Club updates, events, and stuff...

    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2005
      Hello MARCH'rs.

      Here are some random things...

      - Somehow our Yahoo group is now 76 people. About 15-20 of us are
      known entities. LOL, so who the heck are the rest of you? Please
      come out of hibernation and tell us who you are. We're interested in
      (for starters) your name, what you collect, where you're from in the
      mid-Atlantic region, how old you are, and how you heard about us.
      Feel free to share more. :)

      - John Allain is working on our permanent web site. Update to come.

      - The date for VCF Midwest 1.0 is changed. Originally it was July 16,
      and now it's July 30, at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana.
      I'd like to go but can't afford the airfare right now. I suppose
      it's possible for two or more people to carpool out there. Anyone?
      See http://computer-refuge.org/vcfmw/ for more details.

      - Another event in our area is Warpstock 2005 (OS/2), Oct. 6-9, 2005,
      in Hershey, Pennsylvania. That will be less vintage and more just old
      stuff. :) Mark Dodel, the show's organizer, is among our ranks here
      in MARCH. http://www.warpstock.org/press/2005/050505.html

      - Still another related-but-different event is Telephone Collectors
      International Spring, on June 17-19, 2005, in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
      (I'm not interested in this one, but could see how others might be.)
      http://www.telephonecollectors.org/events/events.htm

      - Commentary on the concept of a club museum at the InfoAge center
      (Jersey shore) has quieted... I'm still unsure of whether we should,
      or could, make this commitment. In theory, the actual "commitment" is
      minimal; the InfoAge folks would appreciate whatever we can do. On
      the other hand, it might be lame of us to do anything half-assed. For
      now, please keep thinking about it; I'll send another message when I
      hear back from InfoAge about the status of the large collection
      they're inheriting. (Initially, we could use their space as storage
      for our bigger collections, and as a nice spot for club swapmeets,
      etc. -- it's a huge, park-like campus where club events could include
      frisbee, setting off model rockets, and nearly anything else.)

      - This weekend (Sat., June 4), the Edison National Historic Site (West
      Orange, NJ) will be open to the public. It's been closed for a few
      years for renovation, and won't be open for real until next year I
      think. Since I live just 20 minutes away, I'm definitely going.
      Anyone else interested? (This is where Edison had his industrial lab
      and mansion, after becoming famous. It's not where he actually made
      the incandescent light bulb and phonograph -- that's about 30 minutes
      further south in the town of (surprise!) Edison. That town has a much
      smaller and lamer museum. I know because I grew up there and they
      made us go every year in school!

      - Sometime in June or July, I might take a trip to the Maryland / DC /
      Virginia region. I'd like to see the museums down there. I went to
      the American history museum, the air-and-space museum, etc. as a
      child, but this will be an all-geek trip. Specifically, I'd like to
      visit the computer section of the Smithsonian, the Historical
      Electronics Museum, the National Cryptologic Museum, and (maybe) the
      University of Virginia Computer Museum (which I hear is just a few
      display cases in a hallway, and kind of far from the DC area). So
      this is an open invitation to our members down there -- anybody want
      to join me for a little field trip? What else in that area should we see?

      - As always, I encourage everyone to share ideas for what MARCH should
      do. Share 'em with me or with the whole list.

      --- Evan Koblentz, your friendly moderator.
    • msimonsmail
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan Koblentz"
        <evan947@y...> wrote:
        > - Somehow our Yahoo group is now 76 people. About 15-20 of us are
        > known entities. LOL, so who the heck are the rest of you? Please

        Actually, there are more than 76 people. Bouncing members and
        moderators are not counted as part of the regular membership list.

        So that's +1 moderator and +4 bouncing.
      • billdeg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
          Evan (all)
          How about a MARCH 1.0 (VCF East) kick off chat conference? I think that this
          would be more practical than meeting at the InfoAge location physically and
          will encourage more people to participate. I for one have a tight weekend
          schedule that restricts when I can travel. I realize that some will have to go to
          the facility when we get closer to the event, but with "marching orders" the
          visit will be more practical. Anyone have experience setting up a chat? I
          propose some early evening next week, like the 8th or 9th.

          Here is what I have in mind:

          1) A floor plan of the facility is posted electronically to the yahoo group
          pictures area
          in advance of the chat (Evan?)
          2) Other pertinent info is also posted in advance (basic floor space, etc.)
          3) Perhaps Sellam has a kickoff checklist? Perhaps Sellam can participate in
          the chat to give us ideas?
          4) Set a timeline and assign tasks.
          Some examples:
          a) create a checklist of must have's and like to have's for event
          b) assign someone to complete a site survey specific to the event and verify
          the must have's are possible and like to have's are likely.
          c) determine the date of a practice event (see below) and an then the VCF
          East itself
          d) create teams for publicity, finance, operations/registration, facility
          management, guest services, and overall coordinator(s)
          e) schedule meeting dates for each team to kick off their part
          f) schedule the next general chat to report each team's progress.

          PRACTICE EVENT/SITE INVENTORY
          I think we should do a practice mini festival of just MARCH people this Fall.
          We can take the opportunity to meet with the InfoAge management as a group,
          and we can start an electronic inventory of the items that are currently
          warehoused at the facility. I am thinking a barcoding system and database. There
          might be items that need mechanical attention/cleaning to save them. We might
          even use this as an opportunity to bring items we don't have room to store at
          our homes/businesses to donate to the InfoAge project.

          Bill
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
            Great idea, but next week is too soon.  We should begin our show planning * after * we make more progress with the InfoAge people and the museum concept.  No point in decorating before we build our house.

            I definitely support merging VCF East 3.0 with the grand opening of the MARCH museum.  LOL, I'm not clear if you were suggesting that exactly, but I support it anyway.   :)

            Sellam does have a VCF event checklist.  I saw it once before.  Will ask him to send me an updated version.

            >>> I think we should do a practice mini festival of just MARCH people this Fall

            In many ways, our Trenton experience did just that.  But there's no reason to wait until autumn to begin documenting (and adding to!) the existing InfoAge (a.k.a., "Grabbe") collection.  As I said, still waiting to hear the status of InfoAge actually moving Mr. Grabbe's collection to its facility, and still waiting for you MARCH'rs to collectively tell me "Yes! We want to help run the museum!" before I tell InfoAge the same thing.  (LOL, at least so I don't get stuck doing all the work.)

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
              Evan,
              What is their timeline? It would not hurt to present them with a proposed
              agenda, I still think picking a date for a kickoff chat cannot hurt...how about
              the week of the 13th?
              Bill

              In a message dated 6/1/2005 12:02:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              evan947@... writes:

              > Great idea, but next week is too soon. We should begin our show planning *
              > after * we make more progress with the InfoAge people and the museum
              > concept. No point in decorating before we build our house.
              >
              > I definitely support merging VCF East 3.0 with the grand opening of the
              > MARCH museum. LOL, I'm not clear if you were suggesting that exactly, but
              > support it anyway. :)
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
                InfoAge didn't give us a timeline.  Their top goal is the radio museum stuff.  Everything else that will be located at the facility is secondary -- that includes us, various science organization offices, possibly a diving or transportation museum, etc.

                I don't mean that our part is a second-class citizen, just that the InfoAge people properly recognize that we all have jobs and other committments and stuff, so all they're asking of us is a reasonable and consistent effort.

                evan947@... writes:

                > Great idea, but next week is too
                soon.  We should begin our show planning *
                >  after * we make
                more progress with the InfoAge people and the museum
                concept.  No point in decorating before we build our house.

                >  I definitely support merging VCF East
                3.0 with the grand opening of the
                >  MARCH museum.  LOL, I'm not
                clear if you were suggesting that exactly, but
                >  support it
                anyway.   :)