Re: [midatlanticretro] A interesting thought

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
      >>> Perhaps MARCH could have a side list allowing PC discussion

      Nah

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
        Evan and all,

        I have to agree that we don't need a special list for PCs. However, this begs the question of vintage versus collectible. I'm now looking for 286 and 386 laptops. Also for interesting high-end 386 machines like the monster ALR 386 I used in my last days at General Foods. I don't care if anyone thinks these are vintage, they are collectible, becoming rather rare, but hopefully are still cheap.

        Jim

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
          > Evan and all,
          >
          > I have to agree that we don't need a special list for PCs. However, this
          > begs the question of vintage versus collectible. I'm now looking for 286
          > and 386 laptops. Also for interesting high-end 386 machines like the
          > monster ALR 386 I used in my last days at General Foods. I don't care if
          > anyone thinks these are vintage, they are collectible, becoming rather
          > rare, but hopefully are still cheap.
          >
          > Jim

          I can tell you this...my student's first computer memories were 486's.
          They're all Juniors and Seniors (20+)...The 286 was before their time.

          There's nothing stopping you or anyone from forming their own Yahoo group,
          to be allied with MARCH's.

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
            >>> There's nothing stopping you or anyone from forming their own Yahoo
            group

            Heh ... Bill, thanks for putting it nicer than I would've. :)

            >>> I don't care if anyone thinks these are vintage, they are
            collectible, becoming rather rare, but hopefully are still cheap.

            That applies to many things, but it doesn't mean they are within the
            scope of our group.
          • William Donzelli
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
              > That applies to many things, but it doesn't mean they are within the
              > scope of our group.

              And the scope is ????

              Has MARCH written up a charter and collections policy yet?

              --
              Will
            • Sellam Ismail
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
                On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, Jim Scheef wrote:

                > Here's something I happened across today in my reading: the Classic
                > Computer Collector's Code of Conduct, which you can find at
                > http://www.vaxman.de/old_computing_machinery/ccccc.html.
                >
                > Sometimes we get focused on our own interests and forget that MARCHins
                > are a vast black hole into which all kinds of computers can find a happy
                > home. We just need to help them along.

                We (meaning various members of the Classic Computers mailing list)
                formulated that years ago as an idealists way to express our credo.

                Doug Salot (most of you have never heard of him) seems to be the guy that
                wrote the first draft of the CCCCC here:

                http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/1998-April/098555.html

                April 2, 1998

                I seem to recall that Roger Sinasohn (again, most of you have never heard
                of him) refined it.

                Here's an old post from me where I point people to Roger's Refined Rules:

                http://sinasohn.com/clascomp/ccccc.htm

                --

                Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

              • Herb Johnson
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
                  Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

                  > Evan and all,
                  >
                  > I have to agree that we don't need a special list for PCs. However,
                  this begs the question of vintage versus collectible. I'm now looking
                  for 286 and 386 laptops. Also for interesting high-end 386 machines
                  like the monster ALR 386 I used in my last days at General Foods. I
                  don't care if anyone thinks these are vintage, they are collectible,
                  becoming rather rare, but hopefully are still cheap.

                  > Jim

                  Without a lot of discussion, I see some good, in supporting
                  ANNOUNCMENTS OF INTEREST by members, as Jim has done. Then, anyone
                  else who is interested, or who has such systems to offer, can search
                  for such announcments and have PRIVATE discussions. It's a bit of
                  courtesy to permit such posts, and it supports reuse of those
                  not-so-old computers.

                  Herb Johnson

                  Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
                    At 06:36 PM 9/5/2007 +0000, you wrote:
                    > Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Evan and all,
                    > >
                    > > I have to agree that we don't need a special list for PCs. However,
                    >this begs the question of vintage versus collectible. I'm now looking
                    >for 286 and 386 laptops. Also for interesting high-end 386 machines
                    >like the monster ALR 386 I used in my last days at General Foods. I
                    >don't care if anyone thinks these are vintage, they are collectible,
                    >becoming rather rare, but hopefully are still cheap.
                    > >
                    > > Jim
                    > >

                    >Without a lot of discussion, I see some good, in supporting
                    >ANNOUNCMENTS OF INTEREST by members, as Jim has done. Then, anyone
                    >else who is interested, or who has such systems to offer, can search
                    >for such announcments and have PRIVATE discussions. It's a bit of
                    >courtesy to permit such posts, and it supports reuse of those
                    >not-so-old computers.
                    >
                    >Herb Johnson

                    That's a very good idea.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 9, 2007
                      Sellam,
                      A C64 is on it's way. The system was tested with diagnostics to verify
                      operations. How many more do you need?
                      Bill Degnan