Re: [midatlanticretro] First exhibits - was Your weekly "today at the museum" report

  • John Allain
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 26, 2007
      >> No one's really given the man the credit he (in my opinion) deserves.

      > The military electronics historians recognize his work, and he gets due
      credit.

      If he doesn't have any museum space anywhere in the world I'd be surprised.
      If so (no space), then tremendous opportunity. But... He's known for
      thought
      experiments ... I'd kinda like building a physical memex but that would
      ignore all the real world stuff we have now and are supposed to be curating.

      Other "real world" stuff we have is members with expertise (and their own
      collections) and connections to the outside like Claude and Dimitri.

      John A.
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 27, 2007
        Sellam,

        If Vannevar Bush had pushed for electronic computers, I would agree completely. He certainly had his hand in many technology projects in the thirties and forties. My view of him is undoubtedly colored by the books I have read about ENIAC.

        Jim

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 27, 2007
          I asked Fred about VB and Camp Evans. Fred says that in one of the oral
          history projects, a former Camp Evans scientist claimed that VB did
          visit once, but that's it -- no elaboration and no evidence. Next time
          I see Fred, I will ask him if the scientist is still alive and
          accessible, and if so then I'll contact him to see if there is any other
          information about VB's visit (when it happened, for what reason, etc.)

          --

          Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer
          Festival
          ------
          International Man of Intrigue and Danger
          http://www.vintage.org

          [ Old computing resources for business || Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage
          Computers ]
          [ and academia at www.VintageTech.com || at
          http://marketplace.vintage.org ]

        • Bob Grieb
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 29, 2007
            A friend has asked if I can read some old files from
            zip disks that were attached to a Mac. The files are
            a combination of Quark (Express?) and pdf's. Anyone
            think they might be able to help? I'm guessing the
            files are 10-12 years old. Not sure.

            Thanks,

            Bob Grieb

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • billdeg@degnanco.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 30, 2007
              > A friend has asked if I can read some old files from
              > zip disks that were attached to a Mac. The files are
              > a combination of Quark (Express?) and pdf's. Anyone
              > think they might be able to help? I'm guessing the
              > files are 10-12 years old. Not sure.
              >
              > Thanks,

              I have a MAC/Zip set up if you have not already received an offer for
              assistance. Contact me directly if needed.
              Bill
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 30, 2007
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote:

                > A friend has asked if I can read some old files from
                > zip disks that were attached to a Mac. The files are
                > a combination of Quark (Express?) and pdf's. Anyone
                > think they might be able to help? I'm guessing the
                > files are 10-12 years old. Not sure.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Bob Grieb

                If you're in a bind, you can send them to me in New Haven CT, and I
                can pop the files onto a CD for you...

                Dave Woyciesjes
              • Bob Grieb
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 30, 2007
                  Thanks, Bill and Dave.

                  I will ask my friend to send the media, then
                  will be in touch.

                  Bob Grieb

                  http://mail.yahoo.com