2600 Pacman:
                > http://tinyurl.com/ytffhy ...

                ..but members have said the link is broken or incomplete.

                I've put it on my Web site until Evan puts it elsewhere (hint hint):

                http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/MARCH_showNtell.jpg

                The rest of the page has some new notes and photos of the PDP 11/20
                exhibit in progress:

                http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                Evan complimented me for visiting and doing some work for MARCH. I
                appreciate that, but any member can and should stop by our facilities
                and do some work, or help to show our exhibits on Sundays. Talk to Evan.

                Herb JOhnson

                Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 11, 2007

                  Hey, that's a nice photo.
                  Is that one of the new rooms of the museum ?
                  It's looks real spiffy in there.
                  I can't wait to visit !

                  =Dan

                  [ Never put off till tomorrow, What you can do the day after tomorrow         ]
                  [ Pittsburgh ----                     http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]

                  Herb Johnson wrote:

                  "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                  > Herb was a surprise visitor at the museum today, and he took this
                  > picture of three children enjoying Atari 2600 Pacman:
                  > http://tinyurl. com/ytffhy ...

                  ..but members have said the link is broken or incomplete.

                  I've put it on my Web site until Evan puts it elsewhere (hint hint):

                  http://www.retrotec hnology.com/ pdp11/MARCH_ showNtell. jpg

                  The rest of the page has some new notes and photos of the PDP 11/20
                  exhibit in progress:

                  http://www.retrotec hnology.com/ pdp11/

                  Evan complimented me for visiting and doing some work for MARCH. I
                  appreciate that, but any member can and should stop by our facilities
                  and do some work, or help to show our exhibits on Sundays. Talk to Evan.

                  Herb JOhnson

                  Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                  http://www.retrotec hnology.com/ herbs_stuff/ web site
                  http://www.retrotec hnology.net/ herbs_stuff/ domain mirror

                  No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.485 / Virus Database: 269.13.14/999 - Release Date: 9/10/2007 5:43 PM
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 11, 2007

                    The first picture (kids playing Atari) was taken inside our oft-mentioned “preview” room in the main InfoAge building (“the hotel”) … the second picture (11/20 on a desk) was taken inside room #3 (of 4) in our under-renovation museum wing in the second building (9032-C).

                    Ping me anytime Dan if you plan to visit.  The more notice, the better, and I’ll give you the full tour.

                    - Evan

                    Herb Johnson wrote:

                    "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                    > Herb was a surprise visitor at the museum today, and he took this
                    > picture of three children enjoying Atari 2600 Pacman:
                    > http://tinyurl. com/ytffhy ...

                    ..but members have said the link is broken or incomplete.

                    I've put it on my Web site until Evan puts it elsewhere (hint hint):

                    http://www.retrotec hnology.com/ pdp11/MARCH_ showNtell. jpg

                    The rest of the page has some new notes and photos of the PDP 11/20
                    exhibit in progress:

                    http://www.retrotec hnology.com/ pdp11/

                    Evan complimented me for visiting and doing some work for MARCH. I
                    appreciate that, but any member can and should stop by our facilities
                    and do some work, or help to show our exhibits on Sundays. Talk to Evan.

                    Herb JOhnson

                    Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                    http://www.retrotec hnology.com/ herbs_stuff/ web site
                    http://www.retrotec hnology.net/ herbs_stuff/ domain mirror