RE: [midatlanticretro] PC interface for 8" floppies

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2005
      Jim:
      I'm using Linux. This allows for greater control over the hardware. The
      only thing I'm still having problems with is being able to read/write FM
      encoded disks. I can handle them using the catweasel and Tim Mann's software
      (www.tim-mann.org), but that just gives me a low level image, not ascii data
      I can possibly deal with.

      Other than that, everything seems to be working fine.

      The machine will dual boot DOS, but I haven't tried the 8" floppy in DOS.
      What controller did you purchase? Would you be willing to sell it to me so I
      could try that also. How about trades? I've got a basement full of
      junk^H^H^H^H^H all kinds of PC parts and software. Need any Tandy software?
      I've downloaded the entire model 4 library from Ira's site (www.trs-80.com).

      My ultimate goal is to be able to read and write all these different formats
      from one machine:
      5.25" SD, DD, HD
      8" SD and DD

      It's the SD that has the FM encoding. For the big machines I use (TRS-80
      models II, 12, 16, 16b, 6000), I need to be able to read a disk with FM on
      track 0 and MFM everywhere else.

      For your reference, I'm using TM-848-02 8" drives. They are very easy to
      use, and I have the field service manual for them.

      Kelly

      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2005
        Dude, the NEC APC (numero uno) used 8" floppers. So did the Xerox 8/16 I'm told, and no I never did get to pick it up :(. This summer, I'm probably going to take the drive to pick up an APC or 2. Examining it's innards might help with the present conundrum. Won't be immediate though.
         Did you ever get my e-mail by the way?

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2005
          Chris,

          All this was nearly fifteen years ago, so the details are a little fuzzy. As
          I recall, the regular floppy controller in an IBM PC could not control an 8"
          drive. I don't recall why. I wanted to be able to read the 8" floopies used
          by my Seattle Gazelle, so I bought a controller that promised to work. It
          didn't. The vendor tried to update the device driver, but it never worked.
          The Gazelle has always remained a "data island".

          Jim