Re: [midatlanticretro] A interesting thought

  • Sellam Ismail
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 4 7:19 PM
      On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, Jim Scheef wrote:

      > Here's something I happened across today in my reading: the Classic
      > Computer Collector's Code of Conduct, which you can find at
      > http://www.vaxman.de/old_computing_machinery/ccccc.html.
      >
      > Sometimes we get focused on our own interests and forget that MARCHins
      > are a vast black hole into which all kinds of computers can find a happy
      > home. We just need to help them along.

      We (meaning various members of the Classic Computers mailing list)
      formulated that years ago as an idealists way to express our credo.

      Doug Salot (most of you have never heard of him) seems to be the guy that
      wrote the first draft of the CCCCC here:

      http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/1998-April/098555.html

      April 2, 1998

      I seem to recall that Roger Sinasohn (again, most of you have never heard
      of him) refined it.

      Here's an old post from me where I point people to Roger's Refined Rules:

      http://sinasohn.com/clascomp/ccccc.htm

      --

      Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5 11:36 AM
        Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

        > Evan and all,
        >
        > I have to agree that we don't need a special list for PCs. However,
        this begs the question of vintage versus collectible. I'm now looking
        for 286 and 386 laptops. Also for interesting high-end 386 machines
        like the monster ALR 386 I used in my last days at General Foods. I
        don't care if anyone thinks these are vintage, they are collectible,
        becoming rather rare, but hopefully are still cheap.

        > Jim

        Without a lot of discussion, I see some good, in supporting
        ANNOUNCMENTS OF INTEREST by members, as Jim has done. Then, anyone
        else who is interested, or who has such systems to offer, can search
        for such announcments and have PRIVATE discussions. It's a bit of
        courtesy to permit such posts, and it supports reuse of those
        not-so-old computers.

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5 5:32 PM
          At 06:36 PM 9/5/2007 +0000, you wrote:
          > Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Evan and all,
          > >
          > > I have to agree that we don't need a special list for PCs. However,
          >this begs the question of vintage versus collectible. I'm now looking
          >for 286 and 386 laptops. Also for interesting high-end 386 machines
          >like the monster ALR 386 I used in my last days at General Foods. I
          >don't care if anyone thinks these are vintage, they are collectible,
          >becoming rather rare, but hopefully are still cheap.
          > >
          > > Jim
          > >

          >Without a lot of discussion, I see some good, in supporting
          >ANNOUNCMENTS OF INTEREST by members, as Jim has done. Then, anyone
          >else who is interested, or who has such systems to offer, can search
          >for such announcments and have PRIVATE discussions. It's a bit of
          >courtesy to permit such posts, and it supports reuse of those
          >not-so-old computers.
          >
          >Herb Johnson

          That's a very good idea.

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 9 6:33 AM
            Sellam,
            A C64 is on it's way. The system was tested with diagnostics to verify
            operations. How many more do you need?
            Bill Degnan