RE: [midatlanticretro] A interesting thought

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
      >>> There's nothing stopping you or anyone from forming their own Yahoo
      group

      Heh ... Bill, thanks for putting it nicer than I would've. :)

      >>> I don't care if anyone thinks these are vintage, they are
      collectible, becoming rather rare, but hopefully are still cheap.

      That applies to many things, but it doesn't mean they are within the
      scope of our group.
    • William Donzelli
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
        > That applies to many things, but it doesn't mean they are within the
        > scope of our group.

        And the scope is ????

        Has MARCH written up a charter and collections policy yet?

        --
        Will
      • Sellam Ismail
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
          On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, Jim Scheef wrote:

          > Here's something I happened across today in my reading: the Classic
          > Computer Collector's Code of Conduct, which you can find at
          > http://www.vaxman.de/old_computing_machinery/ccccc.html.
          >
          > Sometimes we get focused on our own interests and forget that MARCHins
          > are a vast black hole into which all kinds of computers can find a happy
          > home. We just need to help them along.

          We (meaning various members of the Classic Computers mailing list)
          formulated that years ago as an idealists way to express our credo.

          Doug Salot (most of you have never heard of him) seems to be the guy that
          wrote the first draft of the CCCCC here:

          http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/1998-April/098555.html

          April 2, 1998

          I seem to recall that Roger Sinasohn (again, most of you have never heard
          of him) refined it.

          Here's an old post from me where I point people to Roger's Refined Rules:

          http://sinasohn.com/clascomp/ccccc.htm

          --

          Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

        • Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
            Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

            > Evan and all,
            >
            > I have to agree that we don't need a special list for PCs. However,
            this begs the question of vintage versus collectible. I'm now looking
            for 286 and 386 laptops. Also for interesting high-end 386 machines
            like the monster ALR 386 I used in my last days at General Foods. I
            don't care if anyone thinks these are vintage, they are collectible,
            becoming rather rare, but hopefully are still cheap.

            > Jim

            Without a lot of discussion, I see some good, in supporting
            ANNOUNCMENTS OF INTEREST by members, as Jim has done. Then, anyone
            else who is interested, or who has such systems to offer, can search
            for such announcments and have PRIVATE discussions. It's a bit of
            courtesy to permit such posts, and it supports reuse of those
            not-so-old computers.

            Herb Johnson

            Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
              At 06:36 PM 9/5/2007 +0000, you wrote:
              > Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Evan and all,
              > >
              > > I have to agree that we don't need a special list for PCs. However,
              >this begs the question of vintage versus collectible. I'm now looking
              >for 286 and 386 laptops. Also for interesting high-end 386 machines
              >like the monster ALR 386 I used in my last days at General Foods. I
              >don't care if anyone thinks these are vintage, they are collectible,
              >becoming rather rare, but hopefully are still cheap.
              > >
              > > Jim
              > >

              >Without a lot of discussion, I see some good, in supporting
              >ANNOUNCMENTS OF INTEREST by members, as Jim has done. Then, anyone
              >else who is interested, or who has such systems to offer, can search
              >for such announcments and have PRIVATE discussions. It's a bit of
              >courtesy to permit such posts, and it supports reuse of those
              >not-so-old computers.
              >
              >Herb Johnson

              That's a very good idea.

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 9, 2007
                Sellam,
                A C64 is on it's way. The system was tested with diagnostics to verify
                operations. How many more do you need?
                Bill Degnan