Fun over the weekend

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2007
      I tend not to have a lot of time for vintage computer work, or at least haven't made the time.
      This weekend I had a couple hours and decided to continue my slow pursuit of getting an
      S-100 system working again.  I've had bits and pieces over the years, but never quite got a
      system working.  I just picked up a working Northstar Horizon Z80 CPU board.

      Herb, I finally took a good look at that Syntech Systems motherboard.  The main power
      connector is the same Molex power connector used on the PC disk drives, so I lopped off
      a connector from a dead PC power supply.  Using an old analog supply doesn't seem like
      much fun, so I whimped out and got some new switching power supplies for the motherboard
      (+/- 16V and 7.5 V are within the IEEE spec).

      There has been an Problem Solver 16K static board on my workbench waiting for repairs,
      so I replaced the damaged DIP switches and the missing components.

      Anchor Electronics still has "new" blank CCS S-100 boards in stock with manuals, so I'll
      take a look at those when I'm Silicon Valley again in a few weeks.  In preparation, I made a
      list of parts I need to build some of those boards that aren't already in my collection of
      old 74xx devices.

      I still need a serial I/O board, so I dug through some manuals and found one that seems
      pretty easy to reproduce today using mostly parts in my collection. Dan, when will your
      S-100 proto boards be available?  I need them!

      So, on Monday morning I still don't have a functioning system, but I feel like I've finally
      gotten something done!

      BTW, back in the 70s, there were a fair number of books by Lance Leventhal.  He and I are
      on several advistory boards for industry conferences.  Hopefully I'll remember to take my
      old Z80 programming book to the conference in October and finally get Lance to autograph
      it!  I keep joking him that his signature will double it's value on eBay.

      Bob

    • bob van cleef
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 27, 2007
        Please note, the ad-hoc standard for most of the old S-100 boards was + 8 volts, not +7.5 volts because there is an almost 2.5 volt drop through the on-board regulators and .5 volts was left as insurance for ripple.  bobvc99

        Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:
[...]

        Got a little couch potato?

      • Sellam Ismail
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 28, 2007
          On Mon, 27 Aug 2007, Bob Applegate wrote:

          > BTW, back in the 70s, there were a fair number of books by Lance
          > Leventhal. He and I are on several advistory boards for industry
          > conferences. Hopefully I'll remember to take my old Z80 programming
          > book to the conference in October and finally get Lance to autograph it!
          > I keep joking him that his signature will double it's value on eBay.

          Wow, that guy wrote a ton of computer books. You guys should get him to
          speak at the next VCF East.

          Bob, let me know when you're coming out this way. You're welcome to tour
          my collection.

          --

          Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival