Re: [midatlanticretro] First exhibits - was Your weekly "today at the museum" report

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 25, 2007
      Sellam,

      We already know that people at Camp Evans paid to use the differential analyzer at the Moore School, so however tenuous, there is a link to Vannevar Bush. This would be something for someone not hyper about computers to research.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 25, 2007
        On Sat, 25 Aug 2007, Jim Scheef wrote:

        > We already know that people at Camp Evans paid to use the differential
        > analyzer at the Moore School, so however tenuous, there is a link to
        > Vannevar Bush. This would be something for someone not hyper about
        > computers to research.

        No one's really given the man the credit he (in my opinion) deserves. He
        is like a rich vein of computer history that has gone mostly untapped over
        the years. Mostly because he was a very high level mover and shaker, but
        his contributions were still monumental.

        --

        Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

      • William Donzelli
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 26, 2007
          > No one's really given the man the credit he (in my opinion) deserves.

          The military electronics historians recognize his work, and he gets due credit.

          --
          Will
        • John Allain
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 26, 2007
            >> No one's really given the man the credit he (in my opinion) deserves.

            > The military electronics historians recognize his work, and he gets due
            credit.

            If he doesn't have any museum space anywhere in the world I'd be surprised.
            If so (no space), then tremendous opportunity. But... He's known for
            thought
            experiments ... I'd kinda like building a physical memex but that would
            ignore all the real world stuff we have now and are supposed to be curating.

            Other "real world" stuff we have is members with expertise (and their own
            collections) and connections to the outside like Claude and Dimitri.

            John A.
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 27, 2007
              Sellam,

              If Vannevar Bush had pushed for electronic computers, I would agree completely. He certainly had his hand in many technology projects in the thirties and forties. My view of him is undoubtedly colored by the books I have read about ENIAC.

              Jim

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 27, 2007
                I asked Fred about VB and Camp Evans. Fred says that in one of the oral
                history projects, a former Camp Evans scientist claimed that VB did
                visit once, but that's it -- no elaboration and no evidence. Next time
                I see Fred, I will ask him if the scientist is still alive and
                accessible, and if so then I'll contact him to see if there is any other
                information about VB's visit (when it happened, for what reason, etc.)

                > We already know that people at Camp Evans paid to use the differential

                > analyzer at the Moore School, so however tenuous, there is a link to
                > Vannevar Bush. This would be something for someone not hyper about
                > computers to research.

                No one's really given the man the credit he (in my opinion) deserves.
                He
                is like a rich vein of computer history that has gone mostly untapped
                over
                the years. Mostly because he was a very high level mover and shaker,
                but
                his contributions were still monumental.

                --

                Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer
                Festival
                ------
                International Man of Intrigue and Danger
                http://www.vintage.org

                [ Old computing resources for business || Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage
                Computers ]
                [ and academia at www.VintageTech.com || at
                http://marketplace.vintage.org ]

              • Bob Grieb
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 29, 2007
                  A friend has asked if I can read some old files from
                  zip disks that were attached to a Mac. The files are
                  a combination of Quark (Express?) and pdf's. Anyone
                  think they might be able to help? I'm guessing the
                  files are 10-12 years old. Not sure.

                  Thanks,

                  Bob Grieb

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • billdeg@degnanco.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 30, 2007
                    > A friend has asked if I can read some old files from
                    > zip disks that were attached to a Mac. The files are
                    > a combination of Quark (Express?) and pdf's. Anyone
                    > think they might be able to help? I'm guessing the
                    > files are 10-12 years old. Not sure.
                    >
                    > Thanks,

                    I have a MAC/Zip set up if you have not already received an offer for
                    assistance. Contact me directly if needed.
                    Bill
                  • Dave
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 30, 2007
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote:

                      > A friend has asked if I can read some old files from
                      > zip disks that were attached to a Mac. The files are
                      > a combination of Quark (Express?) and pdf's. Anyone
                      > think they might be able to help? I'm guessing the
                      > files are 10-12 years old. Not sure.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Bob Grieb

                      If you're in a bind, you can send them to me in New Haven CT, and I
                      can pop the files onto a CD for you...

                      Dave Woyciesjes
                    • Bob Grieb
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 30, 2007
                        Thanks, Bill and Dave.

                        I will ask my friend to send the media, then
                        will be in touch.

                        Bob Grieb

                        http://mail.yahoo.com