Re: [midatlanticretro] A interesting thought

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 3, 2007
      Code of conduct is really old news ... But still a good point.
    • John Allain
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
        I hope we all know not to dump a classiccmp w/o announcing
        it to your buddies first.

        - - -
        The bulk of stuff entering the free zone nowadays are pc's.
        A large fraction of people on classic lists seem to be those
        looking for a good deal on a usable computer.
        Perhaps MARCH could have a side list allowing PC discussion.
        BTW I am getting ready to dump my "for charity" collection
        -- computers that work but are not classic.  Probably will do so
        on  National Cristina Foundation    http://www.cristina.org

        John A.
        certainly would trade...
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
          >>> Perhaps MARCH could have a side list allowing PC discussion

          Nah

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
            Evan and all,

            I have to agree that we don't need a special list for PCs. However, this begs the question of vintage versus collectible. I'm now looking for 286 and 386 laptops. Also for interesting high-end 386 machines like the monster ALR 386 I used in my last days at General Foods. I don't care if anyone thinks these are vintage, they are collectible, becoming rather rare, but hopefully are still cheap.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
              > Evan and all,
              >
              > I have to agree that we don't need a special list for PCs. However, this
              > begs the question of vintage versus collectible. I'm now looking for 286
              > and 386 laptops. Also for interesting high-end 386 machines like the
              > monster ALR 386 I used in my last days at General Foods. I don't care if
              > anyone thinks these are vintage, they are collectible, becoming rather
              > rare, but hopefully are still cheap.
              >
              > Jim

              I can tell you this...my student's first computer memories were 486's.
              They're all Juniors and Seniors (20+)...The 286 was before their time.

              There's nothing stopping you or anyone from forming their own Yahoo group,
              to be allied with MARCH's.

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
                >>> There's nothing stopping you or anyone from forming their own Yahoo
                group

                Heh ... Bill, thanks for putting it nicer than I would've. :)

                >>> I don't care if anyone thinks these are vintage, they are
                collectible, becoming rather rare, but hopefully are still cheap.

                That applies to many things, but it doesn't mean they are within the
                scope of our group.
              • William Donzelli
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
                  > That applies to many things, but it doesn't mean they are within the
                  > scope of our group.

                  And the scope is ????

                  Has MARCH written up a charter and collections policy yet?

                  --
                  Will
                • Sellam Ismail
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
                    On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, Jim Scheef wrote:

                    > Here's something I happened across today in my reading: the Classic
                    > Computer Collector's Code of Conduct, which you can find at
                    > http://www.vaxman.de/old_computing_machinery/ccccc.html.
                    >
                    > Sometimes we get focused on our own interests and forget that MARCHins
                    > are a vast black hole into which all kinds of computers can find a happy
                    > home. We just need to help them along.

                    We (meaning various members of the Classic Computers mailing list)
                    formulated that years ago as an idealists way to express our credo.

                    Doug Salot (most of you have never heard of him) seems to be the guy that
                    wrote the first draft of the CCCCC here:

                    http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/1998-April/098555.html

                    April 2, 1998

                    I seem to recall that Roger Sinasohn (again, most of you have never heard
                    of him) refined it.

                    Here's an old post from me where I point people to Roger's Refined Rules:

                    http://sinasohn.com/clascomp/ccccc.htm

                    --

                    Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

                  • Herb Johnson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
                      Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

                      > Evan and all,
                      >
                      > I have to agree that we don't need a special list for PCs. However,
                      this begs the question of vintage versus collectible. I'm now looking
                      for 286 and 386 laptops. Also for interesting high-end 386 machines
                      like the monster ALR 386 I used in my last days at General Foods. I
                      don't care if anyone thinks these are vintage, they are collectible,
                      becoming rather rare, but hopefully are still cheap.

                      > Jim

                      Without a lot of discussion, I see some good, in supporting
                      ANNOUNCMENTS OF INTEREST by members, as Jim has done. Then, anyone
                      else who is interested, or who has such systems to offer, can search
                      for such announcments and have PRIVATE discussions. It's a bit of
                      courtesy to permit such posts, and it supports reuse of those
                      not-so-old computers.

                      Herb Johnson

                      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
                        At 06:36 PM 9/5/2007 +0000, you wrote:
                        > Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Evan and all,
                        > >
                        > > I have to agree that we don't need a special list for PCs. However,
                        >this begs the question of vintage versus collectible. I'm now looking
                        >for 286 and 386 laptops. Also for interesting high-end 386 machines
                        >like the monster ALR 386 I used in my last days at General Foods. I
                        >don't care if anyone thinks these are vintage, they are collectible,
                        >becoming rather rare, but hopefully are still cheap.
                        > >
                        > > Jim
                        > >

                        >Without a lot of discussion, I see some good, in supporting
                        >ANNOUNCMENTS OF INTEREST by members, as Jim has done. Then, anyone
                        >else who is interested, or who has such systems to offer, can search
                        >for such announcments and have PRIVATE discussions. It's a bit of
                        >courtesy to permit such posts, and it supports reuse of those
                        >not-so-old computers.
                        >
                        >Herb Johnson

                        That's a very good idea.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 9, 2007
                          Sellam,
                          A C64 is on it's way. The system was tested with diagnostics to verify
                          operations. How many more do you need?
                          Bill Degnan