Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: DEC exhibit? (was: Failed work day :( )

  • John Allain
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007
      > The more I
      > explain the idea, the more I like it ... keep everyone involved, use
      > more of our physical exhibit space, vary the exhibits beyond what MARCH
      > owns ... sounds good right???

      Yup, Home Run.
      ( or, >run home<, clean up systems, bring in to MARCH. )

      I'll ramble on and add that I want to Pretend the MARCH DEC
      systems are my own in that I'd like to spend a few _days_ treating
      them nicely and making them runnable/clean enough for display,
      ready to go/Inventoried/Researched, 100% museum quality.

      John A.
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007
        Cool! Nerd fight!! John has a height advantage, but Herb is clever.

        >> I want to pretend the MARCH DEC systems are my own
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007

          "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:
          > Yup, Home Run.
          > ( or, >run home<, clean up systems, bring in to MARCH. )
          >
          > I'll ramble on and add that I want to Pretend the MARCH DEC
          > systems are my own in that I'd like to spend a few _days_ treating
          > them nicely and making them runnable/clean enough for display,
          > ready to go/Inventoried/Researched, 100% museum quality.
          >
          > John A.

          ...and Evan replied "Cool! Nerd fight!! John has a height advantage,
          but Herb is clever...."

          The DEC is not "mine", and I'm glad this was brought up. I don't DO
          projects as subtext for "ownership". If I "owned" this DEC, and did
          the work, and went away (as always happens, eventually); then the work
          would go away. And if no one "owned" the computer later, the DEC would
          go away.

          That means, to me, the work was a waste of time. If something only
          lasts as long as I'm interested, then it has no permanance, no value
          outside myself. What's the point, in my opinion? At age 54, I think
          about these things.

          MARCH (or InfoAge) "owns" the collection. Herb Johnson offers to work
          on some part, to get OTHERS interested in doing more, and to get
          OTHERS to see what we have. The point is to INVOLVE, not to gather
          more toys. I have plenty of toys, thanks. I made my case about the
          value of an exhibit - the proof will be 1) does it interest visitors
          and 2) does it interest MEMBERS.

          Evan "got" that: we have a "go". Welcome aboard, John.

          http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

          Herb Johnson

          P.S.: there are several other PDP-11's on site. No shortage of 'em.
          Two 11/10s or /05's are kinda cute...HJ

          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007
            Guys ... I was only kidding around ... smile it's funny. :)

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 30, 2007
              Hello all,

              From the first mention of "ownership" I took this to mean the business sense where the "owner" is the sponsor or evangelist for a particular exhibit. I really like this concept because then the "owner" could commit to be the coordinator of all work on an exhibit over time, preparing documentation, signs, work on the hardware and software, etc. Certainly there could be more than one person as owner for large and complex exhibits like this PDP, but the owner would coordinate the efforts of any and all people working on the exhibit - cleaning, documenting, restoring, whatever.

              As we talk about exhibits, we should keep in mind that no exhibit should ever be "permanent" and hopefully all will evolve over time. To my mind, popular exhibits are the ones that several MARCHins want to work on and improve over time rather than computers that just sit there and gather dust - no matter how "cool" that computer might be. When an exhibit stops evolving it's probably time to look for something to replace it on display - some new exhibit that people are working on.

              Filling the exhibit rooms is easy - they have been full for months! Making a *museum* educates and informs visitors will be much harder than we might think.

              Jim

              "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:
              > Yup, Home Run.
              > ( or, >run home<, clean up systems, bring in to MARCH. )
              >
              > I'll ramble on and add that I want to Pretend the MARCH DEC
              > systems are my own in that I'd like to spend a few _days_ treating
              > them nicely and making them runnable/clean enough for display,
              > ready to go/Inventoried/Researched, 100% museum quality.
              >
              > John A.

              ...and Evan replied "Cool! Nerd fight!! John has a height advantage,
              but Herb is clever...."

              The DEC is not "mine", and I'm glad this was brought up. I don't DO
              projects as subtext for "ownership". If I "owned" this DEC, and did
              the work, and went away (as always happens, eventually); then the work
              would go away. And if no one "owned" the computer later, the DEC would
              go away.

              That means, to me, the work was a waste of time. If something only
              lasts as long as I'm interested, then it has no permanance, no value
              outside myself. What's the point, in my opinion? At age 54, I think
              about these things.

              MARCH (or InfoAge) "owns" the collection. Herb Johnson offers to work
              on some part, to get OTHERS interested in doing more, and to get
              OTHERS to see what we have. The point is to INVOLVE, not to gather
              more toys. I have plenty of toys, thanks. I made my case about the
              value of an exhibit - the proof will be 1) does it interest visitors
              and 2) does it interest MEMBERS.

              Evan "got" that: we have a "go". Welcome aboard, John.

              http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

              Herb Johnson

              P.S.: there are several other PDP-11's on site. No shortage of 'em.
              Two 11/10s or /05's are kinda cute...HJ

              Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA

            • Evan
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 30, 2007
                >>> Filling the exhibit rooms is easy - they have been full for months!

                Actually, now that we neatly rearranged everything, only two of our four rooms are full (and it's two of the small rooms!) ... But your point is very valid.