Nice picture from today

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 9, 2007

      Herb was a surprise visitor at the museum today, and he took this picture of three children enjoying Atari 2600 Pacman: http://tinyurl.com/ytffhy ... he also documented the contents of our recent PDP 11/20 acquisition (great stuff in those boxes – lots of software on paper tape and lots of pristine documentation!) … and we fired up our original Macintosh; it gave us the floppy-disk “question mark” logo instead of a “sad Mac” which is a good indication that it can be easily made to demo.  Herb took it home for a cleaning, software test, etc. and will soon return it with the correct keyboard and mouse.

      If we still did a “MARCHin of the Month” award it would be Mr. Johnson!

    • Jeffrey Frady
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 9, 2007
        Goodmorning!  Link doesn't work.  Good to see kids playing Pac Man.  I remember having to explain Pong to someone when I was in high school.

        Moderator at http://forums.palm.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 10, 2007
          At 12:06 AM 9/10/2007 -0400, you wrote:

          Herb was a surprise visitor at the museum today, and he took this picture of three children enjoying Atari 2600 Pacman: http://tinyurl.com/ytffhy ... he also documented the contents of our recent PDP 11/20 acquisition (great stuff in those boxes lots of software on paper tape and lots of pristine documentation!) & and we fired up our original Macintosh; it gave us the floppy-disk question mark logo instead of a sad Mac which is a good indication that it can be easily made to demo.  Herb took it home for a cleaning, software test, etc. and will soon return it with the correct keyboard and mouse.

          If we still did a MARCHin of the Month award it would be Mr. Johnson!

          The link did not work for me.

          Speaking of the early MAC sad face codes - what does it mean if you get the sad MAC with code 041800?

          Bill
        • Bob Applegate
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 10, 2007
            If there ends up being a display of stuff from Franklin (our "east coast" theme), then having a Mac in the exhibit
            would be a good addition too.  There is a hidden chunk of code in the Mac ROM that will display some icon and
            a "Stolen from Apple" message specifically to entrap companies like Franklin if there was ever a court show-down.

            A good read about it:

            I've never actually seen this, but then again, I don't have a Mac.

            Bob

            Herb was a surprise visitor at the museum today, and he took this picture of three children enjoying Atari 2600 Pacman: http://tinyurl. com/ytffhy ... he also documented the contents of our recent PDP 11/20 acquisition (great stuff in those boxes – lots of software on paper tape and lots of pristine documentation! ) … and we fired up our original Macintosh; it gave us the floppy-disk “question mark” logo instead of a “sad Mac” which is a good indication that it can be easily made to demo.  Herb took it home for a cleaning, software test, etc. and will soon return it with the correct keyboard and mouse.

            If we still did a “MARCHin of the Month” award it would be Mr. Johnson!

          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 10, 2007
              On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, Jeffrey Frady wrote:

              > Goodmorning! Link doesn't work. Good to see kids playing Pac Man. I
              > remember having to explain Pong to someone when I was in high school.

              Just go directly to the Yahoo group area and look in the files section.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Hex Star
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 10, 2007

                You can find out here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=7748

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 10, 2007
                  yes, but what does 041800 mean exactly?  which chip or section is bad?
                  Bill

                  At 05:34 PM 9/10/2007 -0700, you wrote:

                  On 9/10/07, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
                  >  Speaking of the early MAC sad face codes - what does it mean if you get the sad MAC with code 041800?

                  You can find out here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=7748

                • Herb Johnson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 11, 2007
                    "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                    > Herb was a surprise visitor at the museum today, and he took this
                    > picture of three children enjoying Atari 2600 Pacman:
                    > http://tinyurl.com/ytffhy ...

                    ..but members have said the link is broken or incomplete.

                    I've put it on my Web site until Evan puts it elsewhere (hint hint):

                    http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/MARCH_showNtell.jpg

                    The rest of the page has some new notes and photos of the PDP 11/20
                    exhibit in progress:

                    http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                    Evan complimented me for visiting and doing some work for MARCH. I
                    appreciate that, but any member can and should stop by our facilities
                    and do some work, or help to show our exhibits on Sundays. Talk to Evan.

                    Herb JOhnson

                    Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 11, 2007

                      Hey, that's a nice photo.
                      Is that one of the new rooms of the museum ?
                      It's looks real spiffy in there.
                      I can't wait to visit !

                      =Dan

                      [ Never put off till tomorrow, What you can do the day after tomorrow         ]
                      [ Pittsburgh ----                     http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/    ]

                      Herb Johnson wrote:

                      "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                      > Herb was a surprise visitor at the museum today, and he took this
                      > picture of three children enjoying Atari 2600 Pacman:
                      > http://tinyurl. com/ytffhy ...

                      ..but members have said the link is broken or incomplete.

                      I've put it on my Web site until Evan puts it elsewhere (hint hint):

                      http://www.retrotec hnology.com/ pdp11/MARCH_ showNtell. jpg

                      The rest of the page has some new notes and photos of the PDP 11/20
                      exhibit in progress:

                      http://www.retrotec hnology.com/ pdp11/

                      Evan complimented me for visiting and doing some work for MARCH. I
                      appreciate that, but any member can and should stop by our facilities
                      and do some work, or help to show our exhibits on Sundays. Talk to Evan.

                      Herb JOhnson

                      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                      http://www.retrotec hnology.com/ herbs_stuff/ web site
                      http://www.retrotec hnology.net/ herbs_stuff/ domain mirror

                      No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.485 / Virus Database: 269.13.14/999 - Release Date: 9/10/2007 5:43 PM
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 11, 2007

                        The first picture (kids playing Atari) was taken inside our oft-mentioned “preview” room in the main InfoAge building (“the hotel”) … the second picture (11/20 on a desk) was taken inside room #3 (of 4) in our under-renovation museum wing in the second building (9032-C).

                        Ping me anytime Dan if you plan to visit.  The more notice, the better, and I’ll give you the full tour.

                        - Evan

                        Herb Johnson wrote:

                        "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                        > Herb was a surprise visitor at the museum today, and he took this
                        > picture of three children enjoying Atari 2600 Pacman:
                        > http://tinyurl. com/ytffhy ...

                        ..but members have said the link is broken or incomplete.

                        I've put it on my Web site until Evan puts it elsewhere (hint hint):

                        http://www.retrotec hnology.com/ pdp11/MARCH_ showNtell. jpg

                        The rest of the page has some new notes and photos of the PDP 11/20
                        exhibit in progress:

                        http://www.retrotec hnology.com/ pdp11/

                        Evan complimented me for visiting and doing some work for MARCH. I
                        appreciate that, but any member can and should stop by our facilities
                        and do some work, or help to show our exhibits on Sundays. Talk to Evan.

                        Herb JOhnson

                        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                        http://www.retrotec hnology.com/ herbs_stuff/ web site
                        http://www.retrotec hnology.net/ herbs_stuff/ domain mirror