Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Failed work day :(

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 27, 2007
      <chuckle>......................</chuckle>

      >>> this is something Herb Johnson will think about.

      But only in the third person. :)

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 28, 2007

        Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

        > <chuckle>......................</chuckle>

        My use of the third person got some attention, didn't it? Thank you.
        Now, is anyone interested in MARCH's DEC equipment? Or not? Let me
        know. I have an idea about a display.

        Herb

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      • Bob Applegate
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 28, 2007
          Bob Dole said "Bob Dole is interested."

          We SHOULD be interested in DEC stuff.  While Maynard might not be considered Mid-Atlantic, DEC was
          certainly a major player in the early days.  Reading through the first issues of Dr Dobb's, lots of people
          discussed ways to run PDP-8 and PDP-11 software on their micros.  DEC had a big impact on a lot of us
          folks back in the 70s.

          Bob

          http://www.retrotec hnology.com/ herbs_stuff/ web site
          http://www.retrotec hnology.net/ herbs_stuff/ domain mirror

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 28, 2007
            Of course we're interested! I just think it makes more sense to save our
            best DEC items for the exhibit on minicomputers, and/or other
            to-be-determined exhibits, instead of using it for this first exhibit on
            local products.

            That being said, I suppose we can make a THIRD "first" exhibit, which
            would just be a "best of the rest of our collection" while we continue
            planning and restoring things. And the PDP-11 certainly would fit into
            that category too.

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 28, 2007
              Herb,

              I was waiting to see who else commented. Using the PDP as a static exhibit (at least to start) sounds like a great idea. It has a lot of substance with its size, the manuals and many learning opportunities with the tape OS (I'd never heard of that), etc. Do you envision signs or display cards to explain things? I'm listening...

              Jim

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 28, 2007
                So, I was just sending an email to Herb, and started thinking more about
                this idea from the second paragraph of my previous email (below), re:
                making a third "first" exhibit which would be "best of the rest' of our
                collections. In addition to just showing off some of our more fun
                systems, this is a good way to keep everyone interested while the club
                focuses on other current exhibits. For example, say the current
                under-construction exhibit in six months from now happens to be about
                data storage, but you don't care much about data storage ... you could
                do what Herb's doing and work on a pet project for the "best of"
                exhibit. We can also use this exhibit space as a way to highlight
                members' personal collections, and we can rotate that space frequently.
                Again, for example, say there's a month when Andy is spontaneously
                inclined to show off his Sony SMC-70, or perhaps Mark will want to do a
                mini-OS2 exhibit around Warpstock time -- no problem, they'd just use
                part of our exhibit space designated for this purpose. The more I
                explain the idea, the more I like it ... keep everyone involved, use
                more of our physical exhibit space, vary the exhibits beyond what MARCH
                owns ... sounds good right???

                Of course we're interested! I just think it makes more sense to save
                our
                best DEC items for the exhibit on minicomputers, and/or other
                to-be-determined exhibits, instead of using it for this first exhibit on
                local products.

                That being said, I suppose we can make a THIRD "first" exhibit, which
                would just be a "best of the rest of our collection" while we continue
                planning and restoring things. And the PDP-11 certainly would fit into
                that category too.

                > Bob Dole said "Bob Dole is interested."
                >
                > We SHOULD be interested in DEC stuff. While Maynard might not be
                > considered Mid-Atlantic, DEC was
                > certainly a major player in the early days. Reading through the first
                > issues of Dr Dobb's, lots of people
                > discussed ways to run PDP-8 and PDP-11 software on their micros. DEC
                had
                > a big impact on a lot of us
                > folks back in the 70s.
                >
                > Bob

              • John Allain
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007
                  > The more I
                  > explain the idea, the more I like it ... keep everyone involved, use
                  > more of our physical exhibit space, vary the exhibits beyond what MARCH
                  > owns ... sounds good right???

                  Yup, Home Run.
                  ( or, >run home<, clean up systems, bring in to MARCH. )

                  I'll ramble on and add that I want to Pretend the MARCH DEC
                  systems are my own in that I'd like to spend a few _days_ treating
                  them nicely and making them runnable/clean enough for display,
                  ready to go/Inventoried/Researched, 100% museum quality.

                  John A.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007
                    Cool! Nerd fight!! John has a height advantage, but Herb is clever.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007

                      "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:
                      > Yup, Home Run.
                      > ( or, >run home<, clean up systems, bring in to MARCH. )
                      >
                      > I'll ramble on and add that I want to Pretend the MARCH DEC
                      > systems are my own in that I'd like to spend a few _days_ treating
                      > them nicely and making them runnable/clean enough for display,
                      > ready to go/Inventoried/Researched, 100% museum quality.
                      >
                      > John A.

                      ...and Evan replied "Cool! Nerd fight!! John has a height advantage,
                      but Herb is clever...."

                      The DEC is not "mine", and I'm glad this was brought up. I don't DO
                      projects as subtext for "ownership". If I "owned" this DEC, and did
                      the work, and went away (as always happens, eventually); then the work
                      would go away. And if no one "owned" the computer later, the DEC would
                      go away.

                      That means, to me, the work was a waste of time. If something only
                      lasts as long as I'm interested, then it has no permanance, no value
                      outside myself. What's the point, in my opinion? At age 54, I think
                      about these things.

                      MARCH (or InfoAge) "owns" the collection. Herb Johnson offers to work
                      on some part, to get OTHERS interested in doing more, and to get
                      OTHERS to see what we have. The point is to INVOLVE, not to gather
                      more toys. I have plenty of toys, thanks. I made my case about the
                      value of an exhibit - the proof will be 1) does it interest visitors
                      and 2) does it interest MEMBERS.

                      Evan "got" that: we have a "go". Welcome aboard, John.

                      http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                      Herb Johnson

                      P.S.: there are several other PDP-11's on site. No shortage of 'em.
                      Two 11/10s or /05's are kinda cute...HJ

                      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007
                        Guys ... I was only kidding around ... smile it's funny. :)

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 30, 2007
                          Hello all,

                          From the first mention of "ownership" I took this to mean the business sense where the "owner" is the sponsor or evangelist for a particular exhibit. I really like this concept because then the "owner" could commit to be the coordinator of all work on an exhibit over time, preparing documentation, signs, work on the hardware and software, etc. Certainly there could be more than one person as owner for large and complex exhibits like this PDP, but the owner would coordinate the efforts of any and all people working on the exhibit - cleaning, documenting, restoring, whatever.

                          As we talk about exhibits, we should keep in mind that no exhibit should ever be "permanent" and hopefully all will evolve over time. To my mind, popular exhibits are the ones that several MARCHins want to work on and improve over time rather than computers that just sit there and gather dust - no matter how "cool" that computer might be. When an exhibit stops evolving it's probably time to look for something to replace it on display - some new exhibit that people are working on.

                          Filling the exhibit rooms is easy - they have been full for months! Making a *museum* educates and informs visitors will be much harder than we might think.

                          Jim

                          "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:
                          > Yup, Home Run.
                          > ( or, >run home<, clean up systems, bring in to MARCH. )
                          >
                          > I'll ramble on and add that I want to Pretend the MARCH DEC
                          > systems are my own in that I'd like to spend a few _days_ treating
                          > them nicely and making them runnable/clean enough for display,
                          > ready to go/Inventoried/Researched, 100% museum quality.
                          >
                          > John A.

                          ...and Evan replied "Cool! Nerd fight!! John has a height advantage,
                          but Herb is clever...."

                          The DEC is not "mine", and I'm glad this was brought up. I don't DO
                          projects as subtext for "ownership". If I "owned" this DEC, and did
                          the work, and went away (as always happens, eventually); then the work
                          would go away. And if no one "owned" the computer later, the DEC would
                          go away.

                          That means, to me, the work was a waste of time. If something only
                          lasts as long as I'm interested, then it has no permanance, no value
                          outside myself. What's the point, in my opinion? At age 54, I think
                          about these things.

                          MARCH (or InfoAge) "owns" the collection. Herb Johnson offers to work
                          on some part, to get OTHERS interested in doing more, and to get
                          OTHERS to see what we have. The point is to INVOLVE, not to gather
                          more toys. I have plenty of toys, thanks. I made my case about the
                          value of an exhibit - the proof will be 1) does it interest visitors
                          and 2) does it interest MEMBERS.

                          Evan "got" that: we have a "go". Welcome aboard, John.

                          http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                          Herb Johnson

                          P.S.: there are several other PDP-11's on site. No shortage of 'em.
                          Two 11/10s or /05's are kinda cute...HJ

                          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA

                        • Evan
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 30, 2007
                            >>> Filling the exhibit rooms is easy - they have been full for months!

                            Actually, now that we neatly rearranged everything, only two of our four rooms are full (and it's two of the small rooms!) ... But your point is very valid.