Re: [midatlanticretro] A interesting thought

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
      > Evan and all,
      >
      > I have to agree that we don't need a special list for PCs. However, this
      > begs the question of vintage versus collectible. I'm now looking for 286
      > and 386 laptops. Also for interesting high-end 386 machines like the
      > monster ALR 386 I used in my last days at General Foods. I don't care if
      > anyone thinks these are vintage, they are collectible, becoming rather
      > rare, but hopefully are still cheap.
      >
      > Jim

      I can tell you this...my student's first computer memories were 486's.
      They're all Juniors and Seniors (20+)...The 286 was before their time.

      There's nothing stopping you or anyone from forming their own Yahoo group,
      to be allied with MARCH's.

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
        >>> There's nothing stopping you or anyone from forming their own Yahoo
        group

        Heh ... Bill, thanks for putting it nicer than I would've. :)

        >>> I don't care if anyone thinks these are vintage, they are
        collectible, becoming rather rare, but hopefully are still cheap.

        That applies to many things, but it doesn't mean they are within the
        scope of our group.
      • William Donzelli
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
          > That applies to many things, but it doesn't mean they are within the
          > scope of our group.

          And the scope is ????

          Has MARCH written up a charter and collections policy yet?

          --
          Will
        • Sellam Ismail
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
            On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, Jim Scheef wrote:

            > Here's something I happened across today in my reading: the Classic
            > Computer Collector's Code of Conduct, which you can find at
            > http://www.vaxman.de/old_computing_machinery/ccccc.html.
            >
            > Sometimes we get focused on our own interests and forget that MARCHins
            > are a vast black hole into which all kinds of computers can find a happy
            > home. We just need to help them along.

            We (meaning various members of the Classic Computers mailing list)
            formulated that years ago as an idealists way to express our credo.

            Doug Salot (most of you have never heard of him) seems to be the guy that
            wrote the first draft of the CCCCC here:

            http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/1998-April/098555.html

            April 2, 1998

            I seem to recall that Roger Sinasohn (again, most of you have never heard
            of him) refined it.

            Here's an old post from me where I point people to Roger's Refined Rules:

            http://sinasohn.com/clascomp/ccccc.htm

            --

            Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
              Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

              > Evan and all,
              >
              > I have to agree that we don't need a special list for PCs. However,
              this begs the question of vintage versus collectible. I'm now looking
              for 286 and 386 laptops. Also for interesting high-end 386 machines
              like the monster ALR 386 I used in my last days at General Foods. I
              don't care if anyone thinks these are vintage, they are collectible,
              becoming rather rare, but hopefully are still cheap.

              > Jim

              Without a lot of discussion, I see some good, in supporting
              ANNOUNCMENTS OF INTEREST by members, as Jim has done. Then, anyone
              else who is interested, or who has such systems to offer, can search
              for such announcments and have PRIVATE discussions. It's a bit of
              courtesy to permit such posts, and it supports reuse of those
              not-so-old computers.

              Herb Johnson

              Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
                At 06:36 PM 9/5/2007 +0000, you wrote:
                > Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Evan and all,
                > >
                > > I have to agree that we don't need a special list for PCs. However,
                >this begs the question of vintage versus collectible. I'm now looking
                >for 286 and 386 laptops. Also for interesting high-end 386 machines
                >like the monster ALR 386 I used in my last days at General Foods. I
                >don't care if anyone thinks these are vintage, they are collectible,
                >becoming rather rare, but hopefully are still cheap.
                > >
                > > Jim
                > >

                >Without a lot of discussion, I see some good, in supporting
                >ANNOUNCMENTS OF INTEREST by members, as Jim has done. Then, anyone
                >else who is interested, or who has such systems to offer, can search
                >for such announcments and have PRIVATE discussions. It's a bit of
                >courtesy to permit such posts, and it supports reuse of those
                >not-so-old computers.
                >
                >Herb Johnson

                That's a very good idea.

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 9, 2007
                  Sellam,
                  A C64 is on it's way. The system was tested with diagnostics to verify
                  operations. How many more do you need?
                  Bill Degnan