Re: [midatlanticretro] Failed work day :(

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 25, 2007
      Not failed after all. Herb came over and we actually got a lot done. (Pictures coming soon.)

      The new status of our four museum rooms in the second building is: rooms one and two (one large, one small, both near the door) are empty and carpeted, albeit with some finishing touches needed. Rooms three and four (both small) are packed solid with computers. All four rooms are painted, not perfect but they will suffice.

      Next up: finishing the wing's entranceway and hallway. Then: we make some exhibits and move in!

      - Evan
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 26, 2007
        "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

        > Not failed after all. Herb came over and we actually got a lot
        done. (Pictures coming soon.)

        Evan and I got some stuff moved around, and the "new" exhibit room is
        mostly cleared except for two large IBM pieces of equipment, one which
        must be disassembled. Also, we shuffled stuff in another room to lay a
        used carpet.

        I also got a chance to see the most recent PDP 11/20 donation. It
        looks like a pretty complete 11/20 with a lot of manuals, schematic
        sets, and paper tape software. The 11's had a paper tape based OS
        which could be used to run software. I think that set of stuff, by
        itself, could be a good "static" display of 1970's DEC minicomputer
        technology. It shows what could be done without hard drives or even
        floppy drives! this is something Herb Johnson will think about.

        I took some photos and a short video, which I'll get to Evan.

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 26, 2007
          >>> this is something Herb Johnson will think about.

          But only in the third person. :)
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 27, 2007
            <chuckle>......................</chuckle>

            >>> this is something Herb Johnson will think about.

            But only in the third person. :)

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 28, 2007

              Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

              > <chuckle>......................</chuckle>

              My use of the third person got some attention, didn't it? Thank you.
              Now, is anyone interested in MARCH's DEC equipment? Or not? Let me
              know. I have an idea about a display.

              Herb

              Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
            • Bob Applegate
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 28, 2007
                Bob Dole said "Bob Dole is interested."

                We SHOULD be interested in DEC stuff.  While Maynard might not be considered Mid-Atlantic, DEC was
                certainly a major player in the early days.  Reading through the first issues of Dr Dobb's, lots of people
                discussed ways to run PDP-8 and PDP-11 software on their micros.  DEC had a big impact on a lot of us
                folks back in the 70s.

                Bob

                http://www.retrotec hnology.com/ herbs_stuff/ web site
                http://www.retrotec hnology.net/ herbs_stuff/ domain mirror

                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 28, 2007
                  Of course we're interested! I just think it makes more sense to save our
                  best DEC items for the exhibit on minicomputers, and/or other
                  to-be-determined exhibits, instead of using it for this first exhibit on
                  local products.

                  That being said, I suppose we can make a THIRD "first" exhibit, which
                  would just be a "best of the rest of our collection" while we continue
                  planning and restoring things. And the PDP-11 certainly would fit into
                  that category too.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 28, 2007
                    Herb,

                    I was waiting to see who else commented. Using the PDP as a static exhibit (at least to start) sounds like a great idea. It has a lot of substance with its size, the manuals and many learning opportunities with the tape OS (I'd never heard of that), etc. Do you envision signs or display cards to explain things? I'm listening...

                    Jim

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 28, 2007
                      So, I was just sending an email to Herb, and started thinking more about
                      this idea from the second paragraph of my previous email (below), re:
                      making a third "first" exhibit which would be "best of the rest' of our
                      collections. In addition to just showing off some of our more fun
                      systems, this is a good way to keep everyone interested while the club
                      focuses on other current exhibits. For example, say the current
                      under-construction exhibit in six months from now happens to be about
                      data storage, but you don't care much about data storage ... you could
                      do what Herb's doing and work on a pet project for the "best of"
                      exhibit. We can also use this exhibit space as a way to highlight
                      members' personal collections, and we can rotate that space frequently.
                      Again, for example, say there's a month when Andy is spontaneously
                      inclined to show off his Sony SMC-70, or perhaps Mark will want to do a
                      mini-OS2 exhibit around Warpstock time -- no problem, they'd just use
                      part of our exhibit space designated for this purpose. The more I
                      explain the idea, the more I like it ... keep everyone involved, use
                      more of our physical exhibit space, vary the exhibits beyond what MARCH
                      owns ... sounds good right???

                      Of course we're interested! I just think it makes more sense to save
                      our
                      best DEC items for the exhibit on minicomputers, and/or other
                      to-be-determined exhibits, instead of using it for this first exhibit on
                      local products.

                      That being said, I suppose we can make a THIRD "first" exhibit, which
                      would just be a "best of the rest of our collection" while we continue
                      planning and restoring things. And the PDP-11 certainly would fit into
                      that category too.

                      > Bob Dole said "Bob Dole is interested."
                      >
                      > We SHOULD be interested in DEC stuff. While Maynard might not be
                      > considered Mid-Atlantic, DEC was
                      > certainly a major player in the early days. Reading through the first
                      > issues of Dr Dobb's, lots of people
                      > discussed ways to run PDP-8 and PDP-11 software on their micros. DEC
                      had
                      > a big impact on a lot of us
                      > folks back in the 70s.
                      >
                      > Bob

                    • John Allain
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007
                        > The more I
                        > explain the idea, the more I like it ... keep everyone involved, use
                        > more of our physical exhibit space, vary the exhibits beyond what MARCH
                        > owns ... sounds good right???

                        Yup, Home Run.
                        ( or, >run home<, clean up systems, bring in to MARCH. )

                        I'll ramble on and add that I want to Pretend the MARCH DEC
                        systems are my own in that I'd like to spend a few _days_ treating
                        them nicely and making them runnable/clean enough for display,
                        ready to go/Inventoried/Researched, 100% museum quality.

                        John A.
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007
                          Cool! Nerd fight!! John has a height advantage, but Herb is clever.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007

                            "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:
                            > Yup, Home Run.
                            > ( or, >run home<, clean up systems, bring in to MARCH. )
                            >
                            > I'll ramble on and add that I want to Pretend the MARCH DEC
                            > systems are my own in that I'd like to spend a few _days_ treating
                            > them nicely and making them runnable/clean enough for display,
                            > ready to go/Inventoried/Researched, 100% museum quality.
                            >
                            > John A.

                            ...and Evan replied "Cool! Nerd fight!! John has a height advantage,
                            but Herb is clever...."

                            The DEC is not "mine", and I'm glad this was brought up. I don't DO
                            projects as subtext for "ownership". If I "owned" this DEC, and did
                            the work, and went away (as always happens, eventually); then the work
                            would go away. And if no one "owned" the computer later, the DEC would
                            go away.

                            That means, to me, the work was a waste of time. If something only
                            lasts as long as I'm interested, then it has no permanance, no value
                            outside myself. What's the point, in my opinion? At age 54, I think
                            about these things.

                            MARCH (or InfoAge) "owns" the collection. Herb Johnson offers to work
                            on some part, to get OTHERS interested in doing more, and to get
                            OTHERS to see what we have. The point is to INVOLVE, not to gather
                            more toys. I have plenty of toys, thanks. I made my case about the
                            value of an exhibit - the proof will be 1) does it interest visitors
                            and 2) does it interest MEMBERS.

                            Evan "got" that: we have a "go". Welcome aboard, John.

                            http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                            Herb Johnson

                            P.S.: there are several other PDP-11's on site. No shortage of 'em.
                            Two 11/10s or /05's are kinda cute...HJ

                            Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007
                              Guys ... I was only kidding around ... smile it's funny. :)

                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 30, 2007
                                Hello all,

                                From the first mention of "ownership" I took this to mean the business sense where the "owner" is the sponsor or evangelist for a particular exhibit. I really like this concept because then the "owner" could commit to be the coordinator of all work on an exhibit over time, preparing documentation, signs, work on the hardware and software, etc. Certainly there could be more than one person as owner for large and complex exhibits like this PDP, but the owner would coordinate the efforts of any and all people working on the exhibit - cleaning, documenting, restoring, whatever.

                                As we talk about exhibits, we should keep in mind that no exhibit should ever be "permanent" and hopefully all will evolve over time. To my mind, popular exhibits are the ones that several MARCHins want to work on and improve over time rather than computers that just sit there and gather dust - no matter how "cool" that computer might be. When an exhibit stops evolving it's probably time to look for something to replace it on display - some new exhibit that people are working on.

                                Filling the exhibit rooms is easy - they have been full for months! Making a *museum* educates and informs visitors will be much harder than we might think.

                                Jim

                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 30, 2007
                                  >>> Filling the exhibit rooms is easy - they have been full for months!

                                  Actually, now that we neatly rearranged everything, only two of our four rooms are full (and it's two of the small rooms!) ... But your point is very valid.